[comp.text.tex] LaTeX line spacing...

KATAN@CGRVAX.UWaterloo.CA ("Kim A. Tan") (02/14/91)

Good day!

I have a question about single spacing Table in a double spacing (set by
\beselinestretch=2.0) document. Is there a easy solution to have
single spacing Tables in a double spacing document? Thanks!

--Kim "KATAN @ CGRVAX.UWaterloo.CA"

bed_gdg@SHSU.BITNET ("George D. Greenwade") (02/14/91)

On Thu, 14 Feb 1991 08:27:47 CST, Kim A. Tan <KATAN@CGRVAX.UWaterloo.CA>
asks:
> I have a question about single spacing Table in a double spacing (set by
> \beselinestretch=2.0) document. Is there a easy solution to have single
> spacing Tables in a double spacing document? Thanks!

There is a generally-available style file in LaTeX, doublespace.sty, which
handles this for you.  I have just now placed it for retrieval on
FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET as DOUBLESPACE.STY.  To get this file, send the
command SENDME STY.DOUBLESPACE in the body of a MAIL message to
FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET.  This style turns off doublespacing in floats and
footnotes and allows for toggling between double and single spacing in a
document.

Kim, I am sending this directly; for all else, it is at FILESERV.
Eventually, all of the generally-available files will be there; your
patience is appreciated as we do this.

George
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
George D. Greenwade, Ph.D.                            Bitnet:  BED_GDG@SHSU
Department of Economics and Business Analysis         THEnet: SHSU::BED_GDG
P. O. Box 2118                                        Voice: (409) 294-1266
Sam Houston State University                          FAX:   (409) 294-3612
Huntsville, TX 77341            Internet: bed_gdg%shsu.decnet@relay.the.net
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

max@NIC.GAC.EDU (Max Hailperin) (02/14/91)

   Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 09:24 EDT
   From: "Kim A. Tan" <KATAN@cgrvax.uwaterloo.ca>

   Good day!

   I have a question about single spacing Table in a double spacing (set by
   \beselinestretch=2.0) document. Is there a easy solution to have
   single spacing Tables in a double spacing document? Thanks!

   --Kim "KATAN @ CGRVAX.UWaterloo.CA"

A while back, I wrote a style file for someone else who wanted to do this.
(Actually, it was a good bit fancier, allowing separate settings for different
types of floats (tables/figures/...), allowing the captions to be a different
spacing than the body of the floats, whatever.  I don't recall the details,
but it should serve.)

Embarassingly, I can't find a copy of it anywhere.  As best I recall, it was
called fbls.sty.  Does anyone out there in netland have a copy of fbls.sty
before we reinvent the wheel?

Thanks.

tvz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Timothy Van Zandt) (02/14/91)

In article <5E6FF2152000E392@post-office.uh.edu> KATAN@CGRVAX.UWaterloo.CA ("Kim A. Tan") writes:
>Good day!
>
>I have a question about single spacing Table in a double spacing (set by
>\beselinestretch=2.0) document. Is there a easy solution to have
>single spacing Tables in a double spacing document? Thanks!

Just reset the baselinestretch in the beginning of the table environment
and set it back at the end.

Two caveats:

1. \baselinestretch takes on its newly assigned value only when
there is a type-size change (or a \begin{document}). Just put
something like \large\normalsize after you redefine \baselinestretch.

2. The positioning of \renewcommand{\baselinestretch} is important so that
you change the spacing in a table, but not in surrounding text. For example,
suppose that you have a tabular environment inside a table or center
environment. Changing the spacing within the tabular environment has no
effect. Changing the spacing before the center environment may also change
the spacing of the paragraph the centering environment is part of. This
works:

\begin{center}
\tablespacing
\begin{tabular}{cc}
  foo & bar \\
\end{tabular}
\linespacing
\end{center}

if in the preamble you have the following definitions:

\newcommand{\linespacing}{\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{2}\large\normalsize}
\newcommand{\tablespacing}{\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1}\large\normalsize}

xiaofei@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU (02/15/91)

**  On Thu, 14 Feb 1991 08:27:47 CST, Kim A. Tan <KATAN@CGRVAX.UWaterloo.CA>
**  asks:
**  > I have a question about single spacing Table in a double spacing (set by
**  > \beselinestretch=2.0) document. Is there a easy solution to have single
**  > spacing Tables in a double spacing document? Thanks!
**
**  There is a generally-available style file in LaTeX, doublespace.sty, which
**  handles this for you.  I have just now placed it for retrieval on
**  FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET as DOUBLESPACE.STY.  To get this file, send the
**  command SENDME STY.DOUBLESPACE in the body of a MAIL message to
**  FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET.  This style turns off doublespacing in floats and
**  footnotes and allows for toggling between double and single spacing in a
**  document.

