[comp.text.tex] Comparison of MSDOS TeX Performance

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss) (03/07/91)

Funny you should ask about TeX packages for MSDOS. I have personally tested
and compared 3 of them: PCTeX, SBTeX, and emTeX. PCTeX you pay real money for;
the version I have is 2.1 (the newer version may have different performance,
etc.). SBTeX and emTeX are available on the net for free! I have SBTeX 3.1(c),
known as sb34tex when you retrieve it. The version of emTeX is 3.0[3a]. These
can both be gotten from msdos.archive.umich.edu via anonymous ftp. See
directory pub/archive/msdos/TeX.

Performance study details:

I ran a 16 page conference paper of mine through each of these, using LaTeX (a
format file needs to be built for each of them). The LaTeX source (lplain.tex)
and supporting files were all the same (except for eliminating a couple of TeX
3.0 specific things from the PCTeX version, which is behind the times), and
the source file was the same. I ran this on a Dell PC's Limited 286 at 8 MHz
(i.e., 8 MHz 80286) with a 36 Mb hard disk (reasonably fast). Here are the
times, in seconds:

	PCTeX 2.1		118
	sbTeX 3.1(c) sb34	107
	emTeX 3.0[3a]		 97 (note: tex286.exe, not tex.exe)

I would therefore recommend emTeX, which comes with a complete set of tools
(if you have the space!). It also has a big-TeX version, which can run larger
files at a slower rate. For PostScript output, Tomas Rokicki's dvips is great;
you can get it via ftp from labrea.stanford.edu and it has msdos specific
stuff to help you out. Some locations have pre-built .exe files even! PCTeX
comes with a pretty nice and reasonably fast .dvi file previewer; emTeX has
one, too, that I have not yet set up and used. I am working also on
GhostScript as a .ps file previewer, but that system needs more work before it
will be a good TeX previewer (memory limitations, and lack of previewer
commands). Still, if you want to hack P*ostScr*pt on a PC, it's not a bad
thing to have. It lives on prep.ai.mit.edu.

Hope this helps folks out!					Eliot Moss
--

		J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
		Lederle Graduate Research Center

HAN@FRECP12.BITNET (Jay Thierry HAN) (03/07/91)

In article <MOSS.91Mar6205939@ibis.cs.umass.edu>, moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss)
says:

>Funny you should ask about TeX packages for MSDOS. I have personally tested
Thanks for the speed test.

>I would therefore recommend emTeX, which comes with a complete set of tools
>(if you have the space!). It also has a big-TeX version, which can run larger
>files at a slower rate. For PostScript output, Tomas Rokicki's dvips is great;
Yes, I recommend emTeX, too. I have used emTeX and SBTeX. The former is larger
and better finished that the latter.
DVIPS can be found all set up for emTeX at monu1.cc.monash.edu.au, get the
files dvips547.zip and dvipslib.zip in directory pub (if I recall everything
right).

>emTeX has one [DVI previewer], too, that I have not yet set up and used.
Ah... It's a *great* previewer: does gray-scaling, zoom in/out, string
search, font substitution, and supports almost every existing graphics
adapter. Not the fastest, requires a good hard disk, but great features.

                                                     Jay Han.

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (03/08/91)

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss) writes:

> I have personally tested
>and compared 3 of them: PCTeX, SBTeX, and emTeX.

More benchmarking of MSdumb TeX implementations in the
recent issue of TUGboat.

Victor.