[comp.text.tex] DECUS-TeX questionREAD/NEW/FOLLOWUP

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/14/91)

In article <2354@ra.stsci.edu>, payne@stsci.EDU (Harry Payne) writes:

> 	This question concerns how TeX finds .TFM files.  I have defined
> the logical TEX_FONTS to be the list of directories where .TFM files can
> be found.  TeX, however, seems to want the logical TEX$FONTS.  The file
> DECUS-TEX.CLD implies that if I build a new format file for TeX with:

> 	TEX/INIT/NOFORMAT/TEXFONTS="TEX_FONTS:" PLAIN

> the value of TEXFONTS is stored in the format file.  Is that so?  I did
> the TEX/INIT and TeX still fails to find the .TFM files unless I define
> TEX$FONTS.  What have I failed to understand?

> 	(Why bother?  I need to keep an ancient version of TeX on the
> same system to satisfy the powers that be.  The ancient version uses
> TEX$FONTS.)

A few points:

- logicals, program names, etc. containing a $ are non-standard
DEC usage and are deprecated for use outside of DEC.

- VMSTeX does not store the logical names in the format file but
picks them up at run time from the CLI; check your CLD file
definition of TeX and see if it is specifying the correct value
for TEXFONTS; in any event you should not have a CLD with those
values preprogrammed into it.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.