[comp.text.tex] The space between the headline and the text..

v096my2q@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (Mark A Wieczorek) (03/22/91)

	I've got a question.  Whenever I print out a document using
TeX, I always get a little bit of extra space between the headline and
the first line of text, on the FIRST page only. On all the following
pages their is barely any space between these two.

	What I want to know is 1) how can I suppress this extra space
on the first page and 2) how can I add space between the headline
and the text on the following pages so that it would be uniform throughout
the document.

	Thanks for any help.

Mark	v096my2q@ubvms

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (03/23/91)

v096my2q@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (Mark A Wieczorek) writes:

>	I've got a question.  Whenever I print out a document using
>TeX, I always get a little bit of extra space between the headline and
>the first line of text, on the FIRST page only. On all the following
>pages their is barely any space between these two.

You're using plain TeX?
The page that you see consists of
1/ the headline
2/ the page contents
3/ the footline

The page contents themselves are not supposed to have any
glue on top. The \topskip tries to get the baseline of the
first line at 10pt beneath the top of the page box, that's all.

The headline in plain TeX has some glue in it, but that's
the same for every page. Furthermore, this glue is at least something
like 10pt, so if youhave 'barely any space' you have been tinkering
with it yourself.

Conclusion: there is somethng wrong with your macros.

Victor.

v096my2q@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (Mark A Wieczorek) (03/24/91)

In article <66929@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v096my2q@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
(Mark A Wieczorek---that's me) writes...

>	I've got a question.  Whenever I print out a document using
>TeX, I always get a little bit of extra space between the headline and
>the first line of text, on the FIRST page only. On all the following
>pages their is barely any space between these two.

	Well I found out what I was doing. In one of the files that I
input initially had the command \null in it. It seems that this was
starting the paper as if it was a new paragraph. I was told that
you should put \null at the beginning of any document. Should I? And
what is the purpose of this command?

	Also, I am still looking for a command that will put extra space
between the headline and the main text. Is their any way of doing this
or should I just forget about it?

	Thanks for any help

Mark Wieczorek		V096my2q@ubvms

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (03/24/91)

v096my2q@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (Mark A Wieczorek) writes:

>	Well I found out what I was doing. In one of the files that I
>input initially had the command \null in it. It seems that this was
>starting the paper as if it was a new paragraph.

Not quite. \null == \hbox{}. The topskip gets inserted before this,
and ordinary baselineskip will separate this from the first line
of text. Your text therefore drops by 12pt (one baselineskip).

> I was told that
>you should put \null at the beginning of any document. Should I?

No.

>And
>what is the purpose of this command?

It can be used as a separator, for instance for unwanted
ligatures 'shelf\null full', or for forcing the spacefactor
back to 1000: ' ... and NASA\null.' <- here you would not get
extended spacing if the null was omitted.

>	Also, I am still looking for a command that will put extra space
>between the headline and the main text. Is their any way of doing this
>or should I just forget about it?

As in your earlier post, you didn't mention if you used
plain TeX, LaTeX, or whatever.
For plain TeX, the easiest way is to redefine the macro \makeheadline,
which is the object that comes directly above the text block.
Make it \vbox{\hbox{...headline text...}\vskip ....}
and you're set.

Victor.