[comp.text.tex] <None>

skeeve@pawl.rpi.edu (Sean C. Cox) (03/22/90)

    I'm looking for a DVI driver for a Panasonic KX-P1091i dot-matrix
 printer, which can also emulater an IBM Proprinter or IBM Graphics. Any
 pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance. :)

    Please email responses, and I'll post a summary if there's enough
 interest.

                                         -Sean

| Sean_Cox@mts.rpi.edu  |  userGDQT@RPITSMTS.BITNET  |  skeeve@pawl.rpi.edu |

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (10/04/90)

How does on in Latex put the limits over and under (directly) integral
signs (in a displayed equation) rather than off slightly to the right?

Doug McDonald

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct3.235759.18243@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes...
>How does on in Latex put the limits over and under (directly) integral
>signs (in a displayed equation) rather than off slightly to the right?

\def\myint{\int\limits}

\[
\myint_0^\infty f(x)=1
\]

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (10/05/90)

In article <8865@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>In article <1990Oct3.235759.18243@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes...
>>How does on in Latex put the limits over and under (directly) integral
>>signs (in a displayed equation) rather than off slightly to the right?
>
>\def\myint{\int\limits}

Yep. Works fine. Thanks!

But where, may I ask, is it documented in the Latex book?
Nowhere I can find!

Doug McDonald

dhosek@mimir.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct4.202707.15288@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes...
>In article <8865@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>>In article <1990Oct3.235759.18243@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes...
>>>How does on in Latex put the limits over and under (directly) integral
>>>signs (in a displayed equation) rather than off slightly to the right?

>>\def\myint{\int\limits}

>Yep. Works fine. Thanks!

>But where, may I ask, is it documented in the Latex book?
>Nowhere I can find!

The advanced math features are covered on page 54, section 3.3.9.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info

delgado@math.ksu.edu (Alberto Delgado) (11/08/90)

 One of our TeX users needs to generate a document with no page numbers on the
first three pages, with the subsequent pages being numbered begining with the
page number 2.  To complicate things slightly, the page numbers are to
be on the
top of the page.  She tried the following, but it did not do the expected ---

\nopagenumbers
\pageno=-1
\headline={\ifnum\pageno=-1\hfill\else
            \ifnum\pageno=-2\hfill\else
            \ifnum\pageno=-3\pageno=2\hfill\else
            {\hss -- \folio\  -- \hss}\fi\fi\fi}

--- the first three pages are indeed free of page numbers, but then the
numbering
is in roman numerals (which we understand) and goes iv, v, vi, etc.

Can anyone explain?  Please respond via e-mail.  Thanks.

Alberto L Delgado
delgado@newton.math.ksu.edu

vober@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/09/90)

Hello TeXers,

I am trying to create some tables in LaTeX.  I have tried using the macro
packages Stables and Ruled.tex.

I have some long lines of text that I would like to wrap instead of
printing on 1 line.

For instance:

+----+---------------+---+
| 1  | this is what I| 2 |
|    | would want the|   |
|    | output to look|   |
|    | like.         |   |
+----+---------------+---+
| 3  |  dfdfdfdsf    | 4 |
+----+---------------+---+

This is what I always seem to get:

+----+----------------------------------------------------+---+
| 1  | this is what I don't want the output to look like. | 2 |
+----+----------------------------------------------------+---+

Can someone please advise me as to how to correct.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Vober

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (11/10/90)

vober@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

>Hello TeXers,
Hi, how are you today?

>I am trying to create some tables in LaTeX.  I have tried using the macro
>packages Stables and Ruled.tex.
Sorry, don't know these packages. You may have overlooked some
command, but I wouldn't be able to tell.

>I have some long lines of text that I would like to wrap instead of
>printing on 1 line.

>This is what I always seem to get:

>+----+----------------------------------------------------+---+
>| 1  | this is what I don't want the output to look like. | 2 |
>+----+----------------------------------------------------+---+

Other than rereading the manual (for instance, I know that
something like this exists in standard LaTeX. I think you
specify a 'p' in the template, but I'm not sure. Read the book.)
I can suggest this: what you want is enclosing your
text in a \vbox. So:
\vbox{\hsize=5cm This is what I want my output to look like.
      It's a pity though that I have to specify the width
      explicitly. No way to do this adaptively.}

Victor.

tuceryan@mohawk.cps.msu.edu (Mihran Tuceryan) (11/28/90)

I know that there is a program to convert refer format bibliography
files to bibtex format files and I have used this before. What I need
now is a program that goes the other way. That is, given a bibtex
database, generate a refer format database.

Mihran Tuceryan
email: tuceryan@cps.msu.edu

sushil@omena.cps.msu.edu (Sushil Bhattacharjee) (02/01/91)

Subject:Including .ps file from Mathematica into LaTeX
Sender: news@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 91 21:16:09 GMT

Hi folks,
I have a postscript file generated from Mathematica on NeXT. When I try
to include it in a LaTeX file, I get a
!Missing number, treated as zero.
message.

Has anyone else had this problem?/Does anyone know the remedy?
If so, please let me know.
If you have done this successfully, please let me know. That will tell
me that I am not doing it correctly.
I generally do not read this newsgroup, so I would appreciate it if you
can send me email at sushil@pixel.cps.msu.edu
Thanks,
Sushil

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb22.101223.26686@news.arc.nasa.gov>, ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Arthur Ogawa) writes:
> Don Hosek mentioned a way of accessing letterforms coded by 8-bit
{> characters, of the form:

> | \catcode`^^80=\active     \def^^80{\c{C}}
>
> | Because of my contractee's regulations on intellectual property,
> | I am not able to distribute this file trivial as it is.
>
> This approach is very similar to that provided with Textures 1.3. If anyone
> wants it, Blue Sky Research may agree to send it to you. I'd post it here
> myself, but it's too late to even phone them up right now to get a release ;-).
>
> Unfortunately, this approach does not repair the problem in that
> hyphenation is effectively turned off in a word containing the \accent
> primitive. Therefore one would hope that fonts with already-accented
> letters be developed (PostScript is already there; VF could
> effectively do this job, too), that people would generate \patterns
> employing these already-accented letters (has anybody done this?), and
> that some means would be agreed upon to facilitate keyboard entry.

> The latter area is where code pages come into play. But let's not ignore
> the other crucial tasks mentioned above.

Actually, no. The code page support that I've seen simply causes
TeX's mouth to interpret, say x'84 as \"{u}. It does nothing for
the accented character "problem".

> Also, support for VF seems to be making a very slow appearance in the
> commercial DVI translators. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it
> seems ArborText is presently the only one out there with VF support
> in their drivers.

Others include Tom Rokicki's DVI drivers (dvips for many systems
and  all the Amiga drivers and the emTeX drivers. I believe also
those drivers being developed by TeXsys have VF support as well.
THere are also at least two DVI-DVI translators (Peter
Breitenlohner's DVICOPY and Wayne Sullivan's DVIvfDVI) which can
convert a VF-referencing DVI file to a non-VF-referencing DVI
file.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

news@zip.eecs.umich.edu (03/04/91)

This article was probably generated by a buggy news reader.

murphy@photon.mpr.ca (Gail Murphy) (03/20/91)

Does anyone have source (preferably for Unix) for a utility
like idxtex that will produce a theindex environment from a
.idx file?

Thanks in advance.

Gail Murphy                     | Voice : (604) 293-5462
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC    | E-Mail: murphy@mprgate.mpr.ca
Canada, V5A 4B5                 |         mprgate.mpr.ca!murphy@uunet.uu.net