[comp.text.tex] \symbol{} in Latex

vanwyk@longfellow.ecn.purdue.edu (Kenric D VanWyk) (03/27/91)

In general, how does one find a particular symbol.  I need to
include the temperature degree symbol, as in 1000 \degree Celsius.
Although I am familiar with Latex, in the past I have found all
the symbols I need as part of the math symbols in Latex.  Page 200
of the Latex manual indicates that symbols are included with
\symbol{\it num} from the current font.  So the question is:
if you are looking for a particular symbol, but don't know what
font it might be included in, how do you find it?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.  Please e-mail responses.

Thanks,
kenric

vanwyk@ecn.purdue.edu

robin@castle.ed.ac.uk (R C Smith) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar26.180629.10534@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> vanwyk@longfellow.ecn.purdue.edu (Kenric D VanWyk) writes:
>In general, how does one find a particular symbol.  I need to
>include the temperature degree symbol, as in 1000 \degree Celsius.

I use $1000^{\circ}$ Celsius