[comp.text.tex] Help with a DUMB question

darius@edm.isac.CA (Darius S. Naqvi) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar14.043626.27609@leland.Stanford.EDU> rsingh@elaine3.Stanford.EDU (Rajesh Kumar Singh) writes:
>This is pretty dumb, so I have restricted distribution to ca.
>I am usingh csh on a Sparc and VISUAL=/usr/ucb/vi is set.
>Still, latex loads emacs rather than vi when I respond with
>an "e" at some error prompt.
>
>Programs like mail etc are able to understand this and call
>up vi.  So far only trouble is with LaTeX.  What should I do?
>Do I need some file like .latexrc?

TeX needs more than the editor name; it needs to know how to start the
editor at a specific line of a specific file.  If you're using the
usual UNIX web2c version of TeX, then you have to set an environment
variable TEXEDIT to start an editor at a specific line.  It looks like
the compiled-in default for your TeX is

       TEXEDIT=/usr/local/bin/emacs +%d %s

You'll want to have TEXEDIT=/usr/ucb/vi +%d %s

Then, when you press "e", TeX (or LaTeX, whichever one you're running)
will start editing the file that it was complaining about, at the line
it was complaining about.  (This is assuming that vi lets you do
+line-number; I never use it myself, so I don't know.)
--
Darius S. Naqvi                    mail:darius@edm.isac.ca
ISA Corp.                          uucp:{uunet,alberta}!ncc!isagate!darius