[comp.text.tex] *** DVITOVDU with Tektronix 4105 ? ***

plaut@sc2a.unige.ch (03/18/91)

Hello.

I would like to use a Tektronix 4105 graphic terminal as WYSIWYG previewer
for TeX/LaTeX.

I tried DVITOVDU with VDU=(AED,ANSI,REGIS,VIS500,VIS550) but it doesn't
match.

Does anyone on the net know if such a terminal can be use for this
purpose ?

Thanks.

| Olivier Plaut. University of Geneva.      Geneva, Switzerland |
| INTERNET: plaut@sc2a.unige.ch         BITNET:  plaut@cgeuge52 |

cczdao@mips.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar18.131736.385@sc2a.unige.ch> plaut@sc2a.unige.ch writes:

>I would like to use a Tektronix 4105 graphic terminal as WYSIWYG previewer
>for TeX/LaTeX.
>
>I tried DVITOVDU with VDU=(AED,ANSI,REGIS,VIS500,VIS550) but it doesn't
>match.
>
>Does anyone on the net know if such a terminal can be use for this
>purpose ?

There's a compatibility mode on 4105s which should allow them to
interpret 4010/4014 codes.  I think this happens automatically, but
since I haven't used a real 4105, I can't be certain.  We use the C
version of DVItoVDU on Unix systems, displaying on the EmuTek emulator
on PCs, but we have to switch the emulator into a 40xx mode, then we
can use it with -v tek4010 (the C/Unix version's equivalent of
/VDU=TEK4010 on the Modula-2/VMS version), and it works just fine.

Didn't you try /VDU=TEK4010 ?  It would seem the obvious choice.

By the way, there's a new release of the C version on the way,
rewritten to use PK fonts directly.  It will be installed in the Aston
archive soon.

--dave
(David Osborne, Univ of Nottingham && Aston TeX Archive group)
--
David Osborne

phys59@jetson.uh.edu (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar18.131736.385@sc2a.unige.ch>, plaut@sc2a.unige.ch writes:

> Hello.
>
> I would like to use a Tektronix 4105 graphic terminal as WYSIWYG previewer
> for TeX/LaTeX.
>
> I tried DVITOVDU with VDU=(AED,ANSI,REGIS,VIS500,VIS550) but it doesn't
> match.
>
> Does anyone on the net know if such a terminal can be use for this
> purpose ?
>
> Thanks.
> --

> | Olivier Plaut. University of Geneva.      Geneva, Switzerland |
> | INTERNET: plaut@sc2a.unige.ch         BITNET:  plaut@cgeuge52 |
If your DVITOVDU is the same version as what's on the cluster here, you might
try VDU=VT640.  I know it seems farfetched, but it works pretty well on my
TEK emulator (VLT for the Amiga), and it works with only a couple of bugs on
NCSA Telnet for the Mac.  Apparently the VT640 commands are pretty close to
those of a real TEK.

Ronald Parker
phys59@jetson.uh.edu
watch this space for a clever saying - delivery Real Soon Now.

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/25/91)

 In article <1991Mar18.131736.385@sc2a.unige.ch> plaut@sc2a.unige.ch writes:

>I would like to use a Tektronix 4105 graphic terminal as WYSIWYG previewer
>for TeX/LaTeX.

>I tried DVITOVDU with VDU=(AED,ANSI,REGIS,VIS500,VIS550) but it doesn't
>match.

>Does anyone on the net know if such a terminal can be use for this
>purpose ?

What version of the previewer are you using?

Incidentally, if my memory of the 4105 which used to appear in
various terminal rooms at Mudd is correct, it won't suit your
needs anyway since a TeX workstation needs to work well for
editing text as well as for displaying graphics (unless you have
a VT next to the TEK ;-).

Incidentally, the following will work on VMS to find out what
VDUs are supported on your version of DVItoVDU:

DVITOVDU NL:/VDU=?

(it'll give an error message, but will also list all the VDUs)

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu