Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 16:06:29 EST
From: karl@cs.umb.edu (Karl Berry)
Subject: mode_def collection

I am attempting to collect all extant Metafont mode_def's, and am asking
for your contributions.  Here is my reasoning.

To date, most sites each have their own ``local modes'' file, as the
Metafontbook suggests.  But these modes are rarely developed locally
(nor should they be).  Instead, a larger file (waits.mf, for example) is
copied, and extraneous definitions removed.  This is what I did myself
at the sites at which I've installed Metafont.

But I now believe this is the wrong approach.  Instead, we should all be
using the *same* local file, thereby ensuring consistency in the fonts
generated between sites.  This will not take up much memory space in
Metafont.  I counted the number of ``output devices'' for which there
are users in TUGboat, and came up with around 100.  This many mode_def's
only takes up a few hundred words of memory, a small price to pay for
portability.

Furthermore, having one master modes file has another important
advantage.  The auxiliary definitions for producing
1) GF specials with mode information,
2) TFM header bytes with the ``Xerox world'' font information,
and 3) corrected fonts for write-write printers
can be placed there, thus ensuring that this information is propagated
as widely as possible.

Finally, many Metafont installers have questions about using the modes
file (perhaps the most common is ``why do my output files always have
the extension .2602gf?'').  Answers to prosaic questions like this are
usually present in the Metafontbook, but are not always easily found.
All such information can be collected in this one file.

So, I solicit your mode_def's.  The list of what I have now is below.
If you have additional ones, or if you did experiments to find good
values for any of the mode_def's below, please send them on to me or
Doug Henderson <dlatex@cmsa.berkeley.edu>; Doug has been maintaining a
mode_def list for several years, and he and I are cooperating in this.

The current version of this file is appended to this message (it is
about 20K big).  If you save it, please name it `modes.mf'.  You can
also get it by ftp from ftp.cs.umb.edu [192.12.26.23], in
pub/tex/modes.mf.  I will also send it by email if you cannot ftp, at
least until the file is at some mail-server accessible site.  I will
post announcements whenever there is a revision.  (I don't expect that
to happen frequently!)

karl@cs.umb.edu

mode_def aps =                          % Autologic APS-Micro5
mode_def bitgraph =                     % BBN Bitgraph at 118dpi
mode_def boise =                        % HP 2680A
mode_def CanonCX =                      % e.g., Apple LaserWriter
mode_def CanonLBPTen =                  % e.g., Symbolics LGP-10
mode_def ChelgraphIBX =			% Chelgraph IBX
mode_def CompugraphicEightSixZeroZero =	% Compugraphic 8600
mode_def crs =                          % Alphatype CRS
mode_def DataDisc =                     % DataDisc
mode_def DataDiscNew =                  % DataDisc with special aspect ratio
mode_def dover =                        % Xerox Dover
mode_def epson =                        % Epson
mode_def imagewriter =                  % Apple ImageWriter
mode_def LinotypeOneZeroZero =          % Linotype Linotronic 100
mode_def LinotypeThreeZeroZero =        % Linotype Linotronic 300
mode_def lview =                        % Sigma L-View monitor
mode_def MacMagnified =                 % Mac screens at magstep 1
mode_def MacTrueSize =                  % Mac screens at 72dpi
mode_def OneTwoZero =                   % e.g., high-resolution Suns
mode_def PrintwareSevenTwoZeroIQ =	% Printware 720IQ
mode_def qms =                          % QMS (Xerox engine)
mode_def RicohFourZeroEightZero =       % e.g., the TI Omnilaser
mode_def sun =                          % Sun and BBN Bitgraph at true size
mode_def supre =                        % Ultre*setter at 2400dpi
mode_def toshiba =                      % Toshiba 13XX
mode_def ultre =                        % Ultre*setter at 1200dpi
mode_def VarityperSixZeroZero =         % Varityper Laser 600

These are aliases for the recommended names above:
cx := CanonCX;
corona := CanonCX;
imagen := CanonCX;
laserwriter := CanonCX;
canon := CanonLBPTen;
cg := CompugraphicEightSixZeroZero;
DD := DataDisc;
newDD := DataDiscNew;
linoone := LinotypeOneZeroZero;
linothree := LinotypeThreeZeroZero;
bettermac := MacMagnified;
truemac := MacTrue;
ricoh := RicohFourZeroEightZero;
varityper := VarityperSixZeroZero;

