[comp.text.tex] TeXhax Digest V91 #008

TeXhax@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (02/22/91)

TeXhax Digest    Thursday,  February 21, 1991  Volume 91 : Issue 008

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

                   [svb: TeX In Practice / A Short Note.]
                             SliTeX font files
               Plotting with METAFONT / Graphics in TeX / MFplot
                    F8HYPH.TEX: which character is which?
                      TeXHAX submission (correction)
                         Postscript driver for CMS
                      APA bibliography/citation style
                          Symbol for Real Numbers
                                 Tables
                          Greek typesetting
                         Who wrote the SBTeX?
                      A response to perl hackers
                TeX bug: optional spaces are mandatory
                     Metafont source for Georgian?
                 (Ricoh mode_def) TeXhax Digest V91 #004
                 TeX hyphenation (TeXhax Digest V91 #005)
                           exercise macros

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 22:14:25 -0500
From: svb@cs.purdue.edu (Stephan Bechtolsheim)
Subject: [svb: TeX In Practice / A Short Note.]

A short note to you who wait for the completion of "TeX in Practice"

1. I am still not done.
2. The book is now 1683 pages long, this count includes all preliminaries,
	and the index (as far as the index is already done). In the end
	you will probably look at around 1750 pages.
3. Missing is:
	- about 30 pages on math.
	- one output routine which doesn't quite work, and that's
		quite a tricky beast
	- Index of volumes 2, 3, 4
	- A FINAL READING OF EVERYTHING by me, remember: 1683 pages
		where I need to look for widows and orphans, fix
		things here and there about page breaks, look
		over every summary and introduction, add index
		terms, etc.
	- editing some of the chapters and a FINAL READING by the editor.

	The last three items on the above list are the time consuming
	items, obviously.
4. I currently teach two courses here at Purdue, one I never taught
	before. Lots of work.
5. I finally came to the conclusion that during the semester I don't
	really get work done. There is so much other stuff to
	take care of. And a book of this size is something I can work
	on only concentrated on, like at least three days in a row.
	At least MY BRAIN works that way. To work on my book for two
	hours here and two hours there does ABSOLUTELY nothing to the book.
	Again, MY BRAIN works that way.

	Now, the math stuff and the output routine stuff I will
	squeeze into the semester. No problem, but the final
	reading of it I will not.
6. There is one other consideration (which was valid for all the time
	I have tried to finish it): at no point it was clear to me,
	how many copies I would sell. So I never could justify
	going to the bank and taking out a loan to pay myself a
	salery while I finish it.
	And, I am NOT a tenured faculty member who can afford
	things like writing a book.
7. Anyway, my decision is as follows:
	When the semester is over (May 2, 1991) I will take
	six to eight weeks where I do nothing else BUT the book.
	Why don't we use eight weeks right now as an estimate,
	which means it's done end of June 1991. I will certainly
	shoot for MUCH less, may be four weeks do it.
8. One implication is, of course, that the copies will not
	be available for the TUG meeting for sale. But the
	final copy will be there, so you can look at it.
9. The book should be available in September of 1991 therefore.

Sorry for that.

Stephan v. Bechtolsheim
Computer Sciences Department			svb@cs.purdue.edu
Computer Science Building			(317) 494 7802
Purdue University			   FAX: (317) 494 0739
West Lafayette, IN 47907

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 12:54:29 EST
From: FDIZ%SUVM@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: SliTeX font files

I would appreciate it if someone can tell me where I can get the
font files for SLITEX.
Thanks.
Fernando Diz
Asst. Professor of Finance
Syracuse University
FDIZ@SUVM.BITNET

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 15:30:15 CET
From: 115358%DOLUNI1.BITNET@forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Plotting with METAFONT / Graphics in TeX / MFplot

After my announcement in issue #6 I have received some queries to send
the program. I have done so in the most cases; people who did not receive
it despite asking for should send me another message (because it seems
that I have problems with the mail system and CROSSNET).

UO04@DDAGSI3.BITNET                              Friedrich Kammer
115358@DOLUNI1.BITNET

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 16:39:50 EST
From: Steve_Tinney@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: F8HYPH.TEX: which character is which?

