[comp.text.tex] TeXhax Digest V91 #016

TeXhax@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (03/31/91)

TeXhax Digest    Friday,  March 29, 1991  Volume 91 : Issue 016

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

                              BITNET woes
                           TeX help systems
           single-col abstract and title in latex twocol style
                                dvi2lj
                     small bug in equations.sty
                         dview31 for Toshiba
                         eplain 1.8 released
             ImakeTeX 2.01 released for TeX 3.1 and MF 2.7
                        C++ WEB and TeXniColor
                         Re: Literate PROLOG
                             Cyrillic fonts
        Changing the character code in LaTex \itemize environment
                         TeX, LaTeX, MuTeX, .pk
                        mode_defs, standardizing

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 17:03:17 -0800
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: BITNET woes

Michael Barr writes

   I received a notice that I would be dropped from the bitnet
   distribution of texhax unless I resubscribed.  I took the opportunity to
   resubscribe to this internet address that I use now.  But I have heard (I
   don't recall where) that bitnet is officially dead and any further support
   for it is unofficial.  It served us well in 1984, but I think that every
   user of internet feels that serves us better.  But I don't think the bitnet
   problems are going to get any better.  More and more, bitnet service will
   disappear.  You should warn the bitnet subscribers of this so that they can
   pressure their computing centers to do something about it.

Can anyone confirm this?

Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software should be sent primarily
to:	elisabet@max.u.washington.edu           Elizabeth Tachikawa
otherwise to:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Thomson Hall, Mail Stop DR-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 16:54 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: TeX help systems

I'm just finishing the development stage of a help system for TeX
which I will be presenting in Boston.

It is PC-specific, and I have used portions of several existing other
systems. Are there any pointers to current developments elsewhere, eg
the VMS LSE files, help under ?Atari, ?Amiga, ?unix man pages etc, so
i can check consistency?

///Peter

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 15:37 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: single-col abstract and title in latex twocol style

A user needs to use twocolumn output in article style, but needs the
title and abstract full width, above the start of the two column section.
This is (by observation) the normal layout foir academic articles, but
LL seems to have designed it out of LaTeX for some reason. Is there some
simple fix to make it work?

///Peter

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 6:57:50 MST
From: Billy Joel <riedesel@daneel.den.mmc.com>
Subject: dvi2lj

I'm looking for a complete C version of a dvi to laserjet program.
I've found a web version and the texdvi-to-laserjet programs.  The
web version unfortunately gives me pascal code which I can't use.  The
other seems to be missing a "fontdesc" file (or I don't know what it is
supposed to be).

Can anyone provide some good pointers on this.  I have an epson printer that
emulates HP LJIIP, HP LJII, HP LJ+, and HP LJ.  I am running SysVR3.2 UNIX.

Thanks,

Joel Riedesel
jriedesel@den.mmc.com

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 12:40:36 EST
From: karney@lyman.pppl.gov (Charles Karney)
Subject: small bug in equations.sty

Guy Metcalfe (guy@phy.duke.edu) wrote in TeXhax V91 #4:

    There is a small bug in equations.sty.  The \lefteqn command is
    ignored.  Without using equations.sty, the following example prints as
    I would expect from p. 50 of the latex manual: the first line is
    shoved over to the left while the second is centered.  However, with
    equations the R_c is aligned with -19.9---as if \lefteqn were not
    there at all.

    \documentstyle[11pt,equations]{article}
    \begin{document}
    \begin{eqnarray}
    \label{eqn:F2nd}
    \lefteqn{R_c \approx R_{c\circ} + 24.6(\epsilon_1 \epsilon_2)
	    + 10.2(\epsilon_1 - \epsilon_2)^2} \\
	    & & - 19.9\epsilon_2(\epsilon_1 \rho/\rho_s - \epsilon_3) \nonumber
    \end{eqnarray}
    \end{document}

Actually, that's a feature.  The modified eqnarray typesets everything at
its "natural" width.  Thus
    \begin{equation}
	a = b
    \end{equation}
and
    \begin{eqnarray}
	a &=& b
    \end{eqnarray}
should look the same.  Given this constraint, your example has to work the
way it does with the modified eqnarray.  (Incidentally, the \lefteqn is NOT
being ignored by eqnarray.  Without the \lefteqn the end of the first line
would be aligned with the beginning of the second line.)

