[comp.text.tex] How to get out if wrong filename?

momma@is.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Stefan Momma) (03/20/91)

In article <66410@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:

>   Since I am posting, I have a small question for long time: When I supply a
>   wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a correct filename:'' If I know
>   the filename that is fine, but sometimes I have to check directory and
>   I find it difficult to get out of there. [On unix, Control-C won't do
>   and one has to use Control-Z. On msdos with emTeX I don't know how to do it.
>   I have to reboot the PC :-( or supply any old thing [even though it is not
>   a tex file] in order to get out of there.] Any one has the same experience?
>   And come up with a smarter solution?
>
>   --
>   xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!xiaofei / v118raqa@ubvms.bitnet

A quick and dirty solution is to create an empty file called null.tex
in your TEXINPUTS directory, and to use that name whenever it asks you
for the name of a file that you don't have at hand. Control-C should
work then during the processing of that file (i.e. with the normal
interrupt message that allows you to exit with "x").

--
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
most frequent last words: " Uh-oh !"

racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) (03/20/91)

In article <MOMMA.91Mar20111907@is.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> momma@is.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de writes:

>In article <66410@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:
>
>>   Since I am posting, I have a small question for long time: When I supply a
>>   wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a correct filename:'' If I know
>>   the filename that is fine, but sometimes I have to check directory and
>>   I find it difficult to get out of there. [On unix, Control-C won't do
>>   and one has to use Control-Z. On msdos with emTeX I don't know how to do it.
>>   I have to reboot the PC :-( or supply any old thing [even though it is not
>>   a tex file] in order to get out of there.] Any one has the same experience?
>>   And come up with a smarter solution?

My solution for emTeX running under MS-DOS 3.30 is to use a batch file
called tex.bat as follows:

-----------tex.bat

@echo off
:begin
@cls
if not exist %1.tex goto error
if exist f:\texerr.bat del f:\texerr.bat
@d:\emtex\tex /a=f:\texerr.bat %1
if not exist f:\texerr.bat goto end
call f:\texerr.bat
goto begin
:error
@echo The file %1.tex does not exist!
:end

----------

My f: drive is a ramdrive, and the file texerr.bat is created by emTeX
if there is an error (by the /a switch). If there is an error and you
hit `e' at the TeX `?' (for edit), the file emtexed.bat is executed
which runs my editor (MicroEmacs 3.10) and takes me to the line of the
file where my error is. Upon exiting emacs, emTeX is automatically
re-run, so you can iterate. Saves alot of time. Oh, and if the file
you specified does not exist, nothing is run (your original question).

---------emtexed.bat

f:\emacs.exe %2 -G%1

---------

Hope this helps.

Jeff Racine
racine@nexus.yorku.ca
racine@yunexus.UUCP

terryb.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (terry bohning) (03/21/91)

> In article <MOMMA.91Mar20111907@is.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> momma@is.info
> >

> >In article <66410@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei
> >
> >>   Since I am posting, I have a small question for long time: When I supply
> >>   wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a correct filename:'' If I know
> >>   the filename that is fine, but sometimes I have to check directory and
> >>   I find it difficult to get out of there. [On unix, Control-C won't do
> >>   and one has to use Control-Z. On msdos with emTeX I don't know how to do
> >>   I have to reboot the PC :-( or supply any old thing [even though it is n
> >>   a tex file] in order to get out of there.] Any one has the same experien
> >>   And come up with a smarter solution?

On my version of PCTeX, typing "nul" as the "correct" filename will
allow me to exit.

mark@motown.altair.fr (Mark James) (03/21/91)

In article <66410@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei Wang) writes:

>When I supply a
>wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a correct filename:'' If I know
>the filename that is fine, but sometimes I have to check directory and
>I find it difficult to get out of there. [On unix, Control-C won't do
>and one has to use Control-Z. On msdos with emTeX I don't know how to do it.
>I have to reboot the PC :-(

Can't help you with MS-DOS, but under Unix, control/D will get you out.

--
=== T. Mark James           ==== All opinions, errors etc are my own.
=== mark@bdblues.altair.fr  ==== "Hardware is that part of a computer

aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) (03/21/91)

> When I supply the wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a
> correct filename:'' If I know

At the risk of starting a discussion on what the ``correct'' behavior
should be, I do not think that a program as sophisticated as TeX
should force you to do something against your will, i.e., enter a file
name.  Often when porting .tex files to different systems, users don't
realize they need style files which are local to a particular system.
Rather than get into an endless loop asking for information that
cannot be supplied, TeX should just accept a <carriage return> and
pretend nothing happened, just as it does for undefined control
sequences and the like.  TeX can just process the main file,
accumulate a lot of errors and the user can fix things later.

Also null.tex is not a standard feature.  I can't find it documented
in THE BOOK.

kcb@hss.caltech.edu (KC Border) (03/22/91)

In article <gkL5y1w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> terryb.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (terry bohning) writes:
> In article <MOMMA.91Mar20111907@is.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> momma@is.info
> >

> >In article <66410@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> xiaofei@acsu.buffalo.edu (Xiaofei
> >
> >   Since I am posting, I have a small question for long time: When I supply
> >   wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a correct filename:'' If I know
> >   the filename that is fine, but sometimes I have to check directory and
> >   I find it difficult to get out of there. [On unix, Control-C won't do
> >   and one has to use Control-Z. On msdos with emTeX I don't know how to do
> >   I have to reboot the PC :-( or supply any old thing [even though it is n
> >   a tex file] in order to get out of there.] Any one has the same experien
> >   And come up with a smarter solution?
>
>On my version of PCTeX, typing "nul" as the "correct" filename will
>allow me to exit.

That's because you have an empty file named nul.tex in your TEXINPUTS
path.  This is a good idea that's been mentioned before.  BTW, the
NeXT implementation of TeX by Tom Rokicki also allows you to type
Control-D to kill the process.  This is an even better idea.
Kim C. Border			Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences
kcb@hss.caltech.edu		228-77
				California Institute of Technology
				Pasadena, California 91125

ben@servalan.uucp (Ben Mesander) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.150225.2566@eddie.mit.edu> aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) writes:

>> When I supply the wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a
>> correct filename:'' If I know
>
>At the risk of starting a discussion on what the ``correct'' behavior
>should be, I do not think that a program as sophisticated as TeX
>should force you to do something against your will, i.e., enter a file
>name.

Under UNIX I just hit a ctrl-D to such silly prompts. EOF seems to stop it
just fine...

aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar22.035113.4212@servalan.uucp> ben@servalan.uucp (Ben Mesander) writes:
>In article <1991Mar21.150225.2566@eddie.mit.edu> aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) writes:
>>
>>> When I supply the wrong file name, TeX keeps say ``give me a
>>> correct filename:'' If I know
>>
>>At the risk of starting a discussion on what the ``correct'' behavior
>>should be, I do not think that a program as sophisticated as TeX
>>should force you to do something against your will, i.e., enter a file
>>name.
>
>Under UNIX I just hit a ctrl-D to such silly prompts. EOF seems to stop it
>just fine...

That's NOT the point.  TeX should, at the users's option, ignore an
\input request and continue to process the main file.  Yes, you can
terminate the job, but that should be your LAST resort.

przemek@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Przemek Klosowski) (03/27/91)

Aryeh> That's NOT the point.  TeX should, at the users's option, ignore an
Aryeh> \input request and continue to process the main file.  Yes, you can
Aryeh> terminate the job, but that should be your LAST resort.

Let me just point out that the common solution to that is to have the
file `null.tex' in your TEXINPUT directory, containing something like
\typeout{Null file}
--
			przemek klosowski (przemek@ndcva.cc.nd.edu)
			Physics Dept