 I just ftp'd f8hyph.tex from ymir.claremont.edu and it appears to
give hyphenation patterns for accented French letters as well as
unaccented ones. Does anyone know what the S/Z/{/} etc., stand for
in terms of a+acute, a+grave and so on? I suspect fplain.tex would
answer my question, but I couldn't find that in either babel or
plain-contrib at ymir.
  Thanks,
    Steve Tinney

Date:    Tue, 12 Feb 1991 15:07:30 CST
From: NABTEXM@RIGEL.TAMU.EDU (Neil Burleson - ACS TeX Maintenance)
Subject: TeXHAX submission (correction)

>> Is there a difference in the hyphenation rules for TeX 3.0?
>>
>> Thomas Petsche
>> petsche@leaning.siemens.com
>
>I had the same problem, and either Joachim Lammarsch or Peter Breitenlohner
>(I can't remember who gets the credit) pointed out that I needed to change
>.plain.tex too. Add
>
>      \lefthyphenmin=2 \righthyphenmin=3 % disallow x- or -xx breaks
>
>Just prior to:
>
>      \input hyphen
>
>and that ought to take care of the problem. -- Dean

Yes but this does NOT sufficiently upgrade PLAIN.TEX for use with
TEX 3.0. A NEW VERSION of PLAIN.TEX is in order here!!

Neil Burleson                        BITNet: NABTEXM@TAMSUMMA (soon: TAMACS)
TeX Team Leader                    Internet: nabtexm@summa.tamu.edu
Academic Computing Services          THEnet: ACS::NABTEXM
Texas A&M University              U.S. mail: 3902 College Main #508
ph: 845-8415, 845-5951                       Bryan, TX 77801

Date:  Tue, 12 Feb 91 09:05:38 +0200
From: Malki Cymbalista <VUMALKI%WEIZMANN@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Postscript driver for CMS

Does anyone have a DVI driver for postscript printers that runs under
CMS and allows one to include postscript pictures.  The version
I have of DVIALW does not support the \special command.  Is there
a later version?
Thanks for any info.  Malki
Bitnet: vumalki@weizmann
Internet: vumalk@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il

Date:  1 Feb 91 10:51 -0800
From: Darrell Wick <wick@instr.camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: APA bibliography/citation style

Where can we obtain a LaTeX style or option for citations and
bibliographies based on the Style Guide of the American
Psychological Association (APA)?

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 1991 18:28 MST
From: Mark Cronshaw Econ/CU-Boulder <CRONSHAW_M@CUBLDR.Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Symbol for Real Numbers

Does anyone know whether I can print the symbol for the set of real numbers
(like IR ) using Latex?  I have been using {\cal R} instead, but this is not at all close.  Many thanks. - Mark Cronshaw

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 91 12:29:36 PDT
From: REGANZ%UCLASSCF@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (Michael Lee Ganz)
Subject: Tables

Does anybody out there know of a collection of macros for producing various
type of cross-classification tables used in biostatistics and epidemiology?

If you could reply directly to me I would appreciate it very much, and I
will, of course, send a copy of the list to the TexHax list.

Thanks,
Michael Ganz

Date: Sat, 2 Feb 91 00:28 GMT
From: "Peter Flynn, UCC" <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Greek typesetting

A user here wants to do real Greek, and I know there are fonts or macros
to do this (Silvio Levy?) but where are they? There seems to be no mention
in the lists at Aston or Heidelberg.

///Peter

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 19:20:25 JST
From: <9102071020.AA11957@mani.kaist.ac.kr>
Subject: Who wrote the SBTeX?

	Hello?
	Does anybody know who wrote the SBTeX?
	And what version is the latest SBTeX, 3.4 is the latest?
	I am involved in the Korean TeX project, and I want to port
	Korean TeX to MS-DOS based IBM-PC's.
	Are there public domain sources of TeX 3.0 ported to MS-DOS?
	Thanks in advance.

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 12:20:50 -0500
From: amgreene@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Subject: A response to perl hackers

\let~\catcode~`?`\
\let?\the~`#?~`~~`]?~`~\let]\let~`\.?~`~~`,?~`~~`\%?~`~~`=?~`~]=\def
],\expandafter~`[?~`~][{=%{\message[}~`\$?~`~=${\uccode`'.\uppercase
{,=,%,{%'}}}~`*?~`~=*{\advance.by}]#\number~`/?~`~=/{*-1}\newcount.
=\-{*-}~`-?~`~]-\-~`^?~`~=^{*1}~`\ ?~`~= {.`\ $}~`@?~`~=@{,.,"#`@^$}
.`#*`'$.?~`~0-?~`~$//$^$ .``^$*?~`~$^$.?~`~0-?~`~/$-?~`~^$@*?~`~$ *
?~`~*?~`~*?~`~*?~`~$@-?~`~$ .?~`~0-?~`~-?~`~$.``^$^^$.`<-?~`~*`<$@*
?~`~$*?~`~-`(-`+$%}\batchmode

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 15:33:18 +0100
From: nath@cernvax.cern.ch (Alfred Nathaniel)
Subject: TeX bug: optional spaces are mandatory

I discovered a bug in TeX3.0. It also shows up in TeX2.9. Going through the
change records I couldn't find any reference to it. So I suppose that it has
been there for much longer.