The original post asks a ``simple'' solution I don't understand why
people tend to give ``complicated'' solution. I am surprised that it
needs a doublespace.sty to do double spacing. As a Plain TeX user, I
may underestimate the problem you have. The following ``simple'' LaTeX
file I wrote using Plain TeX commands switch back and forth between
double spacing and single spacing [or any kind of spacing with slight
modifications], am I so naive?

\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}

\multiply\baselineskip by 2

I am not a \LaTeX user so I don't know much about \LaTeX. I think \LaTeX
is designed the way it is, if you ask it to do something it was not designed,
it is not fair.

\baselineskip=0.5\baselineskip
\bigskip

In that case, I think you need to use Plain \TeX\ instead of \LaTeX.
Thanks for eplain, we Plain \TeX users have both the \LaTeX's convenience
and Plain \TeX's flexibilility.

\multiply\baselineskip by 2

As I said in the first paragraph, I am not a \LaTeX user. The solution I
provide here used \TeX\ commands. Is this waht the original post asks?

\end{document}

xiaofei@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU (02/15/91)

To make my answer complete, I added two tables [one ruled one unruled]
in the single spaced paragraph and it works fine.

%%% Cut Here %%%
\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}

\multiply\baselineskip by 2

I am not a \LaTeX user so I don't know much about \LaTeX. I think \LaTeX
is designed the way it is, if you ask it to do something it was not designed,
it is not fair.

\baselineskip=0.5\baselineskip
\bigskip

In that case, I think you need to use Plain \TeX\ instead of \LaTeX.
Thanks for eplain, we Plain \TeX users have both the \LaTeX's convenience
and Plain \TeX's flexiblility.

{\halign to 1.0 in{\hfil#\hfil&\hfil#\hfil\cr
 cattle&herd\cr
 fish&school\cr
 lion&pride\cr}}

\begin{tabular}{|c|c|} \hline
\begin{tabular}{c} Column \\ \#1 \end{tabular} &
\begin{tabular}{c} Column \#2 \end{tabular} \\ \hline
1985 & 43.2 \\ \hline
1992 & 51.6 \\ \hline
\end{tabular}

nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) (02/15/91)

In <9102141742.AA00137@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu> xiaofei@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU writes:

>**  On Thu, 14 Feb 1991 08:27:47 CST, Kim A. Tan <KATAN@CGRVAX.UWaterloo.CA>
>**  asks:
>**  > I have a question about single spacing Table in a double spacing (set by
>**  > \beselinestretch=2.0) document. Is there a easy solution to have single
>**  > spacing Tables in a double spacing document? Thanks!
>**
>**  There is a generally-available style file in LaTeX, doublespace.sty, which
>**  handles this for you.  I have just now placed it for retrieval on
>**  FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET as DOUBLESPACE.STY.  To get this file, send the
>**  command SENDME STY.DOUBLESPACE in the body of a MAIL message to
>**  FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET.  This style turns off doublespacing in floats and
>**  footnotes and allows for toggling between double and single spacing in a
>**  document.

I think that the style setspace.sty is more flexible (and generally
dominates) doublespace.sty. Not that doublespace.sty is bad. This is
the end of useful information in this post. What follows is part of
a flame war. For those not interested in rec.newsgroups.tex.which.is
.better hit the n button now!.

>The original post asks a ``simple'' solution I don't understand why
>people tend to give ``complicated'' solution. I am surprised that it
>needs a doublespace.sty to do double spacing. As a Plain TeX user, I
>may underestimate the problem you have. The following ``simple'' LaTeX
>file I wrote using Plain TeX commands switch back and forth between
>double spacing and single spacing [or any kind of spacing with slight
>modifications], am I so naive?

TEX SOLUTION DELETED
>In that case, I think you need to use Plain \TeX\ instead of \LaTeX.
>Thanks for eplain, we Plain \TeX users have both the \LaTeX's convenience
>and Plain \TeX's flexibilility.
>
>As I said in the first paragraph, I am not a \LaTeX user. The solution I
>provide here used \TeX\ commands. Is this waht the original post asks?

We have had more traffic on splitting rec.text.tex and the
advantages of tex over latex in the last week than we have had
useful traffic over that time period. (So I add to the useless
traffic.)

There are lots of issues to double spacing and single spacing. For
example, even if idiot editors want double spaced output, you
usually want single spaced footnotes at the bottom of the page. The
setspace macro handles this (and other odd spacings) for you,
automatically. Sure TeX can do this (you could even rewrite LaTeX).
But I don't want to bother. Why keep reinventing the wheel. So I see
nothing embarassing about using setspace.sty. It is nice to be able
to use TeX directly for the situations when some nice person has not
already provided a .sty, but there are a remarkable number of .sty
files. So for those of us whose job it is to produce words (maybe
even ideas?), not pretty output, but who like pretty output, the
laTeX plus styles solution works pretty well.

Flames to rec.comp.tex.newsgroups.which.is.better

So let us keep to one happy newsgroup, since we all know that laTeX
users really need to know some TeX and TeX users are pretty good
with kill files.

Neal

Neal Beck
Dept of Politcal Science, UCSD
beck@ucsd.edu
Dislaimer: The Regents pay me (a bit!) to distribute my opinions.

akgul@TRBILUN.BITNET (Mustafa Akgul) (02/15/91)

To have a single spacing in the middle of double spacing document
just write
%%%%
{\def\baselinestretch{1}\large\normalsize

...... Single space material

}

%%%%
By the way double spacing is too wide! . It could be better to use 1.5
or somethng like spacing

Best regards
Mustafa Akgul
Bilkent University
Ankara

clipper@no19sun.csd.uwo.ca (Khun Yee Fung) (02/15/91)

In article <nbeck.666569026@weber.ucsd.edu> nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) writes:

   [Included quotes deleted]

   I think that the style setspace.sty is more flexible (and generally
   dominates) doublespace.sty. ....

   [The rest of the article deleted]

Can you tell us where to find setspace.sty? Our university demands
double spacing in our theses. The most I could get away was 1 1/2
spacing. I have been using the `simple' method for switching to and
from double (1 1/2) and single spacing for 3 years but wish to have a
better method. I want to have a double spaced thesis text but single
spacing for code fragments, generated by tgrind.  Tgrind is not
cooperating with the simple method and the spacing is all wrong for my
thesis right now.

By the way, I don't understand the debate (flame war?) on whether
LaTeX or plain TeX is superior. Why the debate? I am confused.  I
happen to use LaTeX to do my daily formatting chores and TeX to write
style files to satisfy our thesis office's requirements. Other people
(in Western) will be able to use my set of macros to typeset their
theses to follow the same set of rules imposed by the thesis office.
Is the style file useless outside Western? Most probably. But the
people after me do not have to worry about the format of their theses.
Is LaTeX better?  No, because I use TeX to write the style file,
right?  I can't see any problem any where.

Keep the newsgroup for both TeX and LaTeX too. I read articles on both
TeX and LaTeX.  Wish I can read articles on amsTeX and amsLaTeX.

Khun Yee
----
Khun Yee Fung    clipper@csd.uwo.ca (Internet)
Alternative: 4054_3267@UWOVAX.BITNET
Department of Computer Science
Middlesex College
The University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario, N6A 5B7  CANADA
--
----

dhosek@freke.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/16/91)

In article <9102141742.AA00137@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu>, xiaofei@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU writes:
> **  On Thu, 14 Feb 1991 08:27:47 CST, Kim A. Tan <KATAN@CGRVAX.UWaterloo.CA>
> **  asks:
> **  > I have a question about single spacing Table in a double spacing (set by
> **  > \beselinestretch=2.0) document. Is there a easy solution to have single
> **  > spacing Tables in a double spacing document? Thanks!

> **  There is a generally-available style file in LaTeX, doublespace.sty, which
> **  handles this for you.  I have just now placed it for retrieval on
> **  FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET as DOUBLESPACE.STY.  To get this file, send the
> **  command SENDME STY.DOUBLESPACE in the body of a MAIL message to
> **  FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET.  This style turns off doublespacing in floats and
> **  footnotes and allows for toggling between double and single spacing in a
> **  document.

> The original post asks a ``simple'' solution I don't understand why
> people tend to give ``complicated'' solution. I am surprised that it
> needs a doublespace.sty to do double spacing. As a Plain TeX user, I
> may underestimate the problem you have. The following ``simple'' LaTeX
> file I wrote using Plain TeX commands switch back and forth between
> double spacing and single spacing [or any kind of spacing with slight
> modifications], am I so naive?

Yes.

Take a look at my posting on the point of LaTeX.

The user should never have to manually tell LaTeX to switch
spacing (after all, think of the hassles of editing a file with
numerous single-spaced quotations inside of it which is now going
to be used to create a camera-ready (singlespaced) journal
article).

The document style option doublespace comes close to fixing the
problem in allowing the user not to have to worry about line
spacing except around quotations. That's not good enough as far
as I'm concerned.

paper.sty (available from ymir.claremont.edu) was my first
attempt at providing an integrated environment that handles
double spacing. It works somewhat better than doublespace.sty but
has the defects of that option as well (in particular, there is a
tendency to put too much space above singlespaced inserts). I've
since found a way around that situation, but the solution, again,
requires close integration with the document style. The only
style(s) that I've included this in are my custom thesis styles.
Since I'm no longer writing doublespaced papers myself, the
problem of updating paper.sty is less of a concern to me so its
unlikely that my double/single spacing solutions will get seen
much until I finish my LaTeX style book or I teach another style
class for the TeX Users Group.

And for those of you who think I've been babbling about
LaTeX-specific problems all this time, try and find a simple
solution to single-spacing footnotes in a doublespaced TeX
document. The simplest solution I have (wrote it many years ago,
in fact) is in the file fnote.tex on ymir.claremont.edu in
[anonymous.tex.inputs.plain-contrib].

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.