[comp.text.tex] sending latex-generated dvi files through a fax modem

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (04/04/91)

In article <70822@brunix.UUCP> shr@cs.brown.edu (Seth H. Rosenzweig) writes:
>Does anyone know of a way by which I can convert a dvi file to some
>other usable format like TIFF, QFX, pbm, fbm, etc?

Here is the dope:

	1. You create a set of 200 dpi fonts using metafont.  The
	EmTeX most-recent distribution has a FAX mode in local.mf.
	Making these fonts on a PC takes forever; if someone
	points me to a decent ftp site I can put 'em there.  If you
	do try making the fonts, then do it on a Sun; don't use a
	PC.

	2. EmTeX has a program called dvimsp which generates
	bitmaps files.  In the most-recent distribution, it
	generates .msp (useless) or .pcx files.

	3. Most fax cards accept .pcx files.

This will be fax at 200 dpi, the ``fine'' resolution.  I know no
way to originate faxes out of .dvi files at low resolution.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                             The more things change, the more they stay insane.

pc@ctt.ctt.bellcore.com (04/05/91)

In article <70822@brunix.UUCP> shr@cs.brown.edu (Seth H. Rosenzweig) writes:
> I have a Hayes-compatable modem with a built-in Send FAX, and I wish
> to be able to FAX a LaTeX-generated dvi file from my PC. Generally,
> documents FAXed directly from a computer are much clearer, since they
> avoid the degradation of the scanner.

> Does anyone know of a way by which I can convert a dvi file to some
> other usable format like TIFF, QFX, pbm, fbm, etc?

there are quite a few FAX boards now that accept postscript, so your
problem reduced to finding one of these and converting DVI to PS files.

Peter Clitherow, Bellcore, pc@bellcore.com
444 Hoes Lane, Room 1H-213, Piscataway, NJ 08854-4182 (908) 699-3322