In sequences

     ...\counter=<constant>\ifnum\counter...
and

     ...\counter=<constant>\fi \ifnum\counter...

the \ifnum test fails if <constant> is not followed by a space.

The problem is in this part of scan_int:

@<Accumulate the constant...@>=
loop@+  begin if (cur_tok<zero_token+radix)and(cur_tok>=zero_token)and
    (cur_tok<=zero_token+9) then d:=cur_tok-zero_token
  else if radix=16 then
    if (cur_tok<=A_token+5)and(cur_tok>=A_token) then d:=cur_tok-A_token+10
    else if (cur_tok<=other_A_token+5)and(cur_tok>=other_A_token) then
      d:=cur_tok-other_A_token+10
    else goto done
  else goto done;
  vacuous:=false;
  if (cur_val>=m)and((cur_val>m)or(d>7)or(radix<>10)) then
    begin if OK_so_far then
      begin print_err("Number too big");
@.Number too big@>
      help2("I can only go up to 2147483647='17777777777=""7FFFFFFF,")@/
        ("so I'm using that number instead of yours.");
      error; cur_val:=infinity; OK_so_far:=false;
      end;
    end
  else cur_val:=cur_val*radix+d;
  get_x_token;
  end;
done:

To look for another digit belonging to <constant> get_x_token is called.
But if the next token is \ifnum the condition is evaluated before scan_int
did realize that <constant> is complete and has to be stored in \counter.

Here is an example where the bug occurs:

\tracingcommands=2
%
\count255=0
\count255=999\ifnum \count255=0 \message{[BOGUS: \the\count255<>0]} \fi
%
\count255=0
\ifnum 0=0 \count255=888\fi
\ifnum \count255=0 \message{[BOGUS: \the\count255<>0]} \fi
%
\end

This is TeX, C Version 3.0 (format=plain 91.1.28)  7 FEB 1991 16:23
**ifnumbug
(ifnumbug.tex
{vertical mode: \count}
{\count}
{\ifnum}
{true}
{\message}
 [BOGUS: 999<>0]
{blank space  }
{\fi}
{\count}
{\ifnum}
{true}
{\count}
{\fi}
{\ifnum}
{true}
{\message}
 [BOGUS: 888<>0]
{blank space  }
{\fi}
{\end}
 )
No pages of output.

Simply replacing get_x_token by get_token fixes this bug but the trip test
falls flat on its face. I would classify it as category S according to
"The Errors of TeX".

A nasty feature is that it is a Heisenbug. If you look at it it goes away.
Computing the absolute value of a macro argument:
      \counter=#1\ifnum\counter<0\counter=-\counter\fi
may fail depending on the initial value of \counter while:
      \counter=#1\showthe\counter\ifnum\counter<0\counter=-\counter\fi
always gives the correct result as does:
      \counter=#1 \ifnum\counter<0\counter=-\counter\fi

The lesson I learned from this that when writing TeX macros optional spaces
are sometimes mandatory.

Is this the right channel for bug reports? If not could somebody who knows
forward it or let me know where to send it to.

Best regards,
Alfred Nathaniel

Internet: nath@cernvax.cern.ch = 128.141.1.74
          nathanie@dxlmun.cern.ch = 128.141.1.121
  Bitnet: nathanie@cernvm

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 1991 3:23:14 PST
From: Andras Kornai <kornai@csli.stanford.edu>
Subject: Metafont source for Georgian?

Is there such a thing? If there is, is it public domain? Thanks for the help,

Andras Kornai (kornai@csli.stanford.edu, kornai@suwatson.bitnet)

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 15:28:01 -0800
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: (Ricoh mode_def) TeXhax Digest V91 #004

Here is a write-white mode_def.  If you use any of the screen displays
such as xdvi which display with reduced 300dpi fonts, you should
also use this font for those.  It makes a profound difference in
readability.  I shall send the full U_Wash.mf in a separate message, and
also the white_setup.mf file.