I suggest you use explicit spacing command (e.g., \qquad) after the
\lefteqn command to account for the default space the old eqnarray left for
the binary relation.  For example:

\begin{eqnarray}
\label{eqn:F2nd}
\lefteqn{R_c \approx R_{c\circ} + 24.6(\epsilon_1 \epsilon_2)
	+ 10.2(\epsilon_1 - \epsilon_2)^2} \qquad\\
	& & - 19.9\epsilon_2(\epsilon_1 \rho/\rho_s - \epsilon_3) \nonumber
\end{eqnarray}

   Charles Karney
   Plasma Physics Laboratory	  E-mail:  Karney@Princeton.EDU
   Princeton University		  Phone:   +1 609 243 2607
   Princeton, NJ 08543-0451	  FAX:	   +1 609 243 2662

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 11:14:26 +0200
From: sirius!strangas@csi.forth.gr (Hlias Strangas)
Subject: dview31 for Toshiba

I am using dview31 (taken from simtel) to preview dvi files on a
Toshiba PC.  It works fine, but it uses only 128 instead of 256
characters that I need.  Is there a way to either contact the author or
to get the source files?

Elias G. Strangas
strangas@frith.egr.msu.edu  or strangas%sirius.uucp@csi.forth.gr

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 12:52:19 EST
From: karl@cs.umb.edu (Karl Berry)
Subject: eplain 1.8 released

I have released Eplain version 1.8.  It is available by ftp from
ftp.cs.umb.edu [192.12.26.23] in pub/tex/eplain/eplain.tar.Z or the
contents of pub/tex/eplain (eplain.tex and eplain.texinfo are the most
important files), or from ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.1] in the directory
TeX/eplain (same file setup).

Aside from bug fixes, there are a few new (minor) features:

* Line numbers are given in undefined label messages (if you are using a
  TeX that understand \inputlineno).

* A new macro \fullmonthname expands to the unabbreviated name of the
  current month (in English).

* \testfileexistence can test for the existence of any file, not just
  files whose root is \jobname.

* A new macro \sanitize turns a token list into characters (from Ron
  Whitney); the table of contents macros use this, so that a toc line
  like 'Chapter on $\sin$ and $\cos$' gets written exactly as that,
  instead of \sin and \cos expanded.

For those (no doubt large number) of you who haven't heard of Eplain: it
is a collection of macros intended to provide relatively low-level
capabilities, regardless of how your document appears.  For example, it
has macros to do symbolic cross-referencing, but not macros to produce a
section heading.  It also has some definitions that make it easier to
change the conventions of plain TeX's output.  For example, it lets you
produce left-justified math displays by simply saying `\leftdisplays'.

karl@cs.umb.edu
karl@ai.mit.edu
...!harvard!umb!karl

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 11:46:56 EST
From: ramsdell@linus.mitre.org
Subject: ImakeTeX 2.01 released for TeX 3.1 and MF 2.7

ImakeTeX automates much of the installation of UnixTeX.  A stable
version of ImakeTeX (2.01) has been released for TeX 3.1 and MF 2.7.
The aim of the new version is to eliminate the use of features that
are not available in the important Unix implementations.  The approach
used has been to eliminate any feature that does not appear in Draft
10 of POSIX 1.002.

Changes to ImakeTeX include:

[1] use Karl Berry's "modes.mf".

[2] de-ANSI-fy string_copy() in common/extra.c

[3] change return type of sprintf() to (char *) for Suns.

[4] there's a reset macro defined in common/extra.h, which
	conflicts with its use in mf/MFwindow/sun.c

[5] if mf is to support sunview, link the sunview libraries.

[6] remove uses of double colon in makefiles for System V machines.

ImakeTeX is available via anonymous FTP from june.cs.washington.edu in
the file tex/imaketex201.tar.Z.

Thanks to Tag Guy and others.

Send bug reports to ramsdell@mitre.org.

