[comp.text.tex] request: Meta-Font with telephone symbol

teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) (02/18/91)

Is there any TeX font including a ``telephone'' symbol? I tried
dingbat.mf on ymir.claremont.edu but it has no telephone.

thanks

Gunnar Teege   Inst. fuer Informatik, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
               PO-Box 202420, 8000 Muenchen 2, Germany
teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de        +49 89 2105 8179
teege%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@{unido.uucp,relay.cs.net,unido.bitnet}

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (02/19/91)

In article <TEEGE.91Feb18101735@dssiegert4.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) writes:
>Is there any TeX font including a ``telephone'' symbol? I tried
>dingbat.mf on ymir.claremont.edu but it has no telephone.

Yes, the WASY font mentioned here recently by Jeremy does have a
little telephone.  It's in the Aston archive, and is available
from the dhdurz1 listserv, I believe.

I should like to make a plug for this font.  It is a superset of the
standard LaTeX symbol font, so you could slot it in place of that,
and it comes with example macros defining all the characters in
sensible ways.  The collection of symbols is extremely useful, including
smiley, frownie, all the IBM PC characters from 1-32, squiggly lines,
special integrals, the full APL char set, triangles (open and filled),
hexagons, and much else.  Very useful indeed.

Dominik

cheewai@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz (Wai Yeung) (02/19/91)

From article <1991Feb18.224055.22016@ioe.lon.ac.uk>, by teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK):
> In article <TEEGE.91Feb18101735@dssiegert4.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) writes:
>>Is there any TeX font including a ``telephone'' symbol? I tried
>>dingbat.mf on ymir.claremont.edu but it has no telephone.
>
> Yes, the WASY font mentioned here recently by Jeremy does have a
> little telephone.  It's in the Aston archive, and is available
> from the dhdurz1 listserv, I believe.

This may be a dumb question, but I think I have to ask. Where is (or what is the
Internet number) of the Aston archive?

Chee-Wai Yeung (cheewai@spectrum.cs.unsw.OZ.AU)

cczdao@mips.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (02/20/91)

In article <714@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz>, cheewai@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz
(Wai Yeung) writes:
> This may be a dumb question, but I think I have to ask. Where is (or
what is the
> Internet number) of the Aston archive?

The Aston TeX archive isn't (yet) on the Internet...
we hope to be able to offer Internet connectivity in the near future.
To use the mail server, send a message to TeXserver@tex.ac.uk with
a message body of HELP.

See the Frequently Asked Questions article regularly posted to comp.text.tex
for a list of ftp sites.

--dave
(David Osborne, pp Aston TeX Archive group)

teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) (02/22/91)

In article
<TEEGE.91Feb18101735@dssiegert4.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> I wrote:
>   Is there any TeX font including a ``telephone'' symbol? I tried
>   dingbat.mf on ymir.claremont.edu but it has no telephone.

Thanks to all who answered or mailed directly and told about the wasy
fonts. I just fetched it from listserv@dhdurz1 and it works excellent.
It is really a very nice font.

I read about someone who had problems unzooing the file from dhdurz1.
The reason seems to be the transmission over the net. I got it
directly over Bitnet and it was ok. For all nearby people (Bavaria,
Germany, ...) the file is now accessible by anon. ftp on
  gshalle3.informatik.tu-muenchen.de [131.159.0.10]
as
  archive-sw/dhdurz1.bitnet/wasy.zoo
(not uuencoded).