[comp.text.tex] dvips 547

rjl@monu1.cc.monash.oz ( r lang) (02/27/91)

In article <905@keele.keele.ac.uk>, csa29@seq1.kl.ac.uk (A. Herath) writes:

> I was trying to get  the dvips (547) for  msdos working but without  any
> success.   I have  downloaded the  compiled version  (from few  archives
> including ymir ) None of them seems to work.
>
> When I tried to convert sample.dvi (sample.tex in TeX distribution) into
> PS It terminates with the error message :
>
> E:\EMTEX\DVIPS.EXE  : ! couldn't open PostScript file
>
> and if I use
>
> dvips -f sample
>
> Then it terminates with  :
>
> E:\EMTEX\DVIPS.EXE : ! Couldn't find header file texc.pro

This looks like the 'can't open enough files problem'
Please check that in CONFIG.SYS, files is set to 20 or more.
If using a network, check that the network does not limit the
number of open files to less than 20.
Make sure that you are not opening more than 12 font libraries,
since this will cause the total number of open files to exceed 20,
a limit imposed by Turbo C.

In your first attempt above, it appears that dvips ran out of
files when it tried to open the postscript file.
In the second attempt, dvips read the dvi file from standard input,
so one less file was opened.  This allowed the postscript file
to be opened, but it then ran out of files opening the header file!

To track file openings, use:
dvips -d-1 input_filename

This will display lots of debug messages about file openings,
font access etc.

--
Russell Lang   Email: rjl@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au   Phone: (03) 565 3460
Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering