[comp.text.tex] Inserting Mac PostsScript figures

neumann@FUNCTION.MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU ("Walter D. Neumann") (03/13/91)

I have Macintosh produced PostScript figures for insertion into a
paper submitted to a Proceedings I am editing.  These figures request
a procset "AppleDict md" which various people helped me find (in
LaserPrep.ps).  I have also located a stripped down version called
lprep68.pro which works better for me.  After many unsuccessful
attempts I found that the following lets Rokicki's dvips produce a
PostScript file that will print on our LaserWriter:

  1. Edit in correct BoundingBox commands into the figs.
  2. Include lprep68.pro using the dvips \special{header=lprep68.pro}.

HOWEVER, this will NOT print on our HP PostScript printer, nor preview
correctly with Sun's pageview.  Nothing I have tried will do either of
these.

Since the Proceedings will eventually be printed on a PostScript
photo-typesetter, I need robust PostScript.  Ideal would be a header
to prepend to the individual figures to turn them into
device-independent EPSF files. (Prepending lprep68.pro works for some
of the figures on some devices.)  Does anyone know a solution?

-walter

--
 Walter Neumann                     Email:       neumann@mps.ohio-state.edu
 Department of Mathematics                       neumann@ohstpy.bitnet

ogawa@ORION.ARC.NASA.GOV (Arthur Ogawa) (03/13/91)

In producing the Mathematica Journal, I try to avoid the "AppleDict
md" like the plague (its PostScript name is "md"). Graphics files,
whether produced on the Mac or on other platforms are required to be
EPS (entirely different from md). Preferred tools are Adobe
Illustrator and others such as Aldus (Altsys) Freehand, (Deneba)
Canvas, or Mathematica.

Files produced on the Mac in the "AppleDict" format have been
generated by printing a Mac document "to disk".  When I receive such,
I attempt to get authors to regenerate their graphics in a format that
either can be translated to Adobe Illustrator (because I, in general
will need to refine them further) or in EPS format if they can be used
"as is" (rare). Many Mac applications' formats can be translated
to a more suitable one (like Adobe Illustrator).

As far as experiences with various RIPs goes, please be aware that
bugs are constantly being discovered in clones (I believe Sun falls in
this category, please correct me if I err), and even Adobe-licensed
RIPs (like the HP)(Is that the JetScript from QMS, or the HP unit
(OEMd from QMS?)). If you have a PS file that prints properly on
an Apple LAserWriter, but not on some other PS machine, categorize
the error (you haven't mentioned details), and contact the
manufacturer of the RIP.

gudmund@forit.forut.no (Gudmundur Joekulsson) (03/14/91)

In <9103121625.AA04765@brubeck.mps.ohio-state.edu> neumann@FUNCTION.MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU ("Walter D. Neumann") writes:

>I have Macintosh produced PostScript figures for insertion into a
>paper submitted to a Proceedings I am editing.  These figures request
>a procset "AppleDict md" which various people helped me find (in
>LaserPrep.ps).

I gave up looking for "AppleDict md" and editing BoundingBox...

>.................................Ideal would be a header
>to prepend to the individual figures to turn them into
>device-independent EPSF files. (Prepending lprep68.pro works for some
>of the figures on some devices.)  Does anyone know a solution?
>
>-walter

My solution is to use Aldus FreeHand 2.02 wich can Export proper EPSF files
with NO format (neither IBM or Mac) and including all neccessary
modules.  It can Import figures/ drawings from almost any other Mac-app.
and put them out as EPSF. These I import directly into my LaTeX doc. by :

\begin{document}
\input epsf
\begin{figure}[htb]
\centerline{\epsfbox{freehandexport.ps}}
\caption{...}
\label{....}
\end{figure}

Using dvips 5.47 (Radical Eye Softw.) this works perfectly.  The only
negative thing is that FreeHand pictures print slowly, i.e. take long
(up to 10 min.) time processing in the printer, when complicated.  It is
the same when you print directly from FreeHand, and realy is nothing to
worry about, just be patient.

(the SUN-openwin pageview has some trouble with the figures, but f.ex. DEC's-
Postscript Previewer display them beautiful.)

Gudmundur S Joekulsson                    "nobody, not even the rain,
					   has such small hands".
FORUT-IT				   E.E.Cummings (EEC ??!!)
(Foundation of Applied Reserch
at the Univ. of Tromsoe
Norway)					   P.S. I hate wirdbooks, sorry.

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (03/20/91)

In article <9103121625.AA04765@brubeck.mps.ohio-state.edu> neumann@FUNCTION.MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU ("Walter D. Neumann") writes:

     1. Edit in correct BoundingBox commands into the figs.
     2. Include lprep68.pro using the dvips \special{header=lprep68.pro}.

   HOWEVER, this will NOT print on our HP PostScript printer, nor preview
   correctly with Sun's pageview.  Nothing I have tried will do either of
   these.

Others have suggested using programs that will export proper EPSF;
that is probably good advice if you can afford it and/or need those
programs anyway.  I have adopted a cheaper solution:  Noting that the
laserprep file inlcudes code that appears to be printer dependent, I
just commented out those lines, and I can now print on an Imagen
UltraScript printer (a PS clone).

I commented out the line starting like this:

currentfile statusdict begin serverdict begin product (LaserWriter II NT)...

and all following lines up to,  and including the one starting with

6eb9e36ec45bad2a0b82829a...

The next line, which I kept, begins

/sc {60 45 {abs...

Hope this works for you as well as it did for me.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY