[comp.text.tex] DECUS TeX's DVItoVDU

jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) (02/13/91)

I grabbed the DECUS-TeX distribution off wuarchive.wustl.edu for
VMS and I'm starting to think I'm the first person to ever do this...

Anyway, I have a couple of problems.  First the STARTUP.COM file
mixes FONT_MF and FONT.MF in some logical assignments.  No big deal,
but I start wondering if anyone ever tried to use the system as
it lands on your disk.

More annoying is my favorite DVItoVDU program.  I have an older
copy that forced me to name my pxl files in a certain manner (directories
and not .1500pk).  The DECUS font files (TEX_FONTS.BCK) are stored
in directories still--which I think is good since it makes for smaller
directory files.  Anyway, I assumed that someone must have merged
all the programs together to use the same format, and I was glad it
wasn't me.  After all, I don't have a modula-2 compiler.

*But*, the first time I run DVItoVDU it tells me
"can't open dummy font TEX_PXLDIR:CMR10.1500PXLONT"

What other surprises lie in store for me?  How much is integrated
to work together?  Has anyone else solved these incompatibility problems?
I'm going to want to run DVItoVDU, DVITYPE, one of the LN03 drivers, and a
postscript driver.  I expect to use the LN03 fonts on the DECUS tape with
my postscript printer.  (The help file says it works "exellant".)

Anyway, I'm only partially complaining.  DECUS deserves a *lot* of credit
for putting this all together.  I am, however, looking for any advice
from other DECUS-TeX users.
--
	John Campbell               jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu
                                    CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet

jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) (02/14/91)

From article <3321@naucse.cse.nau.edu>, by jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell):

> *But*, the first time I run DVItoVDU it tells me
> "can't open dummy font TEX_PXLDIR:CMR10.1500PXLONT"

My apologies to everyone.  DECUS TeX works great--I just had to make
sure that every VMS logical name was working.  I'd still like to
hear from other DECUS TeX users, however.  How did you choose which
russian cyrillic font to work with, etc?

Thanks, sorry for the false alarm in my previous message!

--

nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil (02/14/91)

In article <3321@naucse.cse.nau.edu>, jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) writes:
> I grabbed the DECUS-TeX distribution off wuarchive.wustl.edu for
> VMS and I'm starting to think I'm the first person to ever do this...
>
> Anyway, I have a couple of problems.  First the STARTUP.COM file
> mixes FONT_MF and FONT.MF in some logical assignments.  No big deal,
> but I start wondering if anyone ever tried to use the system as
> it lands on your disk.
>
> More annoying is my favorite DVItoVDU program.  I have an older
> copy that forced me to name my pxl files in a certain manner (directories
> and not .1500pk).  The DECUS font files (TEX_FONTS.BCK) are stored
> in directories still--which I think is good since it makes for smaller
> directory files.  Anyway, I assumed that someone must have merged
> all the programs together to use the same format, and I was glad it
> wasn't me.  After all, I don't have a modula-2 compiler.
>
> *But*, the first time I run DVItoVDU it tells me
> "can't open dummy font TEX_PXLDIR:CMR10.1500PXLONT"
>
> What other surprises lie in store for me?  How much is integrated
> to work together?  Has anyone else solved these incompatibility problems?
> I'm going to want to run DVItoVDU, DVITYPE, one of the LN03 drivers, and a
> postscript driver.  I expect to use the LN03 fonts on the DECUS tape with
> my postscript printer.  (The help file says it works "exellant".)
>
> Anyway, I'm only partially complaining.  DECUS deserves a *lot* of credit
> for putting this all together.  I am, however, looking for any advice
> from other DECUS-TeX users.
> --
> 	John Campbell               jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu
>                                     CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet
> 	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

My bet is that you have used rooted logicals for the font logical names
(specifically TEX_PKDIR).  DVItoVDU does not like rooted logicals in the
logical name for TEX_PKDIR.  Check your definition for TEX_PKDIR and make sure
you have only real device specifications in that logical.

I am adding some comments to the startup file to indicate not to use rooted
logicals in certain other logical names.

--

Ted Nieland				nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil
Control Data Corporation		nieland@dayfac.cdc.com

DECUS TeX Collection Editor