[comp.text.tex] Postal Codes

adyer@wyse.com (Andrew M. Dyer) (02/23/91)

Does anyone know the format of those obnoxious little bar codes used
on letters in the U.S.? Is a description available to the public? (It
had damned well better be...) I would like to modify letter.sty to
print address labels with those codes on them, so I can save that all
important extra penny when mailing things.

--
{uunet, mips, decwrl}!wyse!adyer or adyer@wyse.com
" I think I woke up on the wrong side of the food chain today..."

sanders-malcolm@CS.YALE.EDU (SANDERS-MALCOLM) (02/24/91)

In article <ADYER.91Feb22180805@milo.wyse.com> adyer@wyse.com (Andrew M. Dyer) writes:

>  Does anyone know the format of those obnoxious little bar codes used
>  on letters in the U.S.? Is a description available to the public? (It
>  had damned well better be...) I would like to modify letter.sty to
>  print address labels with those codes on them, so I can save that all
>  important extra penny when mailing things.

The postal service encodes zipcodes into barcodes based on the
following scheme: Each decimal digit in the barcode is represented
by a sequence of 5 bars, 3 of which are short(i) and the remaining
two are long(l)---allowing for ten possible combinations which are
ordered as shown.

		digit	barcode
		-----	------
		  1	iiill
		  2	iilil
		  3	iilli
		  4	iliil
		  5	ilili
		  6	illii
		  7	liiil
		  8	liili
		  9	lilii
		  0	lliii

A correctly formulated barcode has the form

long bar--encoded zip code digits--encoded checksum digit--long bar

The checksum digit is chosen so that the sum of all the zip code
digits plus the checksum digit is an even multiple of 10.

I'm not sure of the acceptable dimensions for these things, but I
go by what I see on envelopes that I have received.

I know that I remember that someone posted a tex routine for these
barcodes a couple of years ago,  but I can't for the life of me
remember  who or when.

-Malcolm Sanders
 Applied Physics
 Yale University

knurlin@spf.trw.com (Scott Karlin) (02/26/91)

In article <ADYER.91Feb22180805@milo.wyse.com> adyer@wyse.com (Andrew M. Dyer) writes:
>Does anyone know the format of those obnoxious little bar codes used
>on letters in the U.S.? Is a description available to the public?
Go to your local Post Office and ask for pamphlets such as:
"A Business Guide to the Postal Service" (or something like that).
Also ask for pamphlets on business reply mail.

-- Scott Karlin                 knurlin@spf.trw.com
-- TRW Data Systems Center      Phone: (213) 812-7335
-- One Space Park  O2-1761
-- Redondo Beach, CA 90278