[comp.text.tex] overfilled pages with latex

ascott@gara.une.oz.au (ascott) (03/15/91)

In my Chemistry phd thesis and in the experimental part I am getting pages
 of text
that are overful. This is not by a small amount but by 1000's of
points!!.

I am using \begin{sloppypar} .... \end{sloppypar} over the whole of
the experimental chapter to get even decent line
breaks and am using \newline to get new lines for clarity of spectral
information. toc information is written by
\addcontentsline{section}{Alcohols} to replace the individual headings
which  are
starred (*)  ie \section*{Alcohols}  to prevent numbering in the text.

Processing the whole document gets the pages only in the experimental
part overfull. However \includeonly the experimental part  and the
experimental pages print perfectly.

Doe any one have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks for any help.

Tony Scott.   ascott@gara.une.oz.au

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/16/91)

In article <5658@gara.une.oz.au>, ascott@gara.une.oz.au (ascott) writes:
> In my Chemistry phd thesis and in the experimental part I am getting pages
>  of text
> that are overful. This is not by a small amount but by 1000's of
> points!!.

> Doe any one have any idea what is going on here?

There isn't enough information in your message to identify the problem.

> I am using \begin{sloppypar} .... \end{sloppypar} over the whole of
> the experimental chapter to get even decent line
> breaks and am using \newline to get new lines for clarity of spectral
> information. toc information is written by
> \addcontentsline{section}{Alcohols} to replace the individual headings
> which  are
> starred (*)  ie \section*{Alcohols}  to prevent numbering in the text.

Don't do things this way. If you don't want sections numbered
include the command
  \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
in the preamble of your document; this will cause LaTeX to only
number chapters and parts. TOC entries will be handled as
desired.

> Processing the whole document gets the pages only in the experimental
> part overfull. However \includeonly the experimental part  and the
> experimental pages print perfectly.

Sounds like it's possible that returning your \section*'s to
\sections as I indicated above _might_ fix the problem, but I
wouldn't bet any money on it just now.

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.