[comp.text.tex] Hyphenation/Changebars/[h] floats in LaTeX

kjg@bcat1.prime.com (Ken Gartner) (03/08/91)

    [Everything is TeX, C Version 3.0 (format=lplain 90.6.12), LaTeX 2.09]

1.  Screwy hyphenation

   I deal with a lot of engineering acronyms and have gotten unwanted
hyphenation.  Is there any way to prevent these from happening again
without special-casing each "word". Here are some recent examples --
the "/" indicates a line break:

     M/PHALT			RPADRTR/P
     spreadsheet/s		does/n't

2.   I have seen changebars discussed her before, but have never seen
a postscript version that doesn't require a DEC LN03.  I would like plain
postscript that dvi(2,3)ps will enjoy.

3.    Can someone explain to me how that LaTeX floats work, specifically
how the [h] behaves -- the code synopsis still leaves me clueless.  I
expect figures/tables with a single [h] to be forced where I specify
regardless of the "badness" that may result.  If I want more flexibility
I will use more letters ([htp]).  How may I enforce this (I have
already tried setting all sorts of bottomfraction/textfraction kinds of
variables with very limited success) without rewriting latex.tex (pushy
aren't I?) or failing that an sty file.

   Thank you for you patience.

kjg

--
Kenneth J. Gartner                      |   kjg@s49.prime.com
Prime Computer (CPU Group)              |   1-508-620-2800 x3287

"Cursedbehewho thinks my opinions reflect Prime Official policy"

tvz@zandtwerk.Princeton.EDU (Timothy Van Zandt) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.062238@bcat1.prime.com> kjg@s49.prime.com writes:

>    [Everything is TeX, C Version 3.0 (format=lplain 90.6.12), LaTeX 2.09]
>
>1.  Screwy hyphenation
>
>   I deal with a lot of engineering acronyms and have gotten unwanted
>hyphenation.  Is there any way to prevent these from happening again
>without special-casing each "word". Here are some recent examples --
>the "/" indicates a line break:
>
>     M/PHALT			RPADRTR/P
>     spreadsheet/s		does/n't

These bad hyphenations are definitely a bug in your implementation, and
are not just a result of your using acronyms. I am
having the exact same problem, and someone else posted about this
problem a little while back, but I didn't see any reply.

Here are some hyphenations copied directly from a tex log:

      per-hap-s it-s s-lope

What I know is that this does not happen with the lplain format
that came with my implementation of Tex. It only happens with my
compilation of the AMS-LATEX format. I am using Radical Eye's CTeX,
NeXT version 3.1a, with AMS-LATEX 2.0.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is there something you have to do
when compiling formats to get the right hyphenation? Could people who
are having this problem share the details to see what the common
thread is?

Tim Van Zandt
tvz@princeton.edu

ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Arthur Ogawa) (03/10/91)

In article <6984@idunno.Princeton.EDU> tvz@zandtwerk.Princeton.EDU (Timothy Van Zandt) writes:
|In article <1991Mar8.062238@bcat1.prime.com> kjg@s49.prime.com writes:
|>1.  Screwy hyphenation
[lines deleted]
|>Here are some recent examples -- the "/" indicates a line break:
|>
|>     M/PHALT			RPADRTR/P
|>     spreadsheet/s		does/n't
[lines deleted]
|I am having the exact same problem, and someone else posted about this
|problem a little while back, but I didn't see any reply.
|
|Here are some hyphenations copied directly from a tex log:
|
|      per-hap-s it-s s-lope

I am amazed that nobody posted to this thread by now. This problem
should be in FAQ.  These users are using OLD SOFTWARE with their new
TeX 3.0 implementation.  The files PLAIN.TEX and LPLAIN.TEX must be
updated when going over to TeX 3.+. There are a host of updates
involved, but the crucial change relating to hyphenation is

\lefthyphenmin=2 \righthyphenmin=3 % disallow x- or -xx breaks

Arthur Ogawa        Internet: ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov  Ph: 1/415/691-1126
TeX consultant      AppleLink: ogawa                    FAX:1/415/962-1969