[comp.text.tex] Integrating Rokicki's dvips with Cartlidge's multi.ps

isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Isaac Balbin) (03/12/91)

Aside from dirty scripts, has anyone cleanly integrated the two using
header files and hooks?
I had tried a simple config file which had

h multi.ps
h multi8.ps

in it (as well as the usual junk)

multi.ps was the pre blurb that is standard with Cartlidge's program
and multi8.ps was something like

userdict begin
/start-hook{true 2 4 true multi} def
/end-hook{endmulti} def
end

The header files come out before the usual dvips preamble and
this approach didn't work too well.

I have tried psnup as a filter. That works reasonably (a slight bug),
but is not set up for A4 paper. (Has anyone modified psnup for A4?)

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/13/91)

In article <4946@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Isaac Balbin) writes:
> Aside from dirty scripts, has anyone cleanly integrated the two using
> header files and hooks?

Why bother? dvidvi does the job much more cleanly and isn't PS-dependent.

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Isaac Balbin) (03/13/91)

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:

>In article <4946@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Isaac Balbin) writes:
>> Aside from dirty scripts, has anyone cleanly integrated the two using
>> header files and hooks?

>Why bother? dvidvi does the job much more cleanly and isn't PS-dependent.

Perhaps because the reality is that idraw is currently the best thing (imho) for
drawing pictures that is free, and as a result, one would like to scale
postscript pictures. Can dvidvi do that for you?
--
``Communism and the taint of being labelled a "communist" is now thankfully a
fear of the past''  			(aus.politics)	Brian Ross (1/3/1990):

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/14/91)

In article <4956@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Isaac Balbin) writes:
> dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:

>>In article <4946@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Isaac Balbin) writes:
>>> Aside from dirty scripts, has anyone cleanly integrated the two using
>>> header files and hooks?

>>Why bother? dvidvi does the job much more cleanly and isn't PS-dependent.

> Perhaps because the reality is that idraw is currently the best thing (imho) for
> drawing pictures that is free, and as a result, one would like to scale
> postscript pictures. Can dvidvi do that for you?

Wait, let me understand what you want to do: you're creating a
TeX document, dvipsing it then using this PS manipulator not only
to impose but to _scale_ the pages? Urp. You're losing a lot of
text quality doing that (even with PS fonts, I suspect). The
better approach would be to set the pages at the desired final
size (e.g., to fit within an A6 (did I get the direction right)
size) after imposition. dvips can handle scaling the graph for
you.

-dh

---

isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Isaac Balbin) (03/14/91)

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:

>Wait, let me understand what you want to do: you're creating a
>TeX document, dvipsing it then using this PS manipulator not only
>to impose but to _scale_ the pages? Urp. You're losing a lot of
>text quality doing that (even with PS fonts, I suspect). The
>better approach would be to set the pages at the desired final
>size (e.g., to fit within an A6 (did I get the direction right)
>size) after imposition. dvips can handle scaling the graph for
>you.

I am reprocessing slides from my lectures (done with slitex and idraw
for the pictures) so that they come out 8 to an A4 page.
No, the quality is not lost. They are quite readable and scale nicely.
Of course you can't use this for computer modern  as they don't scale
nicely. Postscript fonts generally are fine for two per page.
--

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar13.094109.1@euler.claremont.edu> dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:

   Wait, let me understand what you want to do: you're creating a
   TeX document, dvipsing it then using this PS manipulator not only
   to impose but to _scale_ the pages? Urp. You're losing a lot of
   text quality doing that (even with PS fonts, I suspect). The
no, i think you are wrong here. The scaling is done by PostScript
*after* the document is scaled down - we are not talking mangy CMR
bitmaps here (which look ghastly when `2up'ed). Unless my
understanding of PS is incorrect, you will get the same result asking
for 7pt Times in the first place, and asking for 10pt but then asking
PS to scale it down later.

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (03/18/91)

IB> Aside from dirty scripts, has anyone cleanly integrated the two using
IB> header files and hooks?

I came up with the following that works with dvips 5.47:
(On A4 paper)
------------------------ twoup----------------------------------------
/isoddpage true def
/orig-showpage /showpage load def
/factor 0.707106781187 def
/showpage {
        isoddpage not { orig-showpage } if
        /isoddpage isoddpage not store } def

/bop-hook {
        /vsize 1 factor add neg def
        isoddpage {factor factor scale}
                 { 0 544.283799804 translate} ifelse
        } def

/end-hook{ isoddpage not { orig-showpage } if } def
Use with dvips  -h twoup -t landscape
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.