[comp.text.tex] Floating figures

robin@castle.ed.ac.uk (R C Smith) (03/14/91)

In LaTeX how do you stop figures floating around apart from
\begin{figure}[h]

I want to know exactly where they appear as I use a \special to include
graphics in the  output, but the area where I put the picture is not the
same when I left the space for it....very annoying.

Ideally I would like a macro which would also allow the special to float
to the same page as the figure has floated to..

advTHANKSance
Robin Smith

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (03/15/91)

In article <9162@castle.ed.ac.uk> robin@castle.ed.ac.uk (R C Smith) writes:

   \begin{figure}[h]

   I want to know exactly where they appear as I use a \special to include
   graphics in the  output, but the area where I put the picture is not the
   same when I left the space for it....very annoying.

   Ideally I would like a macro which would also allow the special to float
   to the same page as the figure has floated to..

I find this rather confusing. surely if you say
 \begin{figure}
 \special{....}
 \end{figure}
then the special information will go wherever the figure goes? how can
it not? and if you want a picture HERE RIGHT HERE NO MESSING, why are
you using the figure environment?

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

tvz@zandtwerk.Princeton.EDU (Timothy Van Zandt) (03/18/91)

In article <9162@castle.ed.ac.uk> robin@castle.ed.ac.uk (R C Smith) writes:
>In LaTeX how do you stop figures floating around apart from
>\begin{figure}[h]
>
>I want to know exactly where they appear as I use a \special to include
>graphics in the  output, but the area where I put the picture is not the
>same when I left the space for it....very annoying.
>
>Ideally I would like a macro which would also allow the special to float
>to the same page as the figure has floated to.

The whole point of the figure and table envirnments is to float their
contents. Just leave out the \begin{figure}, \end{figure} and \caption{},
and whatever was in the environment  is placed right where you put it in
the source file. You can then add a caption if you want.

If a special is placed inside the figure environment, it should float with
everything else, although specials are special, so it depends.

Tim