[comp.text.tex] latex?s Bold italics, and exponentials. Are there better ways?

mat@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Mat Watson) (02/26/91)

I've gotten a couple of responses by mail so far (Thank you, I'll mail
you soon :-)) and both of them mention using a roman 'exp' with the
argument in lagre parens.   This *is* the way many journals advise
one to set exponentials.  However, this is for my dissertation, and
the larger 'e' looks real nice.

--Mat     mat@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/26/91)

In article <MAT.91Feb24213314@zeus.organpipe.cs.arizona.edu>, mat@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Mat Watson) writes:
> I like to use bold italics to represent vector, and I've found a
> way to do it:

> \def\bfr{ \hbox{ \boldmath $r$ }}

> where I use \bfr in my document to produce a bold italic 'r'.
> However, there are two reasons why I don't like this solution.
> One: it probably won't work in superscript or subscripts.
> Two: it's not elegant.

Nah, it's plenty elegant. As for not working in super- and
sub-scripts, aside from Metafonting the other sizes yourself,
you won't get smaller sizes anyway (cmmib is available only at
10pt by default(!)). If you do choose to MF the other sizes, the
files in [anonymous.tex.mf.cm.sauter] will give you everything
you need to generate *any* CM font at *any* design size (although
it doesn't give optimal results outside the 5-20 point range for
most fonts). This will also require fairly major surgery on
lfonts.tex (unless you're using lfonts.new, in which case it's a
trivial patch) and a regneration of the format file. To get the
other sizes, look up \mathpalette in the TeXbook.

> Who has a better way to do this?  (Note: AMSLaTeX would work except
> that it's incompatible with eepic.sty and it runs VERY slowly on my
> machine.)

Really? How bizarre. I'll have to look at that someday.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.