[comp.text.tex] emTeX/dvips questions

kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Kingsley F. Kerce) (03/13/91)

1) Does MSDOS dvips use emTeX font librarys (.fli)?

2) Given that one can use PS fonts in TeX using dvips, is there a fairly
simple method for previewing?  I realize a PS previewer could be used,
but, for example, GhostScript doesn't look good with MSDOS/VGA.  Is it
ridiculous to have .pk/.fli files for PS fonts and then use the emTeX
previewer dviscr?

Thanks; please email if possible,
--
Kingsley Kerce				kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu
Dept of Computer Science B-173

rjl@monu1.cc.monash.oz ( r lang) (03/15/91)

In article <KERCE.91Mar12230522@nu.cs.fsu.edu>, kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu
(Kingsley F. Kerce) writes:

> 1) Does MSDOS dvips use emTeX font librarys (.fli)?
Yes.  But it requires the new font libraries lj_0.fli, lj_h.fli etc.

> 2) Given that one can use PS fonts in TeX using dvips, is there a fairly
> simple method for previewing?
No.

> I realize a PS previewer could be used,
> but, for example, GhostScript doesn't look good with MSDOS/VGA.
It looks even worse on MSDOS/EGA!

> Is it
> ridiculous to have .pk/.fli files for PS fonts and then use the emTeX
> previewer dviscr?
No.  This is one of the reasons for using virtual fonts.
If you spend the time, it is possible to create virtual fonts for all the
postscript fonts.  These virtual fonts tell the dvi driver to substitute
a pk font because the postscript font is not available.
(Each driver will need a set of these virtual fonts to tell it how
to substitute for the postscript fonts).
A quick and dirty solution is to use the emtex font substitution file,
to tell dviscr to replace all postscript fonts by cmr10.
This will work for plain text, but will cause problem with symbols,
ligatures etc.

--
Russell Lang   Email: rjl@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au   Phone: (03) 565 3460
Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering

kolb@kub.nl (Hans-Peter Kolb) (03/15/91)

In article <KERCE.91Mar12230522@nu.cs.fsu.edu>, kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Kingsley F. Kerce) writes:
|> 1) Does MSDOS dvips use emTeX font librarys (.fli)?

Me, too!  (Sorry, but someone HAD to do it... 8-)

 hans-peter kolb                                            kolb@kub.nl
 Computational Linguistics                          kolb@htikub5.bitnet
 Tilburg University (KUB)                                P.O.Box 90 153
 The Netherlands                                     NL-5000 LE Tilburg

wjw@ebe.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (03/17/91)

In article <12280@monu1.cc.monash.oz> rjl@monu1.cc.monash.oz (    r    lang) writes:
=>In article <KERCE.91Mar12230522@nu.cs.fsu.edu>, kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu
=>(Kingsley F. Kerce) writes:
=>
=>>
=>> 2) Given that one can use PS fonts in TeX using dvips, is there a fairly
=>> simple method for previewing?
=>No.
=>
I thought it would be easy to use the font-substitute file for this.
Virtual fonts would probably work, but might require a little more work.

Right now I shouting off my big mouth, since I didn't really try yet.
We just received the PS stuff last week, and I'm going to work on it the
comming time.

Unless somebody has already solved this problem and is able to supply this
file.

Ciao,
		Willem Jan Withagen.
Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands