[comp.text.tex] Problems with AmSTeX

dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) (03/16/91)

I just purchased the _Joy Of TeX_ and I'm trying to get to know it.
One problem I have is that it seems that the control sequence
\NoPageNumbers doesn't seem to work, as AmSTeX can't find it.
According to p193, I should insert this code between the
\documentstyle and \topmatter lines.  However, this produces an error,
and the standard TeX version of removing page numbers doesn't seem to
work.  FYI, I am using TeX 3.1 and AmSTeX 1.1d.  Does anyone have a
clue as to what I'm messing up?  E-Mail replies please.

Dave Buchthal

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.192659.13003@math.lsa.umich.edu> dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) writes:
>I just purchased the _Joy Of TeX_ and I'm trying to get to know it.
>One problem I have is that it seems that the control sequence
>\NoPageNumbers doesn't seem to work, as AmSTeX can't find it.
>According to p193, I should insert this code between the
>\documentstyle and \topmatter lines.  However, this produces an error,
>and the standard TeX version of removing page numbers doesn't seem to
>work.  FYI, I am using TeX 3.1 and AmSTeX 1.1d.  Does anyone have a
>clue as to what I'm messing up?  E-Mail replies please.
>
>Dave Buchthal

You need AmSTeX version at least 2.0 to match the new version of
The Joy of TeX.  In previous versions, the command was
\nopagenumbers (all lower case).  But there are some other differences
as well.  AmSTeX 2.0 is available by anonymous FTP from e-math.ams.com.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.192659.13003@math.lsa.umich.edu>, dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) writes:
> I just purchased the _Joy Of TeX_ and I'm trying to get to know it.
> One problem I have is that it seems that the control sequence
> \NoPageNumbers doesn't seem to work, as AmSTeX can't find it.
> According to p193, I should insert this code between the
> \documentstyle and \topmatter lines.  However, this produces an error,
> and the standard TeX version of removing page numbers doesn't seem to
> work.  FYI, I am using TeX 3.1 and AmSTeX 1.1d.  Does anyone have a
> clue as to what I'm messing up?  E-Mail replies please.

What version of AmSTeX does your Joy of TeX describe? There are
MAJOR differences between AmSTeX 1.1 and 2.0.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.