[comp.text.tex] dvi to hp laserjet III

madura@hobbes.chem.uh.edu (Jeffry Madura) (02/19/91)

I  would like to print TeX / LaTeX files on a HP LaserJet III.  I have
tried the LaserJet II and LaserJet II Plus dvi programs without much
success.  Does someone have the dvi driver to do the above?

Jeffry D. Madura
madura@hobbes.chem.uh.edu (129.7.3.13)

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/19/91)

In article <MADURA.91Feb18160805@hobbes.chem.uh.edu>, madura@hobbes.chem.uh.edu (Jeffry Madura) writes:
> I  would like to print TeX / LaTeX files on a HP LaserJet III.  I have
> tried the LaserJet II and LaserJet II Plus dvi programs without much
> success.  Does someone have the dvi driver to do the above?

Which programs? What OS? I personally have used the emTeX HP
driver, PTIHP and DVIlaser/HP under DOS on the LJ3 with no
problems whatsoever. Any HP driver should work correctly on the
LJ3 with no modification. It may be that your HP is defective
(although I doubt that). Is there any extra hardware plugged in
to the HP? (For example, at the risk of pointing out a
potentially obvious item, there is no way to get the LJ3 to
accept ordinary HP files while the HP PS cartridge is plugged
in.)

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

anupindi@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Ravi Anupindi) (02/20/91)

I would like to print Latex/TeX dvi files on a HP Laserjet III
from a IBM PS/2 Model 80 running DOS. Could someone tell me
where to get the relevant files from?

Ravi.

rcj@caen.engin.umich.edu (R o d Johnson) (02/20/91)

In article <12022@pt.cs.cmu.edu> anupindi@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Ravi Anupindi) writes:
>I would like to print Latex/TeX dvi files on a HP Laserjet III

Speaking of which, is there any software that makes use of the
pixel-size thingamajiggery of the HP LJ III to print TeX output?  You
know, that stuff that increases the effective resolutiion by twiddling
the pixel sizes?  Seems like such a thing would be (a) a great boon
and (b) a real bitch to implement in Metafont.  Is there any effort
being expended in this direction?

--
 Rod Johnson  *  rjohnson@vela.acs.oakland.edu  *  (313) 650 2315

                "Life has a throat" --Peter Blegvad

fmonaldo@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Monaldo Francis M. S1R x8648) (02/21/91)

We recently obtained an HP LaserJet III. In comparing the output of
the dvihp program with the output on an HP LaserJet II, the III's output
is significantly and noticably better.  It seems the improved resolution
works within the context of the same printer commands. Has anyone else noticed
this?

	fmonaldo@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu

lynch@amandla.East.Sun.COM (Brendan Lynch - Sun Boston Development Center Software) (02/21/91)

In article <369@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU> fmonaldo@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Monaldo Francis M. S1R x8648) writes:

   We recently obtained an HP LaserJet III. In comparing the output of
   the dvihp program with the output on an HP LaserJet II, the III's output
   is significantly and noticably better.  It seems the improved resolution
   works within the context of the same printer commands. Has anyone else noticed
   this?

Makes sense.  The Resolution Enhancement stuff works, as I understand
it, by doing pattern-recognition and transformations on the output
bitmap just before it is printed; so it doesn't matter whether the
bits came from graphics, a downloaded bitmap, downloaded font
characters, or characters from a scalable font.

Brendan Lynch - Software Development
Sun Microsystems Boston Development Center

EMail:	internal: lynch@East
	external: blynch@Sun.COM

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.051417.1417@engin.umich.edu>, rcj@caen.engin.umich.edu (R o d Johnson) writes:
> In article <12022@pt.cs.cmu.edu> anupindi@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Ravi Anupindi) writes:
>>I would like to print Latex/TeX dvi files on a HP Laserjet III

> Speaking of which, is there any software that makes use of the
> pixel-size thingamajiggery of the HP LJ III to print TeX output?  You
> know, that stuff that increases the effective resolutiion by twiddling
> the pixel sizes?  Seems like such a thing would be (a) a great boon
> and (b) a real bitch to implement in Metafont.  Is there any effort
> being expended in this direction?

Any HP LJ driver will do for the LJ3. I use Eberhard Mattes'
dvihplj (available from ymir.claremont.edu in
[anonymous.tex.ibm_pc.drivers.emtex]dvidrv*.zip).

The Pixel size-twiddling is automatic. In fact, there's no user
interaction with it at all (except that there is a button you can
press to turn it off. I've never heard of anyone pushing it
though). The difference in appearance appears mostly with large
fonts and slanted faces. It might be possible to sacrifice a few
birds to the gods of typefounding and get a better mode_def for
the LJ3, but I'm too lazy to bother with it right now.

-dh

(incidentally, complete lists of TeX drivers are available from
ymir in the directory [anonymous.tex.drivers.info])

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

flatau@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (flatau) (02/22/91)

 I was asked for Tex/Latex driver for DEC LJ250 printer. It evidently
 runs HP PCL Level 2 language. The printer seems to be inkjet,
 used mostly for color plots but, for reasons unknown to me, my
 friend decided to use it for TeX output. Would anybody know if
 standard HP DVI programs would work ?

 Peter