% Ricoh 4080: for the TI Omnilaser (Stan Osborne's values TUGboat 8,2,134)
mode_def RicohFourZeroEightZero =
 let font_setup=white_setup;    % use the write-white font_setup
 proofing:=0;                   % no, we're not making proofs
 fontmaking:=1;                 % yes, we are making a font
 tracingtitles:=0;              % no, don't show titles at all
 pixels_per_inch:=300;          % Ricoh write-white engine.
 blacker:=.2;                   % Don't overblack the small fonts
 fillin:=-.2;                   % reverse compensation for diagonal fillin
 o_correction:=.5;              % but don't overshoot as much
 enddef;

Even with this adjustment, write-white is never as satisfactory as
write-black in font expression.

Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software should be sent primarily
to:	elisabet@max.u.washington.edu           Elizabeth Tachikawa
otherwise to:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Thomson Hall, Mail Stop DR-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 16:25:31 -0800
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: TeX hyphenation (TeXhax Digest V91 #005)

>  For our TeX, C Version 3.0
>	*\showhyphens{state}
>	Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 0
>	[] \tenrm s-tate

THis is a wonderful opportunity to issue a general warning.  DO NOT
RUN TeX Version 3.0 with an out-of-date plain.tex file.

There are two new internal values, \lefthyphenmin and \righthyphenmin
which must be initialized (and are in the new plain.tex).

If you leave them uninitialized they think that there is no minimum number of
characters at either end of the word.  I guess you probably got
s-tuc-k rather early in your experience of TeX 3.X

(Same goes for lplain and splain, of course.)

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 09:20:58 MST
From: Alan R. Rogers <rogers@anthro.utah.edu>
Subject: exercise macros

>      Has anyone written a LaTeX style file for writing
>problems sets.  For example, a file that gives a LaTeX
>version of Knuth's exercise macros (from TeXbook) or
>that plain TeX example in the latest TUGboat?
>      A desirable file might allow automatic question
>numbering and allow answers to be handled like endnotes.

I offer following macros:

% These macros are modified versions of the \exercise and \answer macros
% on p. 422 of the TeXbook.  The modifications are to make them work under
% LaTeX.
% Usage:
%  \documentstyle [12pt,twoside]{report}
%  \input exercise
%  \begin{document}
%  \chapter{Text}
%  \exercise In what season of the year did George Washington spend the
%  winter in Valley forge?
%  \answer 1776
%
%  \exercise In what year did George Washington spend the winter there?
%  \answer Winter
%
%  \chapter{Answers}
%  \listanswers     % The answers are inserted here.
%  \end{document}
% BUG: The blank lines after the \answer macros are *mandatory*.  If you leave
% them out TeX will exhaust the file looking for them.
%  Alan R. Rogers (rogers@anthro.utah.edu), U. of Utah,  10/23/88

\newcounter{exno}[chapter]

%\newenvironment{exercise}{\begin{list}{\small\llap{$\bullet$\kern.15em}%
%    {\footnotesize EXERCISE \bf\thechapter.\theexno}}{
%    \usecounter{exno}\small
%	\setlength{\labelwidth}{5em} \setlength{\labelsep}{1em}
%	\setlength{\leftmargin}{6em}
%	\setlength{\itemsep}{0em} \setlength{\topsep}{\parsep}}}
%        {\end{list}\normalsize}

\outer\def\exercise{\addtocounter{exno}{1}
  \par\small\noindent\llap{$\bullet$\kern.15em}% bullet in margin
  {\footnotesize EXERCISE \bf\thechapter.\theexno}\par\nopagebreak\noindent}

\def\ansno#1.#2:{\par\noindent
  \hbox to\parindent{\bf\hss#1.#2.\enspace}\ignorespaces}
\chardef\other=12
\newwrite\ans
\immediate\openout\ans=answers
\outer\def\answer{\normalsize\par
  \immediate\write\ans{}
  \immediate\write\ans{\string\ansno\thechapter.\theexno:}
  \copytoblankline}
\def\copytoblankline{\begingroup\setupcopy\copyans}
\def\setupcopy{\def\do##1{\catcode`##1=\other}\dospecials
  \catcode`\|=\other \obeylines}
{\obeylines \gdef\copyans#1
  {\def\next{#1}%
  \ifx\next\empty\let\next=\endgroup %
  \else\immediate\write\ans{\next} \let\next=\copyans\fi\next}}

\def\listanswers{\immediate\closeout\ans\input answers}

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest