[comp.text.tex] Re. Getting rid of minus signs

pi@eng.cam.ac.uk (Pablo Iglesias) (03/28/91)

I wrote the following:

> I want to create a command in LaTeX which would do the following:
>
> \negate{A} would give me -A.
> \negate{-A} would give me A.

I want to thank the several people who answered my query.   The
following, due to David Carlisle was the first answer I got, and
seemed to do what I wanted quite well.

-Pablo

% Document Type: LaTeX
% Master File: xx.tex
%
\documentstyle{article}

\makeatletter
\def\neg@te{\@ifnextchar-{\@gobble}{-}}
\def\negate#1{\neg@te#1}
\makeatother

\begin{document}

$\negate{-7}$

$\negate{88}$

$\negate{99} + \negate{-99} = 0$
\end{document}
--
Pablo Iglesias                  Phone : +44 223 332813
Department of Engineering       Fax   : +44 223 332662

pi@eng.cam.ac.uk (Pablo Iglesias) (03/28/91)

I wrote
> I want to create a command in LaTeX which would do the following:
>
> \negate{A} would give me -A.
> \negate{-A} would give me A.

I want to thank the several people who answered my query.  The
following, due to David Carlisle was the first solution that
I got, and it did exactly what I wanted.  I include it in case
anyone else wants to know.

-Pablo
% Document Type: LaTeX
% Master File: xx.tex