[comp.text.tex] Wasy fonts from DHDURZ1

jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) (02/15/91)

I tried fetching the wasy fonts from LISTSERV@DHDURZ1. They come as a Zoo- and
UU-encoded archive. This uudecoded without problems, but wouldn't unzoo (zoo l
marked one of the files, wasy6.mf, as possibly corrupted; when I extracted the
files they all came out with CRC errors, and zoo hung on trying to extract
wasy6.mf. The files with CRC errors came out scrambled but almost legible--
wrong characters, transposed characters, bits missing etc. I suspect I am the
victim of some mailer translation somwehere.)

Would some kind soul who has successfully fetched these fonts send me a copy?
I promise to send them off them to the Aston archive! Don't send them straight
away--write and let me know they're coming, so I can make sure that I only get
one copy.

Thanks.

Jeremy

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
|  Jeremy Gibbons (jg@uk.ac.oxford.prg)   Funky Monkey Multimedia Corp  |
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/19/91)

In article <JG.91Feb15154740@msc11.prg.ox.ac.uk>, jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) writes:
> I tried fetching the wasy fonts from LISTSERV@DHDURZ1. They come as a Zoo- and
> UU-encoded archive. This uudecoded without problems, but wouldn't unzoo (zoo l
> marked one of the files, wasy6.mf, as possibly corrupted; when I extracted the
> files they all came out with CRC errors, and zoo hung on trying to extract
> wasy6.mf. The files with CRC errors came out scrambled but almost legible--
> wrong characters, transposed characters, bits missing etc. I suspect I am the
> victim of some mailer translation somwehere.)

> Would some kind soul who has successfully fetched these fonts send me a copy?
> I promise to send them off them to the Aston archive! Don't send them straight
> away--write and let me know they're coming, so I can make sure that I only get
> one copy.

These files are available from the Aston archive in the UK (I
forget where, but I remember seeing them).

In general, you want to get files from as close to home as
possible. if you're on JANET and you want some TeX-related
item, check Aston first. If you're on Bitnet in Europe, check
listserv@dhdurz1, internet in Europe, check praxis.cs.ruu.nl,
internet in the US, ymir.claremont.edu Bitnet in the US,
fileserv@shsu. *Then* start looking elsewhere. Both ymir and
Aston religiously track down new TeX items and put them in their
archives (and I suspect the Dutch site does as well) so just
because they aren't listed as a site for obtaining a file doesn't
mean that it's not there (I have nearly everything in the TeX
resource list, for example).

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) (02/19/91)

>I tried fetching the wasy fonts from LISTSERV@DHDURZ1.
> [Sad story deleted...]

Anyone who wants the MetaFont source for the wasy (Waldi symbol) font
can ftp it from coral.math.arizona.edu (128.196.224.6).  For the next
few days at least, it'll be in ~ftp/pub/wasy.

It contains standard astronomical signs for all the planets (\mercury,
\venus, \mars etc.), \smiley, \frownie, musical notes, an octagon, and
various other goodies.

--
Robert S. Maier   | Internet: rsm@math.arizona.edu, rsm@cs.arizona.edu
Dept. of Math.    | UUCP: uunet!arizona!amethyst!rsm