[comp.text.tex] The Books

ID_TRIMNELL@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK (02/20/91)

Could someone please tell me what the ISBN numbers are for Knuth's
Computers & Typesetting series books are.  I need to knwo the ISBN's of the
_latest_ books (i.e. TeX 3.* & Metafont 2.* specific) so that our purchasing
department order the right versions.

Thanks

Ian Trimnell
Academic Computing Service
The Open University

id_trimnell@vax.acs.open.ac.uk

gamin@ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca (Martin Boyer) (02/20/91)

In article <F4B517B8400036AD@post-office.uh.edu> ID_TRIMNELL@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK writes:
>[What are] the ISBN numbers for Knuth's Computers & Typesetting series
>[_latest_] books [TeX 3.* & Metafont 2.*]?

If anybody has that information, please POST IT! (and include LaTeX if
you can).  I haven't seen this yet in this group, although I suppose
it has already been posted, hasn't it?

--
Martin Boyer                            mboyer@ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca
Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec    mboyer@ireq-robot.uucp

xiaofei@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU (02/22/91)

I saw someone asked info of Latest TeX related books and someone
suggestted to post the info. I called Addison-Wesley's distributor
at Reading, MA [1-800-447-2226] and found the follwoing information. [I
was told by the representative that the following are all the lastest.]

Postscript Language Reference Manual 1990 0-201-18127-4 $27.95
Postscript Language Tutorial and Cookbook 1985 0-201-10179-3 $18.22
Metafont Book 1986 0-201-13444-6 $21.50
TeX for the Impatient 1990 0-201-51375-7 $22.46
LaTeX Book 1986 0-201-15790-X $30.25
TeX Book 1984 0-201-13448-9 $30.25

For TeX Book ``Be sure to get 17th printing or later (Jan. 1990) or
later; the earlier printings don't cover the new features of TeX. ''
quoted from ``TeX for the Impatient''.

As someone pointed before ``0'' means ``English'' and ``201'' means
Addison Wesley. I don't know what the rest numbers mean. I don't why
the LaTeX book has an ``X'' instead of a number.

I think different editions have different ISBN number but different
printings have the same ISBN number. Please correct me if I am wrong.

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (02/23/91)

In article <9102212329.AA18023@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu> xiaofei@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU writes:
>For TeX Book ``Be sure to get 17th printing or later (Jan. 1990) or
>later; the earlier printings don't cover the new features of TeX. ''
>quoted from ``TeX for the Impatient''.

It's the 17th printing or later of the SOFT COVER edition of The
TeXbook that applies to TeX 3.0.  If you wish to obtain the HARD COVER
edition of the TeXbook, you want the 9th printing or later.  "TeX for
the Impatient" appears to have assumed that Addison-Wesley kept the
soft cover and hard cover printings in sync.  They did not, because
the soft cover edition out sells the hard cover edition by quite a
bit.  In any case, when your book store orders the new copies of The
TeXbook for you, be sure to tell them that they MUST specify to their
distributor that the earlier printings are NOT acceptable.  There are
still many copies of the older printings in the distribution
pipelines.

The confusion here is caused by the fact that the adding of TeX 3.0
changes to the book appears to have been viewed as "corrections" to
the existing edition, and not worthy of declaring the release of a
second edition of The TeXbook.  Given that the TeX 3.0 additions found
in the soft cover 17th printing do not amount to whole lot, this seems
quite reasonable.  But it does causes problems for those trying to
locate what they think should be a new edition of the book.

I believe I read somewhere that volumes B, C, and D are being (or have
been) updated for TeX 3.0, but I could be wrong.  I do know that when
I puchased my copy of the hard cover, 9th printing, of The TeXbook,
updated volumes B, C, and D were NOT available.

Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075

karl@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Karl Berry) (02/25/91)

> It's the 17th printing or later of the SOFT COVER edition of The
> TeXbook that applies to TeX 3.0.  If you wish to obtain the HARD COVER
> edition of the TeXbook, you want the 9th printing or later.
This is true.

> "TeX for
> the Impatient" appears to have assumed that Addison-Wesley kept the
> soft cover and hard cover printings in sync.
No, we didn't assume it; at the time we wrote the sentence about the
17th printing, the hardcover edition hadn't been updated.  Admittedly,
we should have said 17th softcover printing.  Incidentally, the 18th
printing has at least one addition to the 17th, namely, \topglue.

> I believe I read somewhere that volumes B, C, and D are being (or have
> been) updated for TeX 3.0, but I could be wrong.
I'm sure that Knuth has updated the manuscripts.  Our editor at
Addison-Wesley (Peter Gordon) told me that A-W still has a large stock
of volumes B&D, and so they weren't planning on going back to press
for quite some time.  I pointed out to him that I didn't see why anybody
would want to buy the old versions of B&D (except for people who are
only interested in them as WEBs, surely a tiny fraction of the number of
people who buy the books), but he didn't seem impressed.  Same goes for
the Metafontbook, both hardcover and softcover.

karl@cs.umb.edu