[comp.text.tex] font size in LaTeX caption

jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu (04/06/91)

My publisher just informed me that my figure and table captions must be in 8pt
but I can't figure out how to do it.  I would like to modify book.sty rather
than each \caption{} in the book. Whatever I try changes the font size but
never the baselineskip (I'm sprinkled \setlength{\baselineskip}{9pt} liberally
though the definition of \@makecaption but to no avail.)  I thought I would be
able to do the entire book without needing to learn TeX, however..... Help!

John Gillespie              jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu
Department of Genetics
University of California
Davis CA 95616

tvz@zandtwerk.Princeton.EDU (Timothy Van Zandt) (04/08/91)

In article <8713@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu writes:
>My publisher just informed me that my figure and table captions must be in 8pt
>but I can't figure out how to do it.  I would like to modify book.sty rather
>than each \caption{} in the book. Whatever I try changes the font size but
>never the baselineskip (I'm sprinkled \setlength{\baselineskip}{9pt} liberally
>though the definition of \@makecaption but to no avail.)  I thought I would be
>able to do the entire book without needing to learn TeX, however..... Help!

Try putting your size changing command in the definition of \@caption. That
is, substitute your own size command for \normalsize below:

\long\def\@caption#1[#2]#3{\par\addcontentsline{\csname
  ext@#1\endcsname}{#1}{\protect\numberline{\csname
  the#1\endcsname}{\ignorespaces #2}}\begingroup
    \@parboxrestore
    \normalsize
    \@makecaption{\csname fnum@#1\endcsname}{\ignorespaces #3}\par
  \endgroup}