[comp.text.tex] Latex acting flakey...HELP!!

ajg@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Arnold Goldberg) (03/11/91)

Here's the scenario:

   I've successfully compiled LaTeX and TeX, Xdvi, and dvips.
I grabbed all my fonts from another system.  The problem occurs when I
print the .dvi files on my laserprinter.  Occasionally, random spaces are
inserted in words.  The strange thing is that my previewer doesn't show this
my I preview the .dvi file.
	I assume my dvips program is at fault, but what exactly is going wrong?
Any suggestions or if further elaboration is neccessary please send e-mail.

Appreciate it...

Arnold Goldberg

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/11/91)

In article <AJG.91Mar11090120@reef.cis.ufl.edu> ajg@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Arnold Goldberg) writes:
>Here's the scenario:
>
>   I've successfully compiled LaTeX and TeX, Xdvi, and dvips.
>I grabbed all my fonts from another system.  The problem occurs when I
>print the .dvi files on my laserprinter.  Occasionally, random spaces are
>inserted in words.  The strange thing is that my previewer doesn't show this
>my I preview the .dvi file.
>	I assume my dvips program is at fault, but what exactly is going wrong?
>Any suggestions or if further elaboration is neccessary please send e-mail.
>
>Appreciate it...
>
>Arnold Goldberg

We have (note the present tense!!!) this same problem on our Mips machines.
Not on VMS or Mac or PC, though.

The problem is that the printer driver on the Unix machine is
damaging the files being sent to the laser printer. In Postscript
(at least on the Apple LAserwriter, but I am fairly sure it is Postscript
itself) the sequence <backslash><newline> means "nothing" -
i.e.  the string abc<backslash><newline>def is the same as abcdef.
However the Unix print driver is erroneously changing <backslash><newline>
int a single space. These spaces appear in printouts and fuck them up.

So we have to print Postscript not from our Unix machine but must
reload to a PC, Mac or VMS first!!!!!

Doug McDonald