[comp.text.tex] IPA and ``wordprocessing''?

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (03/23/91)

Hi!

I was wondering what people do to edit text with IPA symbols in it.
I ocassionally (couple of times a month) need to do this and doing
it in straight ASCII is getting to be a bore.

Assumably someone who does IPA more often than I has already done
up a font for TeX in MetaFont, if so that would be useful.  It
would be nice, though, if it were a bit more ``user-friendly'',
but at the same time I still need to produce straight ASCII files.

The systems available are Unix (various flavors) and Amiga.  I
emphatically do NOT have a PeeCee clone nor MacIntosh.

Any help would be appreciated ..

	David

dhosek@freke.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/23/91)

In article <8788@gollum.twg.com>, david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
> Assumably someone who does IPA more often than I has already done
> up a font for TeX in MetaFont, if so that would be useful.

There is a font for TeX for IPA available from ymir.claremont.edu
in [anonymous.tex.mf.ipa].

Those who may have attempted to work with the fonts in the past
may be pleased to hear that the documentation is now available in
LaTeX as well as TeXt1.

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu

00prneubauer@bsu-ucs.uucp (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.212313.1@freke.claremont.edu>, dhosek@freke.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:
> In article <8788@gollum.twg.com>, david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>> Assumably someone who does IPA more often than I has already done
>> up a font for TeX in MetaFont, if so that would be useful.
>
> There is a font for TeX for IPA available from ymir.claremont.edu
> in [anonymous.tex.mf.ipa].
>
> Those who may have attempted to work with the fonts in the past
> may be pleased to hear that the documentation is now available in
> LaTeX as well as TeXt1.

I am certainly pleased to hear that.  I cobbled up something like I
imagined the intent of the macros I found to be.  (Stick _that_ in
your parser. :-)  Eventually somebody told me about TeXt1, but I never
bothered to actually get TeXt1 working so that I could find out how
closely (or otherwise) my LaTeX version of the WSUIPA doc resembled
the original.

BTW, I have also managed to build a sans serif version of the fonts.
The WSU people who made up the IPA font on ymir left the original CM
code intact when they could, so there is code for sans serif, but they
obviously never tested it.  There were several characters where the
sans serif code had to be modified.  It did things like refer to
points on the nonexistent serifs.  I can supply the mods to anyone
who is interested.  (Don?)
========
Paul Neubauer	neubauer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu         00prneubauer@bsu-ucs.bsu.edu
                neubauer@bsu-cs.UUCP            00prneubauer@bsu-ucs.UUCP
                                                00PRNEUBAUER@BSUVAX1.BITNET

emma@russell.Stanford.EDU (Emma Pease) (03/27/91)

In <1991Mar25.102135.239@bsu-ucs.uucp> 00prneubauer@bsu-ucs.uucp writes:

>BTW, I have also managed to build a sans serif version of the fonts.
>The WSU people who made up the IPA font on ymir left the original CM
>code intact when they could, so there is code for sans serif, but they
>obviously never tested it.  There were several characters where the
>sans serif code had to be modified.  It did things like refer to
>points on the nonexistent serifs.  I can supply the mods to anyone
>who is interested.  (Don?)
>========

Let me add my two cents, I have also been modifying and extending the
WSU IPA.  Several years ago not knowing of the WSU work, I also began
work on an IPA (more or less as the people around here needed the
characters).  When I compared my stuff with the WSU stuff, I found I
preferred some of my characters, and, that I had some stuff that they
didn't have. (We had a person here a few years ago working on a
Hausa-English dictionary, so, we have such things as hooked capital D,
B, and K.)  If people are interested in looking at them, they can
anonymous ftp them from csli.stanford.edu,
pub/TeXfiles/Phonetic.tar.Z.

At the moment, I am trying to improve a few characters and trying to
adapt the style files (latex) to use the Mittelbach/Schoepf font
scheme.

Emma Pease
emma@csli.stanford.edu

ecsv24@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Bradfield) (03/28/91)

In <18418@russell.Stanford.EDU> emma@russell.Stanford.EDU (Emma Pease) writes:

>Let me add my two cents, I have also been modifying and extending the
>WSU IPA.  Several years ago not knowing of the WSU work, I also began
>work on an IPA (more or less as the people around here needed the

>Emma Pease
>emma@csli.stanford.edu

I too started this, and continued when I found the WSU fonts
unsatisfactory. Maybe we should have a grand collection of everybody's
phonetic letters?