[comp.text.tex] Misc: Extentions, LaTeX and Eplain, How to get out if wrong filename?

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (03/20/91)

In article <31174@usc> siemsen@sol.usc.edu (Pete Siemsen) writes:
* I made a list of file extensions related to TeX for the DECUS TeX Collection.
* Here it is:
*
*     .AUX    cross-reference written by LaTeX, read by BibTeX

              Expanded Plain TeX write .AUX also to interact with BibTeX.

*     .BBL    Bibliography file written by BibTeX, read by LaTeX

              Also read by Expanded Plain TeX. ... Many of the features
              available to LaTeX now is available with Eplain.

*     .LTX    written by text editors, read by LaTeX

              I used .LTX to differenciate .TEX (Plain TeX files) but
              I can not have LaTeX to recognize .LTX as standard extention.
              In other words, I have to type the filename in full as
              ``latex foo.ltx''. Any hint
              what can I do? I use emTeX which defines latex as
              ``tex &lplain %1''. I also use TeX on unix and vms.

Since I am posting, I have a small question for long time: When I supply a
wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a correct filename:'' If I know
the filename that is fine, but sometimes I have to check directory and
I find it difficult to get out of there. [On unix, Control-C won't do
and one has to use Control-Z. On msdos with emTeX I don't know how to do it.
I have to reboot the PC :-( or supply any old thing [even though it is not
a tex file] in order to get out of there.] Any one has the same experience?
And come up with a smarter solution?

--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/20/91)

>Since I am posting, I have a small question for long time: When I supply a
>wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a correct filename:'' If I know
>the filename that is fine, but sometimes I have to check directory and
>I find it difficult to get out of there. [On unix, Control-C won't do

I have a file called null.tex in my TeX inputs directory.  When this
situation happens to me, I type "null" and this file is read.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

squash@math.ufl.edu (Jonathan King) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.131048.2505@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

   >Since I am posting, I have a small question for long time: When I supply a
   >wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a correct filename:'' If I know
   >the filename that is fine, but sometimes I have to check directory and
   >I find it difficult to get out of there. [On unix, Control-C won't do

   I have a file called null.tex in my TeX inputs directory.  When this
   situation happens to me, I type "null" and this file is read.

My understanding is that the TeX system directory (where amstex.tex
etc files reside) is supposed to have an empty file  null.tex  for
exactly the purpose you describe.  In principle, then, individual
users do not need such a file.  On our system here, this does indeed
work.

Jonathan

mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eberhard Mattes) (03/22/91)

> Since I am posting, I have a small question for long time: When I supply a
> wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a correct filename:'' If I know
> the filename that is fine, but sometimes I have to check directory and
> I find it difficult to get out of there. [On unix, Control-C won't do
> and one has to use Control-Z. On msdos with emTeX I don't know how to do it.
> I have to reboot the PC :-( or supply any old thing [even though it is not
> a tex file] in order to get out of there.] Any one has the same experience?
> And come up with a smarter solution?
The smarter solution is to read the emTeX documentation: texware.doc.

--
    Eberhard Mattes (mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de)