[comp.text.tex] Okay, I admit it, I don't understan

davidb@inmet.inmet.com (03/29/91)

/* Written  5:56 pm  Mar 24, 1991 by phys59@jetson.uh.edu */

>Yeah, I have the same question (sort of).  Why does this not work:
>\vfill\hbox{...}\vfill\eject\end
>but this does:
>~hbox{}\vfill\hbox{...}\vfill\eject\end
>The idea is to vertically center the stuff in the middle \hbox.

Believe it or not, this is documented.  Both vfill and hfill do not
have any affect at the beginning of a page/line recpectively.  Try
vfill* and hfill*.

						Dave Barton
						barton@i2wash.com

geoff@ITcorp.com (Geoff Kuenning) (03/29/91)

In article <121700003@inmet> davidb@inmet.inmet.com writes:

> Believe it or not, this is documented.  Both vfill and hfill do not
> have any affect at the beginning of a page/line recpectively.  Try
> vfill* and hfill*.

Um, *where* is this documented, Dave?  I did find a reference in the
LaTeX manual (page 96) to "\hspace*{\fill}" -- but neither the TeX nor
the LaTeX manual mentions hfill* or vfill*.  I checked every
cross-reference under "hfil" and "hfill" to be sure, as well as most
under "vfil".  And while \hspace*{\fill} does have an effect, it
doesn't seem to solve my original problem, which was to get \epsffile
figures centered on the page.  (When I tried \hfill*, I got an
asterisk in my figure, so I presume you misremembered and were
thinking of \hspace*).

Sometimes I really think I'd be better off going to a WYSIWYG system...
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (03/30/91)

davidb@inmet.inmet.com writes:

> Both vfill and hfill do not
>have any affect at the beginning of a page/line recpectively.

Beg pardon?

---
\hfill a\par\bye
---