[comp.text.tex] Latex: Lining up decimal points

nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) (02/20/91)

I have been creating a lot of tables lately and in my area you have
to line up the decimal points. Several suggestions have been posted
here lately and they have all been quite useful. The easiest seems
to be the l@{.}r formulation in the argument to begin{tabular}.

But this is still a pain. Typing .02 as &&2 is something my fingers
don't want to do. And if you want an integer you have to use
multicolumn.

Now troff handles this easily with a d in the declaration. Is there
a reason that laTeX can't do this. Is there a style out there that
adds a d to the tabular argument?

As always, thanks in advance

Neal

Neal Beck
Dept of Politcal Science, UCSD
beck@ucsd.edu
Dislaimer: The Regents pay me (a bit!) to distribute my opinions.

In <nbeck.666997366@weber.ucsd.edu> nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) writes:

>I have been creating a lot of tables lately and in my area you have
>to line up the decimal points. Several suggestions have been posted
>here lately and they have all been quite useful. The easiest seems
>to be the l@{.}r formulation in the argument to begin{tabular}.

>But this is still a pain. Typing .02 as &&2 is something my fingers
>don't want to do. And if you want an integer you have to use
>multicolumn.

>Now troff handles this easily with a d in the declaration. Is there
>a reason that laTeX can't do this. Is there a style out there that
>adds a d to the tabular argument?

>As always, thanks in advance

>Neal

>Neal Beck

A bit strange to be the follower up of your own piece, but Raymond
Chen was kind enough to write me (rather quickly!) about a style,
decalign.sty which does the job. It is in ymir (thanks, Don Hosek).
It seems to work fine (the only quirk is that you have to remember
that a number with a decimal takes up two columns for skipping, and
you still have to get rid of decimal points when you skip with a
\multicolumn{2} - no biggie).

Also thanks to Stephen Meatheringham who wrote decalign. Those of us
who only consume styles are in the debt of those who write them.

I read a number of groups, and this has been by far the most helpful
group (well maybe not as useful as rec.arts.tv.soaps) to me. Thanks
to all for your help