[comp.text.tex] TeXtures 1.2 Large Letter Quality

terryb.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (terry bohning) (03/27/91)

Does anyone know why TeXtures 1.2 on a Macintosh would produce
poor quality letters in the larger sizes (chapter, etc.) on a
Postscript laser printer?

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/27/91)

In article <cu5FZ4w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> terryb.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (terry bohning) writes:
>Does anyone know why TeXtures 1.2 on a Macintosh would produce
>poor quality letters in the larger sizes (chapter, etc.) on a
>Postscript laser printer?

The reason for the high price of TeXtures is supposed to be the support
they provide.  So why not call them and ask them??
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

lehtonen@jyu.fi (Ari Lehtonen) (03/28/91)

(terry bohning) writes:
>Does anyone know why TeXtures 1.2 on a Macintosh would produce
>poor quality letters in the larger sizes (chapter, etc.) on a
>Postscript laser printer?

Standard Textures comes with CM fonts for magnifications of
\magstep0, half and 1, only. To get larger characters print
smoothly you need the Complete CM Font Package from Blue Sky
Research, on their new CM/PS Fonts. These latter fonts
are PostScript outlines for TeX's Computer Modern fonts
and they can be scaled to any size (well, I think TeX may have
some restrictions for \magnification). CM/PS Fonts cost some $$,
but they take only little disk space. The Complete Package
costs less, but it takes lots of disk space (all CM&LaTeX fonts
together take nearly 25 MB); the problem here is that the font
cases used by Textures are PXL files, not packed PK files,
as they usually are on PC's or UNIX machines.
/====================================================\
|                   Ari Lehtonen                     |
| Dept. of Mathematics | BITnet   : LEHTONEN@FINJYU  |
| Univ. of Jyvaskyla   | Internet : lehtonen@jyu.fi  |
| P.O Box 35           | Phone    : +358 41 602 718  |
| SF-40351  JYVASKYLA  | Fax      : +358 41 602 701  |
|                   FINLAND                          |
\====================================================/
--
   ________
  ! ------ !

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.135326.10622@jyu.fi>, lehtonen@jyu.fi (Ari Lehtonen) writes:
> These latter fonts
> are PostScript outlines for TeX's Computer Modern fonts
> and they can be scaled to any size (well, I think TeX may have
> some restrictions for \magnification).

TeX's restrictions on what sizes can be loaded are: minimum step
size of 0.01%; minimum magnification factor of 0.01% and maximum
magnification of 327.68% I believe that this somewhat exceeds the
capabilities of PostScript (hmm ptmr scaled 32768 is the
equivalent of saying ptmr at 126 yards!)

-dh