[comp.text.tex] dvi to HP Deskjet 500 printer needed.

steveo@world.std.com (Steven W Orr) (02/25/91)

I have a program here called dvi2xx.c which ostensibly targets an HP
Laserjet+ as well as an IBM 3812 printer. I am having problems with
the output with respect to my HP Deskjet 500. The Deskjet 500 manual
sez that it speaks HP PCL Level III plus extensions. If anyone has
(or knows how to get) a dvi2DeskJet500, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
--
----------Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.------------------
Steven W. Orr      steveo@world.std.com     uunet!world!steveo

Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com (Mariusz Stanczak) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb24.182614.12367@world.std.com> steveo@world.std.com (Steven W Orr) writes:
>the output with respect to my HP Deskjet 500. The Deskjet 500 manual
>sez that it speaks HP PCL Level III plus extensions. If anyone has
>(or knows how to get) a dvi2DeskJet500, please let me know.

I've modified the Bebbe's sources for dvi2lj to work on my DeskJet+.
The document is printed as a bitmap, but the printing has been opti-
mized to just output what's needed.  My understanding is that the
DJ500 has extentions that make it more "look like" HPLJ+, so maybe
someone has taken advantage of that (use of internal, and downloadable
fonts, scaling, etc.) and wrote a more optimum driver.  I understand
that similarly optimized code for the DJ has been uploaded to ymir,
or you can send me e-mail if you're interested.
--
INET: Mariusz@fbits.ttank.com
CIS : 71601.2430@compuserve.com