[comp.text.tex] Question about typesetting Polish

jcb@cs.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.161114.9779@athena.mit.edu> drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) writes:

>I am trying to typeset Polish language text, and am having no luck in
>producing the accent marking the nasal "e" and "a" letters.  It is very
>similar to a cedilla accent, but points the opposite direction---sort of
>like a cedilla rotated 180 degrees about the vertical axis.  Perhaps
>a macro for this particular accent, or a font which contains it?
>If anyone knows how I might produce this accent, please post the answer.

Here is Metafont code for an ogonek. Run it with standard CM
parameter/driver files.
If you want my complete set of files for producing a font containing
this accent (together with the Old English letters eth, thorn and
yogh), ask me (or wait a couple of week, by which time I might at last
get round to putting them on the Aston archives and ymir).

cmchar "ogonek accent" ;
beginchar("n",8u#,0,.875desc_depth#) ;
adjust_fit(0,0) ;
x1 = .5w+ 1.5u ;
if serifs: pickup crisp.nib; pos1(hair,-25);
pos2(.8[vair,stem],45) ; pos3(vair,140) ;
x1 = x2+.5u ; y2 = .8[y1,y5] ;
 rt x3l = w ; y3 = .4[y5,y1] ;
 x5 = 2/5[x2,x3] ; bot y5 =-d ;
pos5(.6[vair,stem],90) ;
bot y1 = o ;
lft x4l = hround(x1-u) ; y4 = .5[y1,y2] ;
pos4(.4[hair,stem],0) ;
filldraw stroke z1e ..tension 1.2 .. z4e ..z2e .. z5e ..tension 1.2 .. z3e ;
fi
penlabels(1,2,3,4,5);
endchar ;