[comp.text.tex] BiBTeX: Journal Abbreviations

alexande@grover.cs.unc.edu (Geoffrey D. Alexander) (03/13/91)

I just downloaded the BiBTeX styles aaai-named.bst, acm.bst, ieeetr.bst, and
siam.bst from sun.soe.clarkson.edu.  These styles work fine.  However, they
don't seem to include journal abbreviations.  Is there a way to have BiBTeX
abbreviate journal names?  If so, are there standard "journal abbreviation
files" for the above styles?

Thanks,
Geoff Alexander
alexande@cs.unc.edu

bjornl@sics.se (Bj|rn Lisper) (03/15/91)

In article <2253@borg.cs.unc.edu> alexande@grover.cs.unc.edu (Geoffrey D.
Alexander) writes:
>I just downloaded the BiBTeX styles aaai-named.bst, acm.bst, ieeetr.bst, and
>siam.bst from sun.soe.clarkson.edu.  These styles work fine.  However, they
>don't seem to include journal abbreviations.  Is there a way to have BiBTeX
>abbreviate journal names?  If so, are there standard "journal abbreviation
>files" for the above styles?

The way I do it myself is to have a number of string definitions in my .bib
file, like:

@STRING{tcs = "Theoret.\ Comput.\ Sci."}

I can then use that string as an abbreviation, as in

	JOURNAL = tcs,

This works reasonably well if you always want, say, the abbreviated form,
but it is a pain if you produce documents with different formats of journal
names. Thus, it would be nice to have an automated abbreviation facility
that in abbrev style used a database to find abbreviations for full journal
names.

Bjorn Lisper

jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) (03/18/91)

bjornl@sics.se (Bj|rn Lisper) writes

> This works reasonably well if you always want, say, the abbreviated form,
> but it is a pain if you produce documents with different formats of journal
> names.

Can't you just have a longstrings.bib and a shortstrings.bib, which say

   @STRING{tcs = "Theoretical Computer Science"}

and

   @STRING{tcs = "Theoret.\ Comput.\ Sci."}

respectively? Then your \bibliography command looks at the relevant one.
(You can define your own \mybib command that does a \bibliography with a
few extra files thrown in.)

The problem with doing this sort of thing in the .bst file is that you end
up with an exponential number of slightly-different .bsts lying around. Tom
Schneider got round this by allowing switches in a .bst, which can be
toggled from the document. (You could have a switch for short titles, a
switch for abstracts, etc).

Jeremy

|  Jeremy Gibbons (jg@uk.ac.oxford.prg)   Funky Monkey Multimedia Corp  |