[comp.text.tex] initex with emTeX?

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (02/27/91)

I checked the emTeX distribution disks that there is no initex going with
it. If I use sb30tex's initex and its formats and so on, is there a
problem in compatibility?
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

dhosek@gauss.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/27/91)

In article <62072@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
> I checked the emTeX distribution disks that there is no initex going with
> it. If I use sb30tex's initex and its formats and so on, is there a
> problem in compatibility?

Yes.

Certain TeX implementations do not have a separate executable for
IniTeX. These include PCTeX, emTeX and PD VMS TeX. Instead a
command line switch is used to indicate that IniTeX is being
used. To generate plain.fmt, for example, the possible commands
are:

PCTeX:     TEX plain "\dump" /i
emTeX:     TEX /i plain \dump
VMSTeX:    TEX/INIT/NOFORMAT "plain \dump" (although one usually
                      sets INITEX :== TEX/INIT/NOFORMAT)

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

HAN@FRECP12.BITNET (Jay Thierry HAN) (02/27/91)

In article <62072@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei
Wang) says:

>I checked the emTeX distribution disks that there is no initex going with
>it. If I use sb30tex's initex and its formats and so on, is there a
>problem in compatibility?

emTeX doesn't have a initex because the same executable (TEX.EXE or TEX286.EXE)
can do normal TeX compiling AND initex format generation (switch /i for INITEX)
Therefore, you can (and must! .. see below) re-create the formats using emTeX.
Usually, formats are NOT interchangeable from one executable to another. They
are highly implementation-dependent. You can't use formats generated by
SB30TEX with emTeX and vice-versa.
As far as I know (am I right?) formats are memory dumps. If two implementations
don't use the same memory organization and/or data structures, they generate
incompatible formats. This is even more so between SBTeX and emTeX, because
the former was written in Pascal (Turbo-Pascal I think) and the latter was
translated and optimized in C.

Hope this helps.
                                                     J.T.H.

mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eberhard Mattes) (02/28/91)

> I checked the emTeX distribution disks that there is no initex going with
> it. If I use sb30tex's initex and its formats and so on, is there a
> problem in compatibility?
Both questions are answered in the `frequently asked questions'
file of emTeX: help.eng. Please check this file before posting.
--
    Eberhard Mattes (mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de)