Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 12:25:47
From: Mike Piff <PM1MJP@primea.sheffield.ac.uk>
Subject: Answers to exercises in LaTeX

Tom Prusa asks whether there exists a style file for LaTeX which allows
answers to be shifted to the end of a chapter/book/article.

I used the following variant on DEK's macros in a book which is just about to
appear. Feel free to copy it.

Mike Piff

%---------------------------CUT HERE-------------------------------------------
% LaTeX Answer style file.   Mike Piff, Sheffield, England
%
% Defines \newrtheorem, and commands \Solution and \Hint which
% cause all text up to first line starting \end{Exercise} to be output
% to t$\jobname.sol. WARNING: \end{Exercise} MUST BE LEFT JUSTIFIED ON LINE
% File opened with \Opensolutionfile, and input with \Readsolutionfile.
% Example:
% \documentstyle[answers]{book}
% \newrtheorem{Exercise}{Exercise}[chapter]
% \newrtheorem
% \begin{document}
% \Opensolutionfile
% \chapter{one}
% \begin{Exercise}
%   First exercise
%   \Solution Not too interesting
% \end{Exercise}
% \begin{Exercise}
%    Second exercise
%    \Hint Harder!
% \end{Exercise}
%
% \appendix
% \chapter{Solutions}
% \Readsolutionfile
% \end{document}
\newfont{\itb}{cmbxti10}%bold slanted font in normal text size
\ifcase\@ptsize\or scaled\magstephalf\or scaled\magstep1\fi

\def\newrtheorem#1{\@ifnextchar[{\@orthm{#1}}{\@nrthm{#1}}}

\def\@nrthm#1#2{\@ifnextchar[{\@xnrthm{#1}{#2}}{\@ynrthm{#1}{#2}}}

\def\@xnrthm#1#2[#3]{\expandafter\@ifdefinable\csname #1\endcsname
{\@definecounter{#1}\@addtoreset{#1}{#3}%
\expandafter\xdef\csname the#1\endcsname{\expandafter\noexpand
  \csname the#3\endcsname \@rthmcountersep \@rthmcounter{#1}}%
\global\@namedef{#1}{\@rthm{#1}{#2}}\global\@namedef{end#1}{\@endrtheorem}}}

\def\@ynrthm#1#2{\expandafter\@ifdefinable\csname #1\endcsname
{\@definecounter{#1}%
\expandafter\xdef\csname the#1\endcsname{\@rthmcounter{#1}}%
\global\@namedef{#1}{\@rthm{#1}{#2}}\global\@namedef{end#1}{\@endrtheorem}}}

\def\@orthm#1[#2]#3{\expandafter\@ifdefinable\csname #1\endcsname
  {\global\@namedef{the#1}{\@nameuse{the#2}}%
\global\@namedef{#1}{\@rthm{#2}{#3}}%
\global\@namedef{end#1}{\@endrtheorem}}}

\def\@rthm#1#2{\refstepcounter
    {#1}\@ifnextchar[{\@yrthm{#1}{#2}}{\@xrthm{#1}{#2}}}

\def\@xrthm#1#2{\@beginrtheorem{#2}{\csname the#1\endcsname}\ignorespaces}
\def\@yrthm#1#2[#3]{\@opargbeginrtheorem{#2}{\csname
       the#1\endcsname}{#3}\ignorespaces}

\def\NoBr@ak{\@endparpenalty\@M\postdisplaypenalty\@M}
\def\@rthmcounter#1{\noexpand\arabic{#1}}
\def\@rthmcountersep{.}
\def\@makerthmnumber#1#2{\bf #1 #2:}
\def\@beginrtheorem#1#2{%
   \trivlist
   \parshape \@ne \@totalleftmargin \linewidth
   \item[\hskip \labelsep{\itb #1\ #2\/}]}
\def\@opargbeginrtheorem#1#2#3{%
   \trivlist
   \parshape \@ne \@totalleftmargin \linewidth
   \item[\hskip \labelsep{\itb #1\ #2\ (#3)\/}]}
\def\@endrtheorem{\endtrivlist}

%The answer is announced with \Solution or \Hint, and finishes with a line
%which must consist ONLY of \end{Exercise}
\def\Solno#1{\begin{trivlist}\item[\hskip\labelsep{\itb #1}]}
\def\endSolno{\end{trivlist}}

\newwrite\@ns \def\Solfile{t$\jobname.sol}

{\catcode`\|=0 \catcode`\<=1 \catcode`\>=2 \catcode`\{=12 \catcode`\}=12
\catcode`\\=12
   |gdef|@ndExercise<\end{Exercise}>%

\def\M@k#1{{\ifhmode\unskip\nobreak\hfil\penalty50 \hskip1em\else\nobreak\fi
   \mbox{}\nobreak\hfil\fbox{#1}%
           \parfillskip=0pt \finalhyphendemerits=0 \par}}

\outer\def\Opensolutionfile{\immediate\openout\@ns=\Solfile}

\outer\def\Solution{\S@lution{}}
\outer\def\Hint{\S@lution{\string~(Hint)}}
\def\S@lution#1{\immediate\write\@ns{}%
   \immediate\write\@ns{\string\Solno{\theExercise#1}}%
   \c@pytoendExerci%
}
\def\c@pytoendExerci{\begingroup\s@tupcopy\c@pyans}
\def\s@tupcopy{\def\do##1{\catcode`##1=12}\dospecials%
      \catcode`\|=12 \makeatother\obeylines}
\def\@Ndgroup{\endgroup\end{Exercise}}
{\obeylines%
   \gdef\c@pyans#1
      {\def\n@xt{#1}%
      \ifx\n@xt\@ndExercise%
         \immediate\write\@ns{\string\endSolno}%
         \let\n@xt=\@Ndgroup%
      \else
         \immediate\write\@ns{\n@xt}%
         \let\n@xt=\c@pyans%
      \fi%
      \n@xt%
}}
\def\Closesolutionfile{\immediate\closeout\@ns}
\def\Readsolutionfile{\Closesolutionfile\input \Solfile}

% end of ANSWERS.STY

From   Dr M. J. Piff, Department of Pure Mathematics, PO Box 597,
       Hicks Noisy Building Site, Hounsfield Road,
       SHEFFIELD S10 2UN, England.
Tel.   SHEFFIELD(0742) 768555 Extension 4431.
JANET  MPiff@UK.AC.SHEF.PA  or MPiff@UK.AC.SHEF.IBM

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 08:21:44 -0500
From: amgreene@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Subject: TeX bug: optional spaces are mandatory

Sorry, but these spaces *are* mandatory.  If a constant is followed by
a counter, then the constant acts as a scalar that multiplies the
contents of the counter.  Since the \if is expanded in TeX's mouth,
and the constant/counter pair is evaluated in TeX's stomach, the
intervening \if construction doesn't count.

I hope this helps,

- Andrew Marc Greene
  <amgreene@athena.mit.edu>
  Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
  MIT Project Athena Watchmaker

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 17:53:08 -0800
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: Optional Spaces are mandatory (TeXhax Digest V91 #008)

I don't know what nasty side-effects may result from changing
the evaluation of numbers, but I would worry about it.

I remember David Fuchs explaining the reasons for the
tricky timing in evaluation of numeric strings, but
I can't recall the argument.  Anyway, the requirement
under some circumstances to have the space there so
that the number will be fully evaluated and the assignment
completed has been around for a long time.  If it could
be avoided safely, it would have been fixed a long time ago.

I think the problem is that TeX must actually *read* a non-numeric
token before it can make the assignment.  Not too bad if the token is
something that is dealt with in TeX's digestive tract, but if the
token is something like \ifnum, which is way up in TeX's masticatory
organs, The test will be made much too early, and you get the results
you describe.

The need for that space can hardly be called a feature, but I suspect
that it has been a known fact for too long to be called a bug.
I would certainly proceed cautiously and hammer on the
code you have emended before you trust it.

Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software should be sent primarily
to:	elisabet@max.u.washington.edu           Elizabeth Tachikawa
otherwise to:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Thomson Hall, Mail Stop DR-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 09:00:41 -0500
From: dan@chem.bu.edu (Dan Dill)
Subject: Interactive TeX/Mathematica documents

I have written a set of tools to help in the interactive preparation of
TeX/LaTeX documents containing Mathematica input and output, including
graphics (using Trevor Darrell's psfig/tex).  The tools consist of GNU Emacs
functions to exchange information between TeX/LaTeX documents in one buffer
and Mathematica running in another buffer in David Jacobson's Mathematica
mode, and TeX macros and LaTeX .sty files to format Mathematica text and to
include Mathematica graphics.