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 10:34:45 PST
From: uunet!uunet!xilinx!castor!kelem@cs.washington.edu
Subject: help: modifying \tt

I need some help in creating a command similar to \tt that changes the
\catcode of _ to 11, the same as a letter.  I did this:

\def\code{\catcode`\_=11\ptt}

The command works fine for every place I've tried (plain text,
indices) except for section titles, e.g.
\section{{\code foo_bar} non-typewriter text}

Is there an easy way to get this to work?

Thanks,
Steve Kelem	(408)879-5347		xilinx!kelem@pyramid.com
Xilinx					FAX: (408)559-7114
2100 Logic Drive
San Jose, California 95124

Date:    Sat, 26 Jan 91 14:25
From:    "Andr{ HECK/Strasbourg Obs."
Subject: Astronomical symbols

I am looking for macros printing various astronomical symbols like
planets, zodiacal signs, etc.

Anyone who knows where to find (some of) them? Any help will be duly
acknowledged in publications using those macros.

Information can be sent to the following e-mail address:
   HECK @ FRCCSC21.BITNET

Many thanks in advance.
Andre HECK.

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 21:52:27 -0500
From: myers@helios.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Subject: automatic corner figure insertion

Dear TeXhax:

I have a TeX problem, and have been referred to this address.  There may or
may not be a solution to this problem.  I want to insert a postscript figure
in the lower right hand corner of every page of a document.  All the figures
will be the same size (about 2 in. x 2 in.).  The document cannot be
formatted in two columns, so the text lines on the bottom two inches have to
be shorter than the text lines above.  The problem is that this needs to be
done automatically, with the appropriate wrapping of text above and to the
side (i.e., I don't want to have to manually place the figure on each and
every page and insert various commands at certain places in the TeX file).
So I need a \cornerinsert macro which is similar to \topinsert, but I don't
know if it is possible to have the text wrap on the side of the figure as
well as on the top.  I am currently using the psfig macro to manually insert
postscript figures, but am happy to use some other figure macro if that
facilitates this problem.

Any advice or macros would be greatly appreciated.  Send any responses to
myers@helios.tn.cornell.edu.

					Thanks,
						Chris Myers

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 14:11:19 GMT
From: Peter King <pjbk@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk>
Subject: LaTeX Bug??

Have  I discovered a bug in LaTeX??
It seems unlikely, but the following doesn't do as I would expect,
in that the _ characters are NOT protected by the \verb, but the usual
complaints about missing $ are produced.  I have tried \protect on the
\verb with no effect, and am now at a loss.  Why is a \verb not a valid
argument for \makebox ??
	Peter

%---Cut-Here-----------
\documentstyle[]{article}
\begin{document}

\begin{figure}
\setlength{\unitlength}{0.05in}
  \begin{picture}(110,100)(0,0)
  \put(15,10){\makebox(0,0){\verb+INFO_XFER_DCE_ERR+}}
  \end{picture}
\caption{Finite State Machine}\label{fig.fsm.st}

\end{figure}

\end{document}

Date: 4 March 1991 21:26:32 CST
From: <U29970%UICVM@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Changing the character code in LaTex \itemize environment

I would like to know if anyone out there is familiar with the method for
changing the characters in the \itemize environment.  For example, at
the first level, the bullet character is used to mark each \item in the
\itemize environment.  I would like to change that to \rightarrow.  How
can I do this?  Thanks a million.

Neil Bhattacharyya
U29970@UICVM.BITNET

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 11:45:12 MST
From: bernat@haleakala.cs.ep.utexas.edu (andrew bernat)
Subject: Re:  TeX previewer for Openwindows.

	Regarding you query in TeXhax, did you ever find a TeX previewer
	for Openwindows?

I did and was going to post it when I'm sure it's clean.  I guess now's
as good a time as any.  I'm using xtex.

BUT you have to have X11R4 up and running on your machine for the
compilation step.

So:
 1) Get X11R4, ours came from lll-crg.llnl.gov.
 2) We did the vanilla installation, except changed mit/config/sun.cf
 to our version of SunOS; did a make World and then a make install
 3) Get SeeTeX from foobar.colorado.edu in pub/SeeTeX
 4) Do a vanilla make of it; make complained about certain things not
 making correctly, but xtex is made okay
 5) Switch to Xtex directory and make install
 6) You need to set up the fonts or the xtex display is truly ugly; see
 p13 of the SeeTeX manual; I chose the "easy" method and got them from
 foobar.colorado.edu
 7) Add the fonts to your font search path via:
    xset +fp <directory where the fonts are>
    xset fp rehash
 8) You may wish to change the print command for xtex to use your dvi
 to printer program (I use dvitps).

And a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to the people who helped me with this.

Andrew Bernat
Computer Science Department		abernat@haleakala.cs.ep.utexas.edu
The University of Texas at El Paso	915/747-5470 voice
El Paso, Texas  79968-0518		915/747-5616 fax

Here are some directions from another person on doing the X11R4 installation:

From: mea@sparta.com (Mike Anderson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: SUMMARY: SunOS 4.1.1 and X11R4
Date: 1 Jan 91 19:02:05 GMT
Sender: news@brchh104.bnr.ca

I posted to the net some preliminary findings about SunOS 4.1.1,
OpenWindows and X11R4 coexistence and said that I'd reply to folks that
requested the mods.  I was overwhelmed with requests for the procedures
and so I guess that I'd better summarize to the net before my mailbox
fills the disk.

My Configuration:

I'm running a SparcStation 1+ (4/65) color machine (CG6) with a Fujitsu
2266S/H (1 GB) and a CDC Wren IV (327 MB) hard disks.  I also have an
Exabyte and an Archive Viper (Sun's 150MB Tape) attached to the system all
via SCSI.  The O/S is SunOS 4.1.1 Sun-4c SUNBIN and OpenWindows Version 2.
SunOS 4.1.1 has a funny thing about sd0 and sd1 being assumed to be
internal to the 4/65 (i.e., the miniroot won't boot from external drives
if they're configured as sd0 or sd1) so with the default EEPROM setting of
the 4/65 my boot disk (the Fujitsu) had to be set for SCSI ID 0 (sd3).
Then you change the "boot-from" parameter in the EEPROMs to be
"sd(0,3,0)vmunix".  The Wren IV was set to SCSI ID 2 (sd2).  The 150 MB
was set to SCSI ID 4 (st0) and the Exabyte was SCSI ID 5 (st1).

Getting Started:

IMPORTANT: Get a copy of /usr/include/sundev/cg6reg.h from somewhere and
save it to tape or on another machine.  X11R4 needs this file and 4.1.1
for Sun 4C and Sun 3X no longer includes it for some reason.  Can anyone
post this file legally?

With 4.1.1, when you boot from the tape it automatically boots MUNIX into
RAM (i.e., no more "b st()install sd(0,3,1)") and searches for disks.  If
it finds your disks, you'll have the option of formatting and labeling the
disks.  I would recommend that you do this at this time.  I'm not sure if
its required, but I had a hell of time with the disks until I did.  A Sun
tech-type also told me to label the disks both in the "partition"
subfunction and in the "label" subfunction (a bit of voodoo no doubt).  Be
aware that if you do a complete install of 4.1.1 (minus the Versatec and
Security stuff) with OpenWindows and expect to install X11R4 later, you'll
need at least 150MB free on the /usr partition.

Install the miniroot and boot from the just installed miniroot.

Run suninstall and do whatever is appropriate for your facility as far as
the host info, the disk partitioning (keeping in mind the size required
for /usr mentioned previously), clients, etc. and start the installation.

Go get lunch.  Come back, plug in tape #2 and go to lunch again.

Reboot the newly installed O/S (you did remember to change the "boot-from"
parameter in the EEPROMs didn't you?) and congrats you have 4.1.1 and
OpenWindows V2 installed.  You can tell you have 4.1.1 installed by
bringing up suntools (all of the tools will be sickly pastel colors).

Installing X11R4:

I started with the straight X11R4 distribution as downloaded from
prep.ai.mit.edu and unloaded it in my /usr6/X11R4/src directory (your
directory structure will obviously be different).  I went into the
/usr6/X11R4/src/mit/config directory and hacked imake's Makefile (usually
"Makefile") changing the USRLIBDIR entry to be:

    USRLIBDIR = $(DESTDIR)/usr/lib/X11

and made sure the Project.tmpl LibDir entry read:

    #define LibDir $(USRLIBDIR)/X11

I also changed the Imake.tmpl line ExtraLoadFlags to read:

    #define ExtraLoadFlags -L/usr/lib/X11 /* include X11R4 libraries */

and changed my site.def file line #define CompatibilityFlags to be

    #define CompatibilityFlags -DXAW_BC  /* add XAW support stuff */

(I found that Xtetris 2.x needed this flag turned on).

Now edit the site.def and the rest of the tmpls as needed by your site.
(I have /usr/lib/X11 where all of my X11R4 libs are stashed and
/usr/bin/X11 where the binaries are stashed and /usr/include/X11 for my
include files).

Make the Imake (just "make" in the config directory) and then a "make
install" to install the Imake in /usr/bin/X11.  (Make sure that it really
installs in /usr/bin/X11.  My first try installed Imake as the FILE
/usr/bin/X11 instead of in the directory /usr/bin/X11.  I had this happen
to me a couple of times running the installation scripts from a "make
install" command so watch out.)

Get a copy of /usr/include/sundev/cg6reg.h from somewhere and copy it to
/usr/include/sundev/cg6reg.h on your machine.  SunOS 4.1.1 for Sun 4C and
for Sun 3X no longer include this file and X11R4 needs to have it.  (You
did remember to save it didn't you?)

Cd to mit (cd ..) and do a make World.  Go to dinner or come back in the
morning (about 2-3 hours).

Do a "make install" and watch that it installs O.K.

Type "ldconfig" and now X11R4 should be able to run (make sure you add
/usr/bin/X11 to your path) by cding to /usr/bin/X11, making a link between
Xsun and X, and typing "xinit".  If you get funny messages about
OpenWindows problems, mv your ~/.xinitrc file to something else and try
again.

OpenWindows Support:

I have found that OpenWindows and X11R4 have a few files in common (e.g.
.xinitrc) so you can either run one or the other but not both
simultaneously (although you can run X11R4 APPLICATIONS under
OpenWindows).  You need to add a few lines to your .cshrc to support
OpenWindows and make sure that any X11R4 applications will run properly.
These lines are:

    setenv OPENWINHOME /usr/openwin
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/openwin/lib:/usr/lib/X11

and I would suggest the following ordering in your PATH variable:

    set path=( $home        \
               /usr/openwin/bin \
               /usr/openwin/demo \
               /usr/openwin/demo/xview \
               /usr/bin/X11 \
               $path        \
             )

Conclusions and disclaimers:

With this set up I've been able to run both X11R4 and OpenWindows
applications simultaneously.  I haven't tried using Motif yet but I will
in the not too distant future.

I am not a Sun demiGod nor even a guru.  I did a lot of stumbling around
before I finally got something working.  If there is someone out there
that sees something that I did wrong (especially in the Imake Makefile
mods or the Imake and Project template mods) please enlighten us all.
These mods worked for ME with MY configuration.  Your milage may vary, but
at least you should be able to get the gist of it.  Most of this stuff
simply took the defaults and tweeked them slightly to achieve the desired
results.

My primary operating environment is now OpenWindows (hence the ordering of
the OpenWindows stuff before the X11R4 stuff) using all of the OpenWindows
libraries where supplied.  I found that many applications looked for the
Xaw and Xmu wiget libraries and this configuration enabled me to get at
them while keeping the libraries common to the two windowing systems
separate.  (Make sure to turn on these widget sets in your site.def before
the X11R4 make).

Mike Anderson        "It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor
SPARTA, Inc.          of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different
mea@sparta.com        opinion."
(703) 448-0210                     William R. Inge, D.D.  1860-1954

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest