[comp.text.tex] text upside down in TeX or LaTeX

GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) (03/18/91)

Is it possible to put text upside down in TeX or LaTeX ? (and if so,
how is it done). I'd like to use it for printing cassette labels.
Yes, I did look at cassette.tex but didn't like the output. If
my desktop publisher can do better TeX should be able to do it
too 8-) Thanx in advance
      Ives Aerts           |          IBM definition SY-34378
GUTEST8@BLEKUL11.BITNET    |   A signature consists of sequences of
gutest8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be | non-blank characters separated by blanks.

<HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (03/19/91)

If what you meant was to rotate the text 90 or 180 degree then you can use the
DVIDRV from the emTeX package by Eberhard Mattes. It can work on various
printers. Hope this helps.

Minhhuy H\^o
Queen's University
Kingston, ON Canada

xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) (03/20/91)

In article <91078.084301HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
* If what you meant was to rotate the text 90 or 180 degree then you can use the
* DVIDRV from the emTeX package by Eberhard Mattes. It can work on various
* printers. Hope this helps.
*

This is true. But this feature works on a *page* basis so one has to use
``print twice'' technique if one just needs portion of a page to be rotated.

I have seen rotate.sty or rotate.tex which handles postscripts. However one
needs a dvips/postscript printer in order to use rotate.sty[tex].
--
xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) (03/20/91)

In article <91077.150516GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be>, Ives Aerts
<GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> says:

>Is it possible to put text upside down in TeX or LaTeX ? (and if so,
>how is it done). I'd like to use it for printing cassette labels.

I just came up with this solution: design a font that's upside down
(anyone who has such a font ?) and make a style, say /begin{upsidedown}
, that reverses all the text on a line. Is this possible ?

mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Eberhard Mattes) (03/22/91)

In article <66407@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:

In article <91078.084301HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
> If what you meant was to rotate the text 90 or 180 degree then you can use the
> DVIDRV from the emTeX package by Eberhard Mattes. It can work on various
> printers. Hope this helps.

In article <66407@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:

>   This is true. But this feature works on a *page* basis so one has to use
>  ``print twice'' technique if one just needs portion of a page to be rotated.

Put the text you want upside-down into an extra tex file and run the
dvi file through dvimsp, with rotation/reflection turned on. Then,
you can insert the file created by dvimsp into your main document
by using \special{em:graph ...}. This `print once' technique also
works with the screen previewer.

--
    Eberhard Mattes (mattes@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de)

des@frogland.inmos.co.uk (David Shepherd) (03/26/91)

In article <66407@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
|> I have seen rotate.sty or rotate.tex which handles postscripts. However one
|> needs a dvips/postscript printer in order to use rotate.sty[tex].

quite easy to do this with dvitops. because you can define regions in
the postcript output to manipulate you can rotate the block of text
you want, and with nefarious TeX-ery you can make TeX see the block as
being its rotated size.

\newcount\regionnum

\def\newregion{\global\advance\regionnum by 1}
\def\region{reg\the\regionnum}

\newbox\rotatedtextbox

\def\PSrotated{\setbox\rotatedtextbox=\hbox\bgroup}
\def\endPSrotated{\egroup\newregion
	\special{dvitops: begin \region}%
        \rule{0mm}{\wd\rotatedtextbox}%
	\rule{\ht\rotatedtextbox}{0mm}%
	\mbox{}%
	\special{dvitops: origin \region}%
	\ht\rotatedtextbox=0mm \dp\rotatedtextbox=0mm \wd\rotatedtextbox=0mm%
	\box\rotatedtextbox%
	\special{dvitops: end}%
	\special{dvitops: rotate \region\space -90}%
        }

david shepherd: des@inmos.co.uk or des@inmos.com    tel: 0454-616616 x 529
                inmos ltd, 1000 aztec west, almondsbury, bristol, bs12 4sq
                Leland says,   you're going back to Missoula  ...  MONTANA