[comp.text.tex] latex, footnotes, minipage and tabular

kochhar@harvard.harvard.EDU (Sandeep) (02/20/91)

hi!
I have a tabular environement within a minipage.  When I use
\footnote with that tabular environement, latex generates alphabetic
subscripts for the footnotes (a, b, ...).  However, if within
the same tabular, I use \footnotemark, I get numerical subscripts (1, 2, ...).

Is there a way to generate alphabetic subscripts using \footnotemark within
the tabular as above.

(I need it 'cos I'm trying to reference the same footnote at various
entries in the table.)

Thanks.

Sandeep Kochhar
Harvard University              email: kochhar@harvard.harvard.edu
33 Oxford st,                   tel:   (617) 495-3988
Cambridge, MA 02138             fax:   (617) 495-9837

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/23/91)

You folks must not be reading my posts...

In article <1991Feb20.201841.1@euler.claremont.edu>, dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:
> In article <5766@husc6.harvard.edu>, kochhar@harvard.harvard.EDU (Sandeep) writes:
>> I have a tabular environement within a minipage.  When I use
>> \footnote with that tabular environement, latex generates alphabetic
>> subscripts for the footnotes (a, b, ...).  However, if within
>> the same tabular, I use \footnotemark, I get numerical subscripts (1, 2, ...).

>> Is there a way to generate alphabetic subscripts using \footnotemark within
>> the tabular as above.

>> (I need it 'cos I'm trying to reference the same footnote at various
>> entries in the table.)

> Here is my recommendation:

> \newenvironment{aroundtbl}{\begin{flushleft}\begin{minipage}{\linewidth}
>    \begin{center}}{\end{center}\end{minipage}\end{flushleft}}
> \newcommand{\fnref}[1]{\footnotemark[\ref{#1}]}

> \begin{aroundtbl}
> \begin{tabular}{lll}
> Some text\footnote{The first occurrence of this footnote\label{first}}&
>    More text&Even more text\fnref{first}\\
> Additional text\footnote{A different footnote\label{different}}&
>    More text\fnref{first}&And more text\fnref{different}
> \end{tabular}
> \end{aroundtbl}

The definition of \fnref above will not work. I forgot that
\footnotemark's optional argument must be a number (it generates
the appropriate footnote mark based on that number).

A working definition would be:
\newcommand{\fnref}[1]{\hbox{$^{\ref{#1}$}

If you want to be a little more bullet-proof, the following
definition should appear in a style option or be surrounded by
\makeatletter .. \makeatother

\def\fnref[1]{\def\@thefnmark{\ref{#1}}\@makefnmark}

which will track the document style's printing of footnote
markers (assuming the style is defined correctly.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.