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 23:18:17 EST
From: wds@cs.fit.edu (William D. Shoaff)
Subject: C++ WEB and TeXniColor

Two questions:

	1. Does anyone have a C++ version of WEB?
	2. How can I produce TeXniColor documents?

Comments: (1) Can I use spiderweb to create a C++ WEB
	      (if one doesn't already exist)?
	      Tell me it is easy.

	  (2) SliTeX supports color slides, but I didn't
	      install it years ago when we first got TeX.
	      Now I don't seem to have cmmf to make the fonts.
	      I'd like color for documents other than slides as well.
	      Do dvi to whatever drivers exist for this.
	      (We have a HP PaintJet.)

	Thanks,

	Bill Shoaff

	Direct replies please.

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 11:10:28 PST
From: xilinx!castor!kelem@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: Literate PROLOG

I thought about rewriting spideryweb to handle Prolog.  This would be
easy, but what you're left with is writing plain TeX (which is hardly
Literate programming!)

I didn't want to rewrite spiderywed into LaTeX, as that would probably
be a lot of work.  Also, the reordering of code that is done in Web is
unnecessary in Prolog --- the Prolog can be reordered to suit your
writing style, so web is overkill.

Instead I write my code in .tex files.  I designate Prolog code in
\begin{Prolog} ... \end{Prolog} blocks, and displays of Prolog code in
\begin{Prologdisplay} ... \end{Prologdisplay} blocks.

When a .tex file is processed, the Prolog code is typeset in one
font and Prolog displays are typeset in a different font.  Both of
these fonts are different from the text font, so the reader can easily
distinguish between the explanatory text, the Prolog code (the program
that really gets executed), and examples of Prolog code (which
normally look just like executable code).  Short examples of Prolog
code can be written as {\pl foo_bar}/3 or in italics with {\pli foo_bar}/3.
Indices are not generated automatically, but can be specified with
\index{foo_bar/3@{{\pl foo_bar}/3}|bold}.  (The "bold" indicates that
the page number will be emboldened in the index.) Figures, tables,
equations, and hierarchical sections come for free from LaTeX.

I also have a filter which produces .pl files from .tex files.  We
modify the .tex files, not the .pl files.

If people are interested in this, I can post it to some central
repository.

Steve Kelem	(408)879-5347		xilinx!kelem@pyramid.com
Xilinx					FAX: (408)559-7114
2100 Logic Drive
San Jose, California 95124

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 16:20 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Cyrillic fonts

Can someone recommend macros to work with the Cyrillic fonts?
I am told there are two sets? Which one is better and why?

///Peter

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 15:13:53 +0100
From: muewi@oz.informatik.uni-Bremen.de (Wilhelm Mueller)
Subject: Changing the character code in LaTex \itemize environment

\renewcommand{\labelitemi}{whatever You like} % first level
\renewcommand{\labelitemii}{second level}     % and so on
                                              % up to \labelitemiv

 - Wilhelm

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 10:39:41 GMT
From: DEFLORIO%IBACSATA@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: TeX, LaTeX, MuTeX, .pk

I'm a relatively new user of \TeX and \LaTeX and I'm finding problems
with topics that appear really strange to me... I hope that there will
be people so patient to help me...
I recently downloaded \MuTeX; my problem is to generate the .pk files
(sorry! I omitted to say that I use \TeX on a PC). I have also downloaded
the public domain metafont program from Trickle but I really don't know
to create the xxx.mf files for my output devices (a VGA screen, a NEC P60
and a HP LaserJet). Can you help me? Suggestions about readings are also
highly appreciated. Thanks a lot, and again sorry for naive help requests!

    Vincenzo De Florio
    deflorio@ibacsata
    deflorio@minsky.csata.it

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 13:55:48
From: Mike Piff <PM1MJP@primea.sheffield.ac.uk>
Subject: mode_defs, standardizing

Karl Berry asks for mode_defs to be standardised.

