[comp.text.tex] avoiding "Chapter" in report.sty

sergio@helios.sixcom.it (Sergio Scola) (03/01/91)

I'm using LaTeX for document preparation and writing a
document with the following style, and layout:

        \documentstyle[12pt,suthesis]{report}

        \begin{document}
        \tableofcontents

        \chapter{Introduction}
        \input{intro.tex}

        \chapter{First chapter}
        \input{chap1.tex}

        \chapter{Second chapter}
        \input{chap2.tex}

        \chapter{Third chapter}
        \input{chap3.tex}

        \chapter{Conclusions}
        \input{concl.tex}

        \bibliography{main}
        \end{document}

I would like to avoid the printing of the word ``Chapter'' for first, and
last chapter (i.e. Introduction, and Conclusions).  The result should be:

        Contents

        1 Introduction
        2 First chapter
        3 Second chapter
        4 Third chapter
        5 Conclusisons
        Bibliography

        Introduction
            :
        Chapter 1
        First chapter
            :
        Chapter 2
        Second chapter
            :
        Chapter 3
        Third Chapter
            :
        Conclusions
            :
        Bibliography
            :

Please e-mail answer to ``sergio@sixcom.it''.
Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Sergio Scola

  .--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
  | SIXCOM S.p.A.          | Phone +39-2-3192313  | Email sergio@sixcom.it   |
  | via G. Govone, 66      |       +39-2-31921    |       sergio@sixcom.uucp |
  | I-20155 Milano (Italy) | Fax   +39-2-33603112 | ...!i2unix!sixcom!sergio |

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/02/91)

In article <sergio.667824377@helios>, sergio@helios.sixcom.it (Sergio Scola) writes:
> I'm using LaTeX for document preparation and writing a
> document with the following style, and layout:

>         \documentstyle[12pt,suthesis]{report}

>         \begin{document}
>         \tableofcontents

>         \chapter{Introduction}
>         \input{intro.tex}

>         \chapter{First chapter}
>         \input{chap1.tex}

>         \chapter{Second chapter}
>         \input{chap2.tex}

>         \chapter{Third chapter}
>         \input{chap3.tex}

>         \chapter{Conclusions}
>         \input{concl.tex}

>         \bibliography{main}
>         \end{document}

> I would like to avoid the printing of the word ``Chapter'' for first, and
> last chapter (i.e. Introduction, and Conclusions).  The result should be:

>         Contents

>         1 Introduction
>         2 First chapter
>         3 Second chapter
>         4 Third chapter
>         5 Conclusisons
>         Bibliography

>         Introduction
>             :
>         Chapter 1
>         First chapter
>             :
>         Chapter 2
>         Second chapter
>             :
>         Chapter 3
>         Third Chapter
>             :
>         Conclusions
>             :
>         Bibliography
>             :

I've discussed this problem extensively with some of the people
involved in the LaTeX 3 project (and if you're thinking of asking
whether it will be seen soon, I say "don't count on it!" (and
please don't send me e-mail cause that's the answer you'll
get--assuming I answer at all, kind of makes me wonder why I even
bother mentioning it all in the first place).

Now the first inclination might be to use \chapter* for the two
indicated chapters. Bad plan. One, it won't produce toc entries
or affect the page headers unless you do that manually, which you
probably would want to avoid (see my posting on "elegant" vs.
"working" solutions). Two, you will run into problems when it
comes time to number the subsections etc. inside the chapter.

A better solution turned out to be to define commands
\frontmatter, \body and \backmatter to divide up the document.
The following gives an example definition of these commands and
an outline LaTeX file to show the power:

\documentstyle{report}
\newcommand{\frontmatter}{\pagenumbering{roman}\setcounter{secnumdepth}{-10}}
\newcommand{\body}{\pagenumbering{arabic}\setcounter{secnumdepth}{2}}
\newcommand{\backmatter}{\setcounter{secnumdepth{-10}}
..
\begin{document}
\frontmatter
\chapter{Preface}
..
\body
\chapter{First chapter}
..
\chapter{Second chapter}
..
\backmatter
\chapter{Conclusions}

\bibliography{foo}
\end{document}

The above does not handle a Conclusions chapter which precedes an
Appendix; that would require a redefinition of \appendix which
would be trivial, really.

Also, there are still problems with non-sectioning structures
"numbered within" chapters (e.g. equation, figure, table) that
appear in the numbered chapters. However, those should be rare,
at the least.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.