[comp.text.tex] .fli files for emTeX

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.063100.12763@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU>, gar@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Greg Restall) writes:
> 	I've just unpacked emTeX, and I need the .fli files for
> fonts, but they don't come in the distribution I got.  Does anyone
> have them, and can send them to me?  That would be great.

A suggestion to all those using TeX on PCs or any other place
where disk space might be tight. Start with cmr10 at 10pt and
NOTHING else. Run the emTeX drivers in batch mode so that they
simply display missing font messages. Then use MF to generate
fonts as you need them. The first week or so, you'll spend a lot
of time generating fonts (although a multitasking environment
like DESQview will at least allow you to get on with your life).
However, after that first week, you'll rarely need to generate
fonts and your disk usage for PK files will be quite small. I
have roughly 1M of fonts on my PC which cover all my needs to
date.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.