I have just read your request for mode_defs. It was implicit that you were
only talking about PRINTERS. However, there is another problem, to do with
graphics cards. I found an HPLASER mode_def easily, and within a day had
worked out how to use it to generate fonts. However, it took a bit longer
to work out how to display the fonts online in proof mode. I use a
Hercules graphics card, and devised the appended scheme to handle various
sizes of fonts from cmr5 to cminch.

% HERCULES GRAPHICS CARD mode_defs
% Load this file after "plain.mf" to adapt to 720x348 screen resolution

base_version:=base_version&"/HGC";

screen_rows:=348; screen_cols:=720;

def openit = openwindow currentwindow
 from origin to (screen_rows,screen_cols) at (-100,260) enddef;

mode_def proof =
 proofing:=2;                   % yes, we're making full proofs
 fontmaking:=0;                 % no, we're not making a font
 tracingtitles:=1;              % yes, show titles online
 aspect_ratio:=9.5*screen_rows/(7*screen_cols);  % oblong pixels
 pixels_per_inch:=32*72.27/aspect_ratio; % that's 32 pixels per pt
 blacker:=0;                    % no additional blackness
 fillin:=0;                     % no compensation for fillin
 o_correction:=1;               % no reduction in overshoot
 enddef;

mode_def largeproof =
 proofing:=2;                   % yes, we're making full proofs
 fontmaking:=0;                 % no, we're not making a font
 tracingtitles:=1;              % yes, show titles online
 aspect_ratio:=9.5*screen_rows/(7*screen_cols);  % oblong pixels
 pixels_per_inch:=16*72.27/aspect_ratio; % that's 16 pixels per pt
 blacker:=0;                    % no additional blackness
 fillin:=0;                     % no compensation for fillin
 o_correction:=1;               % no reduction in overshoot
 enddef;

mode_def LARGEproof =
 proofing:=2;                   % yes, we're making full proofs
 fontmaking:=0;                 % no, we're not making a font
 tracingtitles:=1;              % yes, show titles online
 aspect_ratio:=9.5*screen_rows/(7*screen_cols);  % oblong pixels
 pixels_per_inch:=8*72.27/aspect_ratio; % that's 8 pixels per pt
 blacker:=0;                    % no additional blackness
 fillin:=0;                     % no compensation for fillin
 o_correction:=1;               % no reduction in overshoot
 enddef;

mode_def hugeproof =
 proofing:=2;                   % yes, we're making full proofs
 fontmaking:=0;                 % no, we're not making a font
 tracingtitles:=1;              % yes, show titles online
 aspect_ratio:=9.5*screen_rows/(7*screen_cols);  % oblong pixels
 pixels_per_inch:=4*72.27/aspect_ratio; % that's 4 pixels per pt
 blacker:=0;                    % no additional blackness
 fillin:=0;                     % no compensation for fillin
 o_correction:=1;               % no reduction in overshoot
 enddef;

mode_def HUGEproof =
 proofing:=2;                   % yes, we're making full proofs
 fontmaking:=0;                 % no, we're not making a font
 tracingtitles:=1;              % yes, show titles online
 aspect_ratio:=9.5*screen_rows/(7*screen_cols);  % oblong pixels
 pixels_per_inch:=2*72.27/aspect_ratio; % that's 2 pixels per pt
 blacker:=0;                    % no additional blackness
 fillin:=0;                     % no compensation for fillin
 o_correction:=1;               % no reduction in overshoot
 enddef;

My default proof mode was useless on a Hercules card, as it was designed
for a VGA card. Bits of characters extended offscreen.

I really think that The Metafontbook should give a few simple instructions
on running MF on a PC and Sun, say, to save a lot of time for people who
want to generate the odd size of font.

On top of that, when I finally thought I had it licked, I tried to display
EUFM10 from the new AMS collection in proof mode; I eventually puzzled out
how to do it!!

Mike Piff

From   Dr M. J. Piff, Department of Pure Mathematics, PO Box 597,
       Hicks Noisy Building Site, Hounsfield Road,
       SHEFFIELD S10 2UN, England.
Tel.   SHEFFIELD(0742) 768555 Extension 4431.
JANET  MPiff@UK.AC.SHEF.PA  or MPiff@UK.AC.SHEF.IBM

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest