[comp.text.tex] Idea for Discussion: Remove LaTeX from TeX Group?

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (02/06/91)

Would that be a good idea to remove LaTeX related discussions from
``comp.text.TeX'' to ``comp.text.LaTeX''?

As far as code writing is concerned, Plain TeX users and LaTeX users
don't usually talk to each other. Few people use both Plain TeX and
LaTeX.  I am a Plain TeX user and not interested in how to do this and
that in LaTeX. And I presume that a LaTeX user is not interested in how
to do this and that in Plain TeX. Separation of LaTeX will do good for
Plain TeX people as well as LaTeX people.

LaTeX is designed the way as it is, it is inappropriate and a waste of
time to ask it to do things it is not designed to do. In that case, I
would think one should write one's own macro based on *original* TeX.
[It seems to me that everything LaTeX can do Plain TeX can but not the
opposite.]  I think the One of the author [Karl Berry?] of eplain.tex say
the same thing in the readme file I quoted below:

``If you think of additional features that would be useful, or extensions
to existing ones, let me know.  I am interested in providing macros
that support formatting, not ones which do the formatting.  (Which is
to say, I am not planning on writing another LaTeX; I will not include,
say, a macro to produce a chapter heading.)''

By the way, eplain is a very nice set of macros that every one should
be using.  It is available from

labrea.stanford.edu [36.8.0.47] might under the dir of karl_berry
ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.1]  \TeX\eplain
june.cs.washington.edu [128.95.1.4]

Also the Book by the eplain authors ``TeX for the Impatient'' is very
nice book to have. Knuth's Book is the original source of info, but it
seems that the info is scattered around in the book. Every time when I
try to find something, I have to locate the page numberS from the index
and go through different sections of the Book. The ``TeX for the
Impatient'' put related topics together:

Commands for composing paragraphs
Commands for composing pages
Commands for composing horizontal and vertical modes

Just to quote just a few chapters.

Karl's address is ``karl@cs.umb.edu'' if you need to talk to him.
And Paul Abrahams [First author]'s addresses :

Paul Abrahams
214 River Road
Deerfield, MA 01342
Abrahams%Wayne-MTS@um.cc.umich.edu

According to the Book ``TeX for the impatient''.

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (02/07/91)

In article <58132@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:

   As far as code writing is concerned, Plain TeX users and LaTeX users
   don't usually talk to each other. Few people use both Plain TeX and
   LaTeX.
oh, come on! LaTeX is an extension (more or less) of Plain TeX. I
don't use the `tex' command per se more than once a month, but I do
read the stuff people post when they are discussing macro-writing
problems. we are *not* in two different camps

   time to ask it to do things it is not designed to do. In that case, I
   would think one should write one's own macro based on *original* TeX.
people keep on about plain TeX as if it were the word of God. It
isn't. Knuth wrote a document compiler, and offered a sample set of
macros to show how to do it, and for his own purposes. Lamport used
Knuth's code and extended it. Being `original' ie `first' doesnt mean `best'

sebastian
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

Damian.Cugley@prg.ox.ac.uk (Damian Cugley) (02/07/91)

From:		Xiaofei Wang <xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu>
Message-Id:	<58132@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>

> Would that be a good idea to remove LaTeX related discussions from
> ``comp.text.TeX'' to ``comp.text.LaTeX''?

Yes!!  Sounds doubleplusgood to me.  (The names would have to be downcased.)

An alternative would be to always have `LaTeX' in the subject line when
talking about problems with LaTeX...

> As far as code writing is concerned, Plain TeX users and LaTeX users
> don't usually talk to each other. Few people use both Plain TeX and
> LaTeX.  I am a Plain TeX user and not interested in how to do this and
> that in LaTeX.

I feel the same -- normally I use plain TeX, or rather macro packages of
my own devising.  Partly because, by the nature of TeX code, trying to
get someone else's macros to work is so much hassle it's just as easy to
write my own.  (The number of times I was forced to read the LaTeX
source to get around holes in the manual...!)

> LaTeX is designed the way as it is, it is inappropriate and a waste of
> time to ask it to do things it is not designed to do. In that case, I
> would think one should write one's own macro based on *original* TeX.

I used LaTeX to do some maths but ended up writing an enormous so-called
style file to get the things I wanted.  LaTeX has many holes that can
only be patched with arcane plain-TeX knowledge or non-standard style
files full of same.  (A lot of this should have been avoided through
"hooks" allowing the user to insert code into standard macros without
rewriting them.)

 //- Damian Cugley ----\  /--- Oxford University Computing Laboratory, -\
 ||  pdc@prg.ox.ac.uk  || \--- 11 Keble Rd, Oxford, UK  OX1 3QD --------/
 ||  pdc@uk.ac.ox.prg  ||
  \--------------------//   "His feet are the wrong size for his shoes."

ruberman@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (02/07/91)

I strongly disagree with the idea of separating LaTeX and TeX discussion
groups.  In fact, although I use LaTeX, I tend to use TeX for writing macros
since there are many things which are direct to do in TeX but are quite
awkward to write in LaTeX.  On the other hand, I'm unwilling to give up
the theorem numbering and labelling capabilities of LaTeX.  So I at least
am interested in discussions from both sides of the fence and would vote to
keep the two together.
		Daniel Ruberman
	ruberman@binah.cc.brandeis.edu

adrian@mti.mti.com (Adrian McCarthy) (02/08/91)

(Xiaofei Wang) writes:
>Would that be a good idea to remove LaTeX related discussions from
>``comp.text.TeX'' to ``comp.text.LaTeX''?
>
>As far as code writing is concerned, Plain TeX users and LaTeX users
>don't usually talk to each other. Few people use both Plain TeX and
>LaTeX.

Really?  I (and several other people I know) work in both plain TeX and
LaTeX regularly.  When I create a new set of plain TeX macros, I usually
document them with LaTeX.

I have also posted general queries to this group on ``how do I do this?'' and
get a mixed bag of results from *both* plain TeX and LaTeX users.  I value
this kind of response because it lets me evaluate different approaches
(using plain TeX macros vs. writing a LaTeX style file).  It also gives me
insights on what's right and what's wrong with the LaTeX design philosophy
that I can apply when creating my own macro packages.

I'm afraid that if TeX and LaTeX were split into two groups, there would just
be a lot of cross posting.  And some irregular readers, unaware of the
distinction between the groups are going to post to the wrong one.  In other
words, I really don't think it'll improve the bandwidth utilization.

Is it possible to use a kill file to eliminate all messages with ``LaTeX''
in the header?  It seems to me that nearly all of the strictly LaTeX
questions usually have this in the subject line.  Perhaps you could also
add a few other keywords like ``documentstyle''.  This will probably
reduce the LaTeX traffic you see as much as splitting the group.

How about AMS-TeX?  And all these other tools and font requests that appear
here?  Should we split those into separate groups too?  Where do DVI-driver
questions and information belong?  How about spelling checkers which
understand how to deal with TeX and LaTeX?  Personally, I'm not much
interested in typesetting math or (with rare exception) locating some
exotic font.

Aid.  (adrian@gonzo.mti.com)

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss) (02/08/91)

There is enough overlap that I'd end up reading both groups, etc. Consider,
for example, the issues of dvips, specials, fonts, PostScript, MF, ..... But
since I'd read both, I guess I don't care too much if others want it split ....
--

		J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
		Lederle Graduate Research Center

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (02/09/91)

In article <58132@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, xiaofei@acsu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
>Would that be a good idea to remove LaTeX related discussions from
>``comp.text.TeX'' to ``comp.text.LaTeX''?

I think this is a drasTeX measure.

This is like deciding to split rec.autos into rec.autos.manual and
rec.autos.automatic.  There are too many people interested in both
sides and there is too much overlap for the split to be worthwhile.

If such a split were undertaken, I forsee rampant cross-posting,
which will defeat the purpose of the split anyway.

Besides, we're supposed to be one big happy family.  The REAL enemy is
troff! (No!  Wait!  I didn't really say that!) :-) (Honest, some of my
best friends use troff...)

steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) (02/09/91)

Terrible idea.  Most of the topics in comp.text.tex are not specific
to either LaTeX or Plain--they include such things as:

o Metafont

o Device drivers

o the latest version of TeX for the XXX machine, or problems compiling
  TeX on XXX, or the like

o general questions about macros, input, output, running TeX, etc.
  which usually apply to both versions.

LaTeX is, after all, an extension of Plain TeX.  I mostly use LaTeX,
because it gives me a lot of useful stuff I would otherwise have to
write myself, but that doesn't keep me from writing my own macro
packages to extend it, or using plain TeX when I have to.
--
\ --Steve Savitzky--  \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE! \
 \ steve@advansoft.COM \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<disclaimer.h>   \

cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) (02/10/91)

In article <58132@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
>Few people use both Plain TeX and LaTeX.  I am a Plain TeX user and not
>interested in how to do this and that in LaTeX. And I presume that a LaTeX
>user is not interested in how qto do this and that in Plain TeX.

I think you presume wrong.  I use LaTeX almost exclusively, because it makes
so many things less messy, but I often have to drop down into plain TeX to do
things not covered by LaTeX.  LaTeX is, after all, more or less a superset of
plain TeX.

>Separation of LaTeX will do good for Plain TeX people as well as LaTeX
>people.

It certainly won't do the LaTeX people any good.  The answer to a sticky LaTeX
problem is generally in plain TeX, so I predict a lot of cross-posting from
there, to pick up on the TeX experts.  Also, all LaTeX users will have to read
the TeX group as well, to keep up on MF, device drivers, fonts, etc.

>LaTeX is designed the way as it is, it is inappropriate and a waste of time
>to ask it to do things it is not designed to do. In that case, I would think
>one should write one's own macro based on *original* TeX.

But that doesn't mean you have to ditch LaTeX and re-write all the things it
was doing right for you.

>[It seems to me that everything LaTeX can do Plain TeX can but not the
>opposite.]

Of course, since LaTeX is written in TeX.

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcsun!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv@uk.ac.warwick             INET:   cudcv@warwick.ac.uk

beck@bongo.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) (02/10/91)

steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) writes:

>Terrible idea.  Most of the topics in comp.text.tex are not specific
>to either LaTeX or Plain--they include such things as:

>o Metafont

>o Device drivers

>o the latest version of TeX for the XXX machine, or problems compiling
>  TeX on XXX, or the like

>o general questions about macros, input, output, running TeX, etc.
>  which usually apply to both versions.

>LaTeX is, after all, an extension of Plain TeX.

Is this true?  Seems to me that there is stuff which works on Plain TeX
but not on LaTeX.

Alternate idea: introduce comp.text.tex.la and perhaps comp.text.tex.plain,
dealing with issues specific to those macro packages.

Micah Beck
Cornell CS Dept.

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (02/10/91)

beck@bongo.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) writes:

>steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) writes:

>>Terrible idea.  Most of the topics in comp.text.tex are not specific
>>to either LaTeX or Plain--they include such things as:

Agree.

>Alternate idea: introduce comp.text.tex.la and perhaps comp.text.tex.plain,
>dealing with issues specific to those macro packages.

See above argument.

I've heard this suggestion before, and it is usually the complaint
of plain TeX users who don't want to hear about LaTeX. On the other hand,
most LaTeX users have to know (sometimes quite a lot) about `pure' TeX,
what is usually qualified as `plain' TeX, but incorrectly.

The only viable proposal for separation would be to move
supersets of pure TeX (or plain for that matter, LaTeX and
just about every package I know is a superset of plain)
to a subgroup.

But then, I'm tired of all these people asking:
- where do I get TeX for the XYZ computer
- how do I use Postscript
- who has a modedef for the ABC (read: ln03) printer

Shouldn't we have separate groups for all of that?

Let's just stick together, the amount of messages is not
that large, and we can all learn from each other.

V.

sean@castle.ed.ac.uk (S Matthews) (02/10/91)

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) writes:

>Let's just stick together, the amount of messages is not
>that large, and we can all learn from each other.

>V.

This puts it perfectly.

I sometimes think might be nice would be a comp.text.tex.sources, but
few people seem to post sources. Maybe a group would encourage them?

And, apart from that, I am happy to deal with the amount that is posted.
(So I throw away most of it, but at least I know what I am throwing
away, if you split the groups then probably I will not bother to read
the one with less stuff in it that I am interested in, missing some
stuff, and not seeing questions that I might be able to answer.)

Sean

maschler@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL (MICHAEL MASCHLER) (02/11/91)

In article <DAMIAN.CUGLEY.91Feb7112825@msc2.prg.ox.ac.uk>, Damian.Cugley@prg.ox.ac.uk (Damian Cugley) writes...
>From:		Xiaofei Wang <xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu>
>Message-Id:	<58132@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>
>
>> Would that be a good idea to remove LaTeX related discussions from
>> ``comp.text.TeX'' to ``comp.text.LaTeX''?

..

>> LaTeX is designed the way as it is, it is inappropriate and a waste of
>> time to ask it to do things it is not designed to do. In that case, I
>> would think one should write one's own macro based on *original* TeX.
>
>I used LaTeX to do some maths but ended up writing an enormous so-called
>style file to get the things I wanted.  LaTeX has many holes that can
>only be patched with arcane plain-TeX knowledge or non-standard style
>files full of same.  (A lot of this should have been avoided through
>"hooks" allowing the user to insert code into standard macros without
>rewriting them.)
>

> //- Damian Cugley ----\  /--- Oxford University Computing Laboratory, -\
> ||  pdc@prg.ox.ac.uk  || \--- 11 Keble Rd, Oxford, UK  OX1 3QD --------/
> ||  pdc@uk.ac.ox.prg  ||
>  \--------------------//   "His feet are the wrong size for his shoes."

Without expressing any opinion on the merits/drawbacks of Latex,
because I never had a chance to study it seriously, I want to point out
the existence of a package entitled LamS-TeX, written by Michael Spivak,
that adds many LateX features and other features to AMS-TeX. It has the
following advantages:

1. It is compatible with plain.tex as well as AMS-TeX (written by the
   same author).

2. As a consequence of 1., it is quite convenient for typesetting
   mathematical formulas.

3. I gives the reader a lot of options to devise his own style.

4. It enables relatively easy ways to typeset complicated table,
   place figures in various places on apage, draw commutative diagrams
   ands many other features.

Michael Maschler                        One should observe two rules
Department of Mathematics               in order to succeed in one's career:
The Hebrew University
Jerusalem, Israel                       1. Never reveal to others everything
                                           you know.

kurzi@netmbx.UUCP (Dieterich) (02/12/91)

In article <58132@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
>Would that be a good idea to remove LaTeX related discussions from
>``comp.text.TeX'' to ``comp.text.LaTeX''?
>
>Few people use both Plain TeX and
>LaTeX.  I am a Plain TeX user and not interested in how to do this and
>that in LaTeX. And I presume that a LaTeX user is not interested in how
>to do this and that in Plain TeX. Separation of LaTeX will do good for
>Plain TeX people as well as LaTeX people.

This is a good idea for two reasons:
1. (mentioned above).
2. most users frustrated by otheways of writing (pencil, typewriter, word,...)
   start with LaTeX. For them it isn't very helpful to become familiar with
   hints on formatting formula-type x (...) with Tex. While reading this
   newsgroup I think LaTeX questions (and hints) are more general ones.
   Tex articles seem to deal with very specialized features of Tex. So
   the readers of this newsgroup seem to be a very heterogenous group.

sdawalt@cs.wright.edu (Shane Dawalt) (02/12/91)

From article <58132@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, by xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang):
> Would that be a good idea to remove LaTeX related discussions from
> ``comp.text.TeX'' to ``comp.text.LaTeX''?

  I think it would be a good idea since, as was mentioned, LaTeX and
TeX have different methods for doing some similar operation.  It might
be nice to separate the groups to reduce the twining of message
threads which can only be confusing to those involved.

> LaTeX is designed the way as it is, it is inappropriate and a waste of
> time to ask it to do things it is not designed to do. In that case, I
> would think one should write one's own macro based on *original* TeX.
> [It seems to me that everything LaTeX can do Plain TeX can but not the
> opposite.]

  Ummm, the idea of LaTeX is to remove the user from the complexity
of TeX.  Of course TeX can do what LaTeX can do, LaTeX is, after all,
a subset of TeX.  LaTeX was not built to become a new TeX, but to make
common functions easier to use, thus, LaTeX cannot do everything TeX can.
On the other hand, LaTeX does allow the user to enter TeX commands if
needs arise.  I'm not sure how since I don't understand TeX commands
to begin with.

  Shane();

From the keyboard of:			     email: sdawalt@cs.wright.edu
	Shane A. Dawalt

ef@tools.uucp (Edgar Fuss) (02/13/91)

> Would that be a good idea to remove LaTeX related discussions from
> ``comp.text.TeX'' to ``comp.text.LaTeX''?
What about comp.text.tex.latex and comp.text.tex.plain?