[comp.text.tex] Question on xdvi and fonts

vera@fanaraaken.Stanford.EDU (James S. Vera) (02/22/91)

I hope this is not a FAQ but I read them and didn't see it...

I just installed TeX3.0 and xdvi and dvips and ... from labrea.

xdvi seems to come configured to read 300dpi write-black fonts which
are generated for our laserprinter.  My question is will I get better
screen displays if I tell xdvi to use write-white fonts?  to use 72dpi
fonts? (I think our monitors are approx 72dpi)

Further, which mode_def should I use for generating these fonts?  A
couple of them mention Sun (this is for a bunch of Sun 3's) but is
wasn't clear to me which one to choose.

And lastly, if you use two fonts (one for the printer, one for the
screen) do you hack xdvi to create the fonts when it needs them or
have dvips generate both of them when it needs one or something else?

hope at least some of that makes sense.

James S. Vera      |         Internet	        |Standard Disclaimers
Stanford University|vera@fanaraaken.stanford.edu|Blah Blah Blah Blah
Bellcore           |vera2@rigel.cc.bellcore.com |

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (02/23/91)

vera@fanaraaken.Stanford.EDU (James S. Vera) writes:

[stuff deleted...]

>xdvi seems to come configured to read 300dpi write-black fonts which
>are generated for our laserprinter.  My question is will I get better
>screen displays if I tell xdvi to use write-white fonts?  to use 72dpi
>fonts? (I think our monitors are approx 72dpi)

Maybe, but the quality of your previewer will be wourse :-).
One of the nice things about xdvi is that it uses the very bitmaps
that will be used to print your document (remember the mouse buttons).

BTW. Bitmaps of different resolutions can be easily tested/used with
     xdvi by setting environment variables XDVIFONTS/XDVISIZES and
     applying the "-p <resolution>" option.

>Further, which mode_def should I use for generating these fonts?  A
>couple of them mention Sun (this is for a bunch of Sun 3's) but is
>wasn't clear to me which one to choose.

Experimenting with a suitable mode_def for a low-resolution display
might still be worthwhile however since previewing a PostScript version
of the document (using Ghostscript for example) might give better
results if the fonts used are scaled to the output device.

I tried the "sun" mode_def but the results were disappointing.
The bitmaps produced for cmr character "e" and "E":

	Character: 65 (e):

	  0   ***
	  1
	  2  *
	  3  * *
	  4   **

	Character: 45 (E):

	  0  ******
	  1   *   *
	  2   *  **
	  3   ****
	  6   *
	  7

Jan van der Steen

     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)