[comp.text.tex] LaTeX bibliography question

alexande@grover.cs.unc.edu (Geoffrey D. Alexander) (02/26/91)

I am using bibtex to generate my bibliography.  I specify
\bibliographystyle{plain}.  When I have a multiple reference citation
\cite{bun83,cl73,lov78,pla90}, the references are separated by spaces
[1, 2, 5, 7].  Does anyone know how to get rid of the spaces?  I want
[1,2,5,7].

Thanks,
Geoff Alexander
alexande@cs.unc.edu

jdm5548@diamond.tamu.edu (James Darrell McCauley) (02/26/91)

In article <1895@borg.cs.unc.edu> Geoffrey D. Alexander writes:
|> I am using bibtex to generate my bibliography.  I specify
|> \bibliographystyle{plain}.  When I have a multiple reference citation
|> \cite{bun83,cl73,lov78,pla90}, the references are separated by spaces
|> [1, 2, 5, 7].  Does anyone know how to get rid of the spaces?  I want
|> [1,2,5,7].
|>
|> Thanks,
|> Geoff Alexander
|> alexande@cs.unc.edu

In my copy of latex.tex:
>% \penalty\@m added to definition of \@citex to allow a line
>% break after the `,' in citations like [Jones80,Smith77]
>% (Added 23 Oct 86)
>%
>% space added after the `,' (21 Nov 87)
>%
>\def\@citex[#1]#2{\if@filesw\immediate\write\@auxout{\string\citation{#2}}\fi
>  \def\@citea{}\@cite{\@for\@citeb:=#2\do
>    {\@citea\def\@citea{,\penalty\@m\ }\@ifundefined
>       {b@\@citeb}{{\bf ?}\@warning
>       {Citation `\@citeb' on page \thepage \space undefined}}%
>\hbox{\csname b@\@citeb\endcsname}}}{#1}}

So... just take it out.

--
James Darrell McCauley (jdm5548@diamond.tamu.edu, jdm5548@tamagen.bitnet)
Spatial Analysis Lab, Department of Agricultural Engineering,

jdm5548@diamond.tamu.edu (James Darrell McCauley) (02/26/91)

In article <12630@helios.TAMU.EDU>, I wrote:

[stuff deleted]
|> So... just take it out.

Of course, I meant when creating your own style.... Sorry for the
vagueness.