The tools are available from Internet host chem.bu.edu (128.197.30.18) by
anonymous ftp in directory /pub/tex-mma.  The file README there describes
what to do.

If you encounter problems, just let me know.  If the tools turn out to be
useful to you, let me know so I can keep you informed of changes.

Dan Dill
dan@chem.bu.edu

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 9:24:49 CST
From: Paul A. Scowen <uk1@spacsun.rice.edu>
Subject: -d filter?

Hi,

this may be a dumb question but I've been trying to track down the DVI
filter for a PostScript printer.  This fabled piece of software is mentioned
in all the lpr manual pages on Unix systems such that you can just type
"lpr -d doc.dvi" and bang you've got the printout.  Now I know this is
emulated by the dvips function, but the xtex software is set up to use
lpr -d.  No-one has ever seen this damned thing!  Is it a cruel joke?

-							  __________	      -
|	Paul A. Scowen					 / ___  ___ \ 	      |
-	Department of Space Physics and Astronomy	/ / @ \/ @ \ \        -
|	Rice University, Houston TX 77251	        \ \___/\___/ /\       |
-	(713) 527-8101 x2433, x3534			 \____\/____/||       -
|							 /     /\\\\\//       |
-	Internet:	uk1@spacsun.rice.edu		 |     |\\\\\\	      -
|			scowen@vega.rice.edu		  \      \\\\\\       |
-							   \______/\\\\	      -
|	Span:		RICE::SCOWEN			    _||_||_	      |
-							     -- --	      -

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 12:33:12 -0800
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)

Something strange is happening to the BITNET part of this list.

It puts us in the characteristically bizarre position to have
to ask those who do NOT receive this notice to take some sort
of steps to ensure that they do receive it in future.

We have noticed that a great many requests for confirmation
of subscription are going out.  Perhaps there is a sort
of purge going on.  We are not much direct help.  We are on
an internet site which simply makes a drop into the BITNET
system and depends on the management of the various links
within that system.

We will send out this short message to see if it gets through
where a full issue does not.  If it does, and you have not
been receiving TeXhax, please see what you can do by tracing the
links at your end.  You might also find out about confirming
your subscription, in case it has been accidentally dropped.

It sounds to us as if several redistribution sites have been dropped.
There seems to be trouble in Austria, part of the Netherlands,
and in both Turkey and Greece, so far.

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 15:12:06 -0500
From: Mary McCaskill <mary@teb.larc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Reversing authors' names with tib

I have been enthusiastically implementing tib on our plain TeX manuscript
preparation system to produce reference lists and bibliographies in the
style favored for NASA technical reports.  I've now run into a problem
when an author's name ending in ``Jr.'' or ``III'' is reversed:

Consider the following line in a tib reference file:

	%A J. H. Starnes, Jr.

The correct way to reverse this author's name is

	Starnes, J. H., Jr.

After running tib with authors' names reversed, the result is

	Jr., J. H. Starnes,

Tying the ``Jr.'' to the last name with a tilde

	%A J. H. Starnes,~Jr.

results in

	Starnes, Jr., J. H.

Has anyone addressed this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Mary K. McCaskill
Technical Editing Branch
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA
(804) 864-2506
Internet: mary@teb.larc.nasa.gov

%%%          where xxx is the nearest geographical site in the
%%%          tree shown below
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%% Here is the BITNET re-distribution tree as shown in a recent
%%% REVIEW (The geography is guessed at from the subscription list)
%%%
%%%                        CLVM    TAMVM1      FINHUTC
%%%                           |    |     (Finland, UK, Scand, CERN)
%%%                           |    |           |
%%%  TeXhax ----> UWAVM ----- MARIST ----- EB0UB011 ----- BNANDP11
%%%                           |     (France,Italy,Spain)  (Belgium)
%%%                           |                |
%%%                        UBVM      HEARN --- DEARN
%%%                              (Netherlands) (Germany)
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%% Previous years in TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.dir/
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@MATH.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       3.1                   metafont  2.7
%%%    plain.tex 3.0                   plain.mf  1.8
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 (12/7/89)        cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09 (12/4/89)        gftodvi   3.0
%%%    tangle    4.0                   gftopk    2.2
%%%    weave     4.1                   gftype    3.0
%%%    dvitype   3.2                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    3.2                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    3.1                   mft       2.0
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c
%%%    AmSTeX    1.1d
%%%\bye
%%%