[comp.text.tex] dvijep & HP laserjet IIp problems

vic@sci.kun.nl (Victor Langeveld) (02/13/91)

Hi !

  I've compiled dvijep (version 2.09) on a decstation 5000/200,
Ultrix 4.0 (rev. 179) and it runs fine for smaller files (less then
4 pages). Larger files can be compiled too, but when I print them
on a HP laserjet IIp, something goes wrong: The last 4 pages,
which it starts with, are printed the way they should, but then
the HP starts making a mess of it. Sometimes it repeats the last 4
pages randomly, sometimes it prints out a random page. The symptoms
are the same for plain LaTeX text as well as exotic formula's,
small fonts as well as large fonts.
Clean ascii comes out ok, even when the output exceeds 30 pages.
Can dvijep handle the ljIIp ? Any ideas ?
(Since I don't read articles in this group normally, I don't know
wether this problem has been discussed before. Sorry if it has..)

Please reply by e-mail.

   Vic (vic@sci.kun.nl)

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (02/13/91)

I would check the print spooling mechanism  on the VAX to the
HP. These symptoms  are little like those under MSDOS if the
infinite retry option on LPT1 is not enabled.
Clarence Wilkerson

n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) (02/14/91)

vic@sci.kun.nl (Victor Langeveld) writes:

>Hi !

>  I've compiled dvijep (version 2.09) on a decstation 5000/200,
>Ultrix 4.0 (rev. 179) and it runs fine for smaller files (less then
>4 pages). Larger files can be compiled too, but when I print them
>on a HP laserjet IIp, something goes wrong: The last 4 pages,
>which it starts with, are printed the way they should, but then
>the HP starts making a mess of it. Sometimes it repeats the last 4
>pages randomly, sometimes it prints out a random page. The symptoms
>are the same for plain LaTeX text as well as exotic formula's,
>small fonts as well as large fonts.
>Clean ascii comes out ok, even when the output exceeds 30 pages.
>Can dvijep handle the ljIIp ? Any ideas ?

I use dvijep on an MS-DOS system with a IIp regularly, and it works fine.
The problem must be related to the way your particular system handles
printer output.

Kris.
--
Kriston M. Bruland          |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .
n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu |    .   .     . .        .        . .       .   .