[comp.text.tex] Double-Spaced footnotes

vaughan@emx.utexas.edu (Curt Vaughan) (02/28/91)

Is there a way to specify double-spaced footnotes in LaTex?

Curt Vaughan, vaughan@emx.utexas.edu

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (02/28/91)

In article <44827@ut-emx.uucp> vaughan@emx.utexas.edu (Curt Vaughan) writes:
* Is there a way to specify double-spaced footnotes in LaTex?
*
Yes, LaTeX footnote is separately controlled by baselineskip. By
default it is single spaced even it the text is double spaced.
The following command will do it for you.

\footnote{\baselineskip=2\normalbaselineskip
double spaced footnote}
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

wargaski@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Robert E. Wargaski Jr.) (02/28/91)

In article <44827@ut-emx.uucp>, vaughan@emx.utexas.edu (Curt Vaughan) writes:
|> Is there a way to specify double-spaced footnotes in LaTex?
|>
|> Curt Vaughan, vaughan@emx.utexas.edu

Double-spaced text is bad enough---double-spaced footnotes would be an
abomination!

Rob
--

Robert E. Wargaski Jr.			 This is stupid. -- Vila
wargaski@nwu.edu			 When did that ever stop us. -- Avon

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/28/91)

In article <62300@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
> In article <44827@ut-emx.uucp> vaughan@emx.utexas.edu (Curt Vaughan) writes:
> * Is there a way to specify double-spaced footnotes in LaTex?

> Yes, LaTeX footnote is separately controlled by baselineskip. By
> default it is single spaced even it the text is double spaced.
> The following command will do it for you.

> \footnote{\baselineskip=2\normalbaselineskip
> double spaced footnote}

Xiaofei, I thought we'd been through this before. What you
specified will not work for the same reasons that the
single-spaced footnotes in doublespaced text (for plain TeX)
wouldn't work.

In any event, remember that LaTeX users don't want to (or perhaps
I should say _shouldn't_ want to) clutter up their manuscript
with formatting commands.

Curt, in what context do you want double-spaced footnotes? If
it's a case of wanting to have the entire manuscript doublespaced
(for editing purposes), then \renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{2}
will do the trick for you. That's in the LaTeX book, although
there isn't a useful reference to it anywhere. If you want _only_
footnotes doublespaced, then you need to redefine \footnotesize
in a style option. Take a look at the definition of \footnotesize
in art10.sty (or whatever the relevant document would be) and
modify the argument to \@setsize which gives the \baselineskip
(it should be the only argument with units on it) to get the
desired baselineskip.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

In article <1991Feb27.190157.1@euler.claremont.edu> dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:
* In article <62300@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
* > In article <44827@ut-emx.uucp> vaughan@emx.utexas.edu (Curt Vaughan) writes:
* > * Is there a way to specify double-spaced footnotes in LaTex?
*
* > Yes, LaTeX footnote is separately controlled by baselineskip. By
* > default it is single spaced even it the text is double spaced.
* > The following command will do it for you.
*
* > \footnote{\baselineskip=2\normalbaselineskip
* > double spaced footnote}
*
* Xiaofei, I thought we'd been through this before. What you
* specified will not work for the same reasons that the
* single-spaced footnotes in doublespaced text (for plain TeX)
* wouldn't work.

Yes, we have talked about this before. The above command will work
in *LaTeX* [which is what the original poster was asking]. I just did
a test before I posted. And also the same command will work for Plain TeX
in the case of single spaced footnote, double spaced text as long as
one add a ``\par'' at the end of footnote, i.e.

In a double spaced text of Plain TeX[\multiply\baselineskip by 2]
 \footnote{\baselineskip=\normalbaselineskip
 single spaced footnote\par}
                       ^^^^
will produce a single spaced footnote [credit to karl@cs.umb.edu for \par].
However the problem is the spacing *between two footnotes* is still double
spaced and I don't have solution for this. [Some TeXperts have their own
versions of footnote, so they don't need to worry about this. This, however,
is for most part for understanding purpose rather than necessity. I could use
for example, eplain to solve the problem.]

If the solution works and if it is elegant are separate things.  You
said that I am using Word Imperfect and I have to think